5700xt and VGA power issues

MOBO: Asus Rog Strix B450-F Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB RAM at 3200

GPU: Nitro+ 5700xt

PSU: EVGA supernova 650W

OS: windows 10 home x64, version 2004, os build 19041.508

Monitors: Acer ED242QR, Viewsonic VX2758-c-mh

CPU and GPU at factory defaults. Only "overclock" is the RAM enabled for DOCP profile and that's it.

For a while I held off some windows updates because I saw issues of people reporting black screens, GPU problems, etc. After countless weeks of putting them off there was a small update that came in about updating the net framework. I thought all was fine to do that, but then my issue came in.

Ever since this update, I have been having issues with my MOBO detecting my GPU. After a full shut down, if I go to turn it back on then sometimes (not all the time) the white LED will come on with my MOBO, which indicates a VGA problem. I can restart my system to my heart's content, but nothing will change it. Power cycle the PSU: nope. Use my case's reset button: nope.

It just randomly decides to do this ever since that specific windows update. As I am typing this on my system, this was one of the times it decided to boot and post just fine. Other times it is like it is stuck in a cycle of not being able to post and not being able to get past that white LED. The only thing I have ever done to get it to temporarily go back to "normal" is having to constantly unplug my GPU from the system and then plugging it back in, and this somehow does something good. Around this same time that I updated too, I updated to the Radeon 20.9.1 drivers (which has caused enough issues with some games for me anyway), and then the 20.92 drivers that recently came out (which have caused even further issues and DX12 crashes in certain games as well, but this is manageable). I tried reverting to before even the 20.9.1 to 20.8.3 and the issue persists when it did not before with 20.8.3, so it may not be a driver issue at all but rather the GPU or PSU.

At this rate I cannot tell if it is a driver issue, a hardware one, or a combo of the two. The GPU seems to be fine on its own, since if it was broken I doubt it would turn on at all regardless if I unplug and replug my GPU power cables in.

Steps to Reproduce: If system already on and functioning, perform a full shut down (start menu) or enter into sleep mode. Attempt to wake or turn on PC and now the GPU cannot be detected, although all other components receive power and are on. To bandaid fix: flip PSU switch off, unplug GPU's VGA power cables from the GPU, replug them in, flip PSU switch to on, and turn system on as normal.

0 Likes
0 Replies