cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lesovers
Adept I

5700XT Black Screen and reboots while playing games finally 100% solved

Ok finally solved my Black Screen and reboot issues while gaming on my 5700XT and have a 100% solution to the problem.

I purchased a MSI 5700XT Gaming X graphic card in November 2019 after having many AMD/ATI cards in the past since 2009 and having not issues at all with previous AMD cards. The 5700XT card has been great however in August 2020 I noticed a Black Screen and reboot after playing the Rust game for about 16 hours. In the four months since the issue has gotten much worse from every two weeks, weekly, every three days, every day, 3 x times a day and now a Black Screen reboot  6 x times a day while playing Rust.

My Computer specs include;

• Asus Prime X470-PRO Prime MB (5601 Bios)
  • Ryzen 9 3900X CPU (Noctua NH-D15 air cooler)
  • 2 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3000MHz memory
  • MSI 5700XT Gaming X graphic card
  • Seasonic Platinum 1000w power supply
  • Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL case with 2 x 140mm fans at the bottom and 120mm back fan
  • Radeon software drivers 20.2.2

I have tried a number of ways to fix the Black Screen and reboot issue while gaming including;

• Complete reinstall of Windows 10 Pro
  • New power supply (had a Corsair 860W)
  • Tried all of the Radeon software drivers from July 2019 to November 2020 using DDU to uninstall the old driver first before install
  • Selected the Standard profile for the Radeon software with “Enhanced Sync” disabled along with most other graphics settings disabled
  • Pulled the graphics card out and reinstalled
  • Tried the MSI 570XT Gaming X graphic card in a different computer and had the same Black Screen reboot issues

I feel the problem is that every 5700XT reference and partner cards are all clocked much too high from the factory (all overclocked). The only way to fix this and be 100% reliable is to setup the 5700XT to the same power and clock settings as the 5700 (non XT) card.

Using the Radeon software set the “Performance Tuning" to manual and;

• Adjust the power limit to 150Watts GPU chip power (using GPU-Z power reading and GPU at 100% load), this is -20 on the 5700XT reference card and -30 on the MSI 5700XT Gaming X card
  • Adjust the Boost Frequency to 1900Mhz max, this is limited to about 1750Mhz max by the reduced power limit anyway

You can set the power and frequency higher however the card will probably not be 100% reliable. It will however be much better than with the reference or partner card at the default settings and will not Black Screen and reboot quite as much. The performance hit for the 5700XT is about -7% to -9% which is about the 2060 super or 2070 (non -super) levels however you have a completely stable AMD graphics card.    

0 Likes
1 Solution

Unfortunately for me @goodplay is right the MSI 5700XT Gaming X card is just faulty and even at the lower GPU clock speeds the card still has Black Screen events and reboots.  As already mention I feel the black screen issue with the 5700XT is not a driver issue at all and now it is simply hardware issues with the cards. Not sure what is the actual fault with the hardware however it seems to get worst over time so could be the GPU itself because of overclocking or the power supply for example. The output filter capacitors used for the switch mode power supplies could be at fault as these are not the usual tantalum capacitors used in other 5700XT board designs and these replacement caps may degrade over time.  

I purchased an Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT O8G as a temporary replacement until the AIB 6800XT cards are widely available. The Asus card works perfectly fine!

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Interesting, but some of the early built AIB cards were, well lets say below par, and then there's the micron vs. samsung mem. chips (rumors).

The early msi gaming x was one of the not so good ones.

But hey, if your happy with perf./stability your getting................

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Memory seems to be fine and under clocking the memory does not appear to do anything for the black screen issue.

The 5700XT black screen bug appears to have been with us since the release of the AMD reference design in July 2019 so appears to be not related to any brand or model card at all. In fact some have returned their 5700XT for the black screen issues and received another brand of 5700XT card that has the exact same issue!

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/5700-xt-black-screen-crashes-in-games-on-desktop-or-using/td-p...

I have searched far and wide for an answer to the 5700XT black screen issue and there is no real answer anywhere. AMD have given the answer in the form of the 20.2.2 drivers after Hardware Unboxed survey of AMD users reported 48% experiencing driver issues however it is not fixed.

I feel the black screen issue with the 5700XT is not a driver issue at all and the 5700XT has been just clocked much too high from the start to compete with the 2070 and then the 2070 super models.     

0 Likes

Unfortunately for me @goodplay is right the MSI 5700XT Gaming X card is just faulty and even at the lower GPU clock speeds the card still has Black Screen events and reboots.  As already mention I feel the black screen issue with the 5700XT is not a driver issue at all and now it is simply hardware issues with the cards. Not sure what is the actual fault with the hardware however it seems to get worst over time so could be the GPU itself because of overclocking or the power supply for example. The output filter capacitors used for the switch mode power supplies could be at fault as these are not the usual tantalum capacitors used in other 5700XT board designs and these replacement caps may degrade over time.  

I purchased an Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT O8G as a temporary replacement until the AIB 6800XT cards are widely available. The Asus card works perfectly fine!

Good find always great when you can find stability and you are happy with it. 

I have found similar on Polaris cards. Most require the Power Limit maxed for best stability. 

I think it is the same thing. Almost all cards sold are at OC speeds yet the bios supplies reference power equaling stability nightmare without tweaking the settings. 

0 Likes