Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

5700 XT Stuttering

I'm really hoping to get an answer from someone at AMD on this. The 5700 XT is essentially the best GPU you have available right now, but I've seen TONS of people reporting issues with stuttering. I am having pretty severe stuttering with a brand new XFX Thicc III Ultra (RX 5700 XT) at default settings. Is this being worked on or should I just buy a different card. It's pretty unbearable at this point.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: 5700 XT Stuttering

Same here. Never had any stuttering until the recent update (20.5.1). RDR2 could run well over 100 fps on almost all ultra settings but now it stutters every few seconds and it's pretty horrible. Not sure what the issue is.. will try more troubleshooting in the future. Even League of Legends lags sometimes/audio cuts out (not sure if audio is a windows issue or not, but I think it is)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Same issue.

Stuttering on my XFX ThicII 5700XT on COD:MW and others

Windows 10 x64 1909 (reverted from 2004)

AMD Driver 20.4.2 - This driver so far giving me less crashes but a lot of stutters.

- Undervolted the card

- Turned off a lot of features in Adrenalin.

- Game mode in Win10 turned off.

- I noticed the AMD Driver crashes occasionally while playing COD:MW as well

Not sure what else to do and try

Maybe try every driver since the card's release?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

There are bios updates for most of the thic II cards on XFX's webite if you haven't installed it already.

AMD Radeon™ RX 5000 Series 

Not having any issues on my XFX thic II ultra with 20.5.1 drivers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

What resolution and refresh rate are you guys running at?

And are you having any issues with temperatures?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I'm using the Thicc III Ultra, 1080p, 144hz dual monitor. Never been an issue until this last update. Single monitor produces same issue. Changing refresh rate doesn't help either. Temperatures never go above 70/75c when playing RDR2 on High-Ultra.

However I have noticed that the GPU usage % dips down to 0 and back up at the time of the frame stutter/freeze.. No idea why this might be, but that is definitely the cause of the stuttering. Any ideas why usage might be spiking to 0 like that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I believe I fixed the problem.. Ran a windows update (should have checked that first), ran CCleaner and fixed registry errors as well, went into BIOS and enabled XMP profile for 2666 Mhz RAM (HyperX Fury 16GB 2666), and also changed the "Cool n' Quiet" mode to Auto. So far so good. I am thinking it might have been a RAM bottleneck but not sure.. I also saw a setting for "Above 4G memory/ crypto currency mining" but I left that as disabled.. 

Note: That dip in the GPU chart is most likely from Alt-Tabbing out of RDR2.

Side note: Any idea why my R5 2700X maxes out at 3.9 GHz? I thought it had a boost up to 4.2, but that might be wrong.. didn't think I'd have to manually overclock it to reach it's "boost speed.." Might make a separate post for that.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Glad you got your stuttering fixed.

CPU boost is probably a factor of temperature.

My 3600X boosts to 4.3GHz if I keep the temp at 50C but drops to 4.125GHz at 65C

Setting you CPU fan to run max all the time to slow down temp rise should let you test if your CPU behaves the same.

If it is you can decide between better cooling or manual overclock.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I have no stuttering, try this

- In Driver -> V-Sync always on

- In Game -> V-Sync on

- Use Framelimiter and lock the frames under the max refreshrate of your Monitor ( 144 HZ Montior -> FPS lock at 142...)                                                                                           

0 Kudos