cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lesovers
Adept I

5700XT Black Screen and reboot finally 100% solved

Ok finally solved my Black Screen and reboot issues while gaming on my 5700XT and have a 100% solution to the problem.

I purchased a MSI 5700XT Gaming X graphic card in November 2019 after having many AMD/ATI cards in the past since 2009 and having not issues at all with previous AMD cards. The 5700XT card has been great however in August 2020 I noticed a Black Screen and reboot after playing the Rust game for about 16 hours. In the four months since the issue has gotten much worse from every two weeks, weekly, every three days, every day, 3 x times a day and now a Black Screen reboot  6 x times a day while playing Rust.

My Computer specs include;

• Asus Prime X470-PRO Prime MB (5601 Bios)
  • Ryzen 9 3900X CPU (Noctua NH-D15 air cooler)
  • 2 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3000MHz memory
  • MSI 5700XT Gaming X graphic card
  • Seasonic Platinum 1000w power supply
  • Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL case with 2 x 140mm fans at the bottom and 120mm back fan
  • Radeon software drivers 20.2.2

I have tried a number of ways to fix the Black Screen and reboot issue while gaming including;

• A complete reinstall of Windows 10 Pro
  • New power supply (had a Corsair 860W)
  • Tried all of the Radeon software drivers from July 2019 to November 2020 using DDU to uninstall the old driver first before install
  • Selected the Standard profile for the Radeon software with “Enhanced Sync” disabled along with most other graphics settings disabled
  • Pulled the graphics card out and reinstalled
  • Tried the MSI 5700XT Gaming X graphic card in a different computer and had the same Black Screen reboot issues

I feel the problem is that every 5700XT reference and partner cards are all clocked much too high from the factory (all overclocked). The only way to fix this and be 100% reliable is to setup the 5700XT to the same power and clock settings as the 5700 (non XT) card.

Using the Radeon software set the “Performance Tuning to manual and;

• Adjust the power limit to 150 Watts GPU chip power (using the GPU-Z power reading at 100% GPU load), this is -20 on the 570XT reference card  and -30 on the MSI 5700XT Gaming X card
  • Adjust the Boost Frequency to 1900Mhz, this is limited to 1750Mhz max by the reduced power limit

You can set the power and frequency higher however the card will probably not be 100% reliable. It will however be much better than with the reference or partner card default settings and will not Black Screen and reboot quite as much. The performance hit for the 5700XT is about -7% to -9% which is about the 2060 super or 2070 (non -super) levels however you will finnally have a completely stable AMD graphics card.    

0 Likes
0 Replies