Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nxnje
Adept I

5700xt Apex Legends (and many other games) Embarassing Performance

Hello,

I'm seriously thinking about shipping back my 5700XT Nitro+ and switching to Nvidia counterpart.
But I wanna try some more things before surrendering. Buying the 5700XT has been embarassingly frustrating but I have tried to keep the calm and trying to update again.
I have downloaded Apex Legends in order to play with some friends, and I cannot really understand what's wrong.
My friend has a Ryzen 5 3600 with a 2070 Super and he play at a quite stable framerate of 240-280 fps. I have the same system (RAM: Ballistix LT Sport 3200MhzC16, same PSU CX550M) but I have a different GPU (5700XT Nitro+).

When I play apex legends, it feels like the GPU is sleeping. It goes from 70% to 99% with no reason, and this happens into other games like Valorant (many stutters that make the game almost unplayable in gunfights), PUBG, Overwatch (super stutter and lag in heavy gunfights) and Battlefield 1 as well (even with lowest settings I can't keep a constant 144hz framerate) as well. I cannot keep a constant framerate.
I have bought a 240Hz monitor and I play even at very low settings to increase the fps and reach the highest FPS target I can, but every settings is not working. XMP is active, power options are ok, everything is set ok.
List of things I have tried:
- unlocked excellent performance in windows 10
- trying every kind of settings of the radeon panel
- pagefile 16 12288 on the SSD (another drive, performances are the same in hdd or ssd, game just loads a bit faster)
- disabled registry key "EnableUlps" (set to 0, changed from 1)
- launch options in game just unlock the fps but framerate is still dancing
- updating and rolling back to old drivers
- clean install of windows
- disabling and enabling xmp again
- set to high priority the games' processes
- disabling any overlay
- tried to disable rivatuner and hwinfo64
- tried to use dedicated audioo external device
- tried to optimize the gpu from the optimization radeon panel
- tried to work around with freesync, even worse

- tried to switch PSU, no changes (and I knew it, PSU is good)
- already tried with 3 different 5700xt (Pulse, THICC II, now Nitro+) and one 5700 (powercolor dual fan)
I'm starting to think that 5700xt is just something I shall not buy. I don't know what's wrong with drivers or what else, but I'm figuring out I'm losing so much time trying to understand what's wrong, and I'm regreting the money I have saved for not buying a Nvidia card, because I really wanted to support AMD's work on the new cards. The 3600 is a beast of CPU, but 5700series GPUs are quite frustrating.

Hope someone can give new advices because I'm going out of mind: spent 450$ for a video card that gives me 10000 more problems if compared to my old and lower gtx1060 which didn't even crash once at the time.

13 Replies
bstrd
Journeyman III

HI

Im also having this problem with mini stutter (frame drops). I resolved this by turning off recording within radeon software.

Now im able to play maybe 4 to 5 games of warzone before the stutter comes back, restart game and then it works again.

My temps are good and when it works its really smooth. If I alt tab when the stuttering occurs my desktop also stutters.    Very frustrating.

5700xt red dragon

ryzen5 2600x   

msi x470 gaming pro

16gb 3200 ram

Hello, thanks for answering.

I'm not recording, and I don't even have Relive installed so I cannoy really pop out from this issue as I have tried everything and I still don't have any fix.

I have even installed GTA V and I have constant freezes that make it unplayable. I cannot believe I spent 450$ for a GPU that gives me more problems than enjoyments.

Are you guys reporting your issue to AMD support: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

zodiarkt
Journeyman III

I understand that a PSU of 650 or 700 w is recommended for these graphics, or am I wrong? did you notice how much w is consumed by the graph at the time of playing?

For those who have a problem with their controller, please follow these steps.

1. Download the driver 20.4.2
2. Download DDU for a clean driver installation.
3. Enter the safe mode of your windows.
4. Start DDU and click on the option Clean and turn off (To install a new graphics card)
5. Turn on the PC and enter safe mode again.
6. Install the driver you downloaded 20.4.2
7. Test your stability in games.
8. This is always done every time you change new graphics cards.

0 Likes

I have even tried with a Antec EA650G, so it's not PSU's fault.

For the other thing, I always use DDU and install the driver only after cleaning drivers to avoid issues. 

I think it'a a problem of the driver but it feels like AMD is not changing the situation, this is a big issue and they only think about adding new stuff, improving the interface and bla bla bla. 

I have tried any kind of workaround but card is still downclocking in 1080p while if I mount it in another PC and try QHD the card boosts well and works in a nice way, with just some microstutters and microlags. 

I'm getting nervous becase I have tried a RTX 2070S from a friend in my PC and that works so good, so it's not even a matter of CPU bottleneck. 

I have now tried DDU again and clean install through safe mode, still getting high stutters in 240hz both in apex legeds, overwatch and valorant. Cannot believe what's happening after spending 450$ for a GPU whose drivers fail so hard.

0 Likes
chusbiker
Adept I

Hello fro spain, sorry for English . I have problems with Apex too. I have tested all drivers possible; when I am playing these shadows surround me wherever I look. 

sombras2.jpg

0 Likes

Did you try to repair the game in the origin launcher? 

0 Likes

Yes I have already tried yesterday. No changes for now

Il Sab 6 Giu 2020, 22:06 zodiarkt <amd-external@jiveon.com> ha scritto:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: 5700xt Apex Legends (and many other games) Embarassing Performance in

Graphics

0 Likes

Had this issue as well. After 19.12.1 I didn't get them anymore. Try with

DDU if you didn't and then install 19.12.1 drivers. That's how I solved.

Il Sab 6 Giu 2020, 21:55 chusbiker <amd-external@jiveon.com> ha scritto:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: 5700xt Apex Legends (and many other games) Embarassing Performance in

Graphics

chusbiker
Adept I

Hi, I didn't try. I was playing with gtx 960 without problems. I bought the msi RX 5700 I used DD application and after installed the RX with adrenalin.

0 Likes
edwin84
Adept I

Did you disable hpet?

0 Likes
edwin84
Adept I

I had the same problem. Disable hpet and restart you pc. 

To disable hpet you have to open cmd as administrator and run the command bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock.

I hope this helps

chusbiker
Adept I

I solved the problems repairing the game with origin, thanks!