cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

bampi
Adept II

Re: 5700XT - 2 problems, Black Screen crash/shutdown during gaming or random black screen flickering

After testing for two weeks, I think the issue is still the drivers. Some games are okay and some are not. Nothing you can do about that. AMD has terrible drivers. If you want zero hassle best thing to do is return your card and change to Nvidia 2060 Super or 2070 Super.

One thing that worked for me after reading many forums is undervolting. It made my card more stable and lower temperatures and lower power consumption (watts). Out of the box my 5700XT is 1200 mV and 2084 MHz which is kind of high. This caused artifacts and crashes on some games.

I used Radeon Software -> Tuning and lowered the voltage between 1000-1100 mV. Also lowered Core clocks between 1950-2000 MHz. I also adjusted my fan profile to max 50% so it's quieter.

I also use Radeon Chill to lessen the spikes on my clocks. Setting is the freesync range of my monitor.

My rig:

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC

Intel i5 8400

16 GB RAM Kingston Hyper-X

750 W Seasonic GM Gold PSU

Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041

Adrenalin 20.4.2 Stable

fumon
Journeyman III

Re: 5700XT - 2 problems, Black Screen crash/shutdown during gaming or random black screen flickering

Which font did you use, and which one are you using now?

0 Likes
tghoff8
Journeyman III

I was on an EVGA 650 bronze, and I switched to a Corsair 650 bronze.

0 Likes
cobray
Journeyman III

Just a idea but try Uninstall all security software e.g. firewall antivirus then remove all types of afterburner software or overlays then give it a try.

0 Likes
dixon
Adept I

I had the same issue but instead of black it was screen flickers.. i finally resolved the problem, it was the latest 2 driver 20.4 and 20.5... i went back to 20.2 and it all works perfectly fine.
realised it was the driver when it crashes my PC on default mode but overclocking GPU makes everything work again.. so must be some technical glitch within the default setting code. give it a go

0 Likes
bampi
Adept II

cobray wrote:

Just a idea but try Uninstall all security software e.g. firewall antivirus then remove all types of afterburner software or overlays then give it a try.

Thanks. I already tried everything, no success.

Undervolting lowered my clock and power spikes, so it's better in performance. But some games will still crash. It's a hit or miss with 5700XT drivers.

0 Likes
fumon
Journeyman III

I'll try this buddy, how long has it been since you changed your driver and you don't have a problem?

0 Likes
dixon
Adept I

With the update to 20.4 and 20.5.. it was 100% certain every time i boot up the game (on AMD Default Performance Settings), it will flicker and crash the PC. After reverting, i have got no crashes yet. Note that this only happened two days back after spending nearly a week trying to understand why it is crashing. i had a ticket to get it RMA and only found out i had another version of AMD driver so gave it the last attempt. VIOLA

bampi
Adept II

I thought I have tried everything. Will try lower versions. Many people from Reddit recommend 19.12.1. Next is 20.2.2.

0 Likes
dhoneshreyas
Adept I

I have recently made a completely new system and have been facing a similar issue of black screen and flicker. I have used stock settings for GPU as well as used manual settings (underclocking to reduce heat). In both the settings my screen goes Black or flickers in small horizontal patches (0-2 secs duration) after every 15min to 1hr (don't have approx time) and its more during gaming. Everything works (keyboard, audio, mouse) as usual during a blackout or flicker and after few seconds the screen comes back again. PC never went to shutdown.

Already tried doing the following stuff but nothing worked out:

1) Re-installing AMD driver software (20.5.1) with completely wiping old software (using same software itself)

2) Re-installing using safe mode and wiping drivers using DDU and installing new one again

3) Switching off AMD Freesync and running the display on 60Hz stock

4) Using all default settings in tuning control (default, undervolt/overclock GPU and overclock VRAM) and also used a manual setting (Just moving the fan curve to 80% max)

5) Adjusting the PICE slot from Auto to PCIE 3.0 in the Bios.

6) Reconnecting DP cable

Can someone help me here?