cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

brandon5879
Journeyman III

5700XT AE - Do I Need to RMA?

So, like many others in this community, I recently purchases a 5700XT (Anniversary Edition).

This card was put into a newly built PC: Gigabyte Aorus x570, 3600X, 32GB DDR 3200 Memory

When I did the initial build of the PC 19.7.2 drivers had already released, so those are the drivers that I installed initially. Everything ran great for the first couple hours while playing DCS, Anthem, Arma 3, Rainbow Six, and Forza Horizon; I really wanted to put the card through its paces to see what it could do. 

I then started seeing "black screen" crashes that required me to perform a hard reboot of my PC and some artifacting (although the artifacting only occurred in title screens with very high FPS). It was at this point that I booted into safe mode and ran DDU and tried 19.7.1; I initially found some stability, but then the very same issues returned. Black screen driver crashes that require a reboot. I also saw something that I hadn't seen before and I wish I would've recorded it. On some of these crashes, instead of the black screen, the screen would be populated by these weird uniform symbols that were red and green that would "shift" back and forth in a uniform pattern; it wasn't artifacting, I have never seen anything like it before. 

This was followed up by me running DDU again and going back to 19.7.2. At this point I had read to not touch anything in Wattman, not enable suggested settings, etc and that Wattman may have been causing the crashes. Again, this found me some stability, but after several hours and a restart later, the crashes were back (just the black screen crashes). 

My most recent troubleshooting step seemed to be the most stable so far, but I have seen 2 black screen driver crashes using it as well. I uninstalled with with DDU and this time extracted 19.7.2 and manually installed the Display Adapter driver using the file path that the driver was extracted to, essentially installing the driver without Radeon Settings/Wattman beside it. Again, everything was great for a little while, but then crashes began again.

Do these seem like driver issues that will be fixed by newer drivers, or did I really get a dud of a card? It's a real shame, because when this card is running well it absolutely flies.

TLDR; I have done every troubleshooting method i've read or heard about and have been scouring the internet for days, trying everything I could, to no avail. Do these sound like driver issues, or is it possible the card is bad?

9 Replies
thebmwman
Adept I

same for me

0 Likes
shrek86
Journeyman III

i'm having the same issue. have had the card since launch and no matter what it still crashes and overheats.  i've been working with amd support trying to get something done about it. i finally just installed my old 970 told them i want to rma it and they are wanting me to do more stuff but I'm convinced i have a bad card

0 Likes
kkohena
Adept I

Similar problems but my performance was not good in most games. 40fps in destiny and dauntless. This was my response. No admission of driver issues whatsoever. Im not sure what theyll suggest next.

"Regarding your perfomance expectations of the AMD Radeon RX 5700XT against the nVidia GTX 1080: The AMD Radeon RX 5700XT is considered to have a performance below that of the nVidia GTX 1080.  AMD does not market the Radeon RX 5700XT to compete with the nVidia GTX 1080. Hence this is expected."

0 Likes
pcb_peasant
Journeyman III

Same for me and AMD will refuse to let me post my concern on this for some reason? Maybe my discussion wasn't good enough, but the cards I've got are both giving me the same issues as one another in different builds. It's definitely not your whole build but the cards drivers and incompatibility within certain builds it seems. OR it could possibly be a bigger problem...

0 Likes
chucktownrc51
Adept II

I'm having the exact same issues. Some games won't even load, it just black screens when I try to start them. 

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

My advice is install 19.7.1 and don't use Enhanced Sync for the time being.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Also... Customize the fan curve to be a bit faster than their appeasement curve.

0 Likes
chucktownrc51
Adept II

I think I solved mine, look here: https://community.amd.com/thread/241663 

0 Likes
shrek86
Journeyman III

i've had it just crash idling and opening up firefox.it's been 3 weeks and i am unable to game at all with this card. i've uninstalled it twice and installed my old 970 so i can play some destiny but they keep wanting me to install it and do this and that.   it's starting to get very old

0 Likes