cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kristian2
Adept I

5700 XT keeps randomly freezing under heavy load

There's never a crash, all motion just freezes on the screen. This issue did not occur while I was using a vega 56 and other components were the same as they are now, so I'm pretty sure it's because the video card is acting up. While running assassin's creed: odyssey with ultra settings, the freezing tends to occur within only a couple of minutes of gameplay, but it's less frequent while running metro: exodus. Yesterday I played about half an hour of it without any freezing while using high settings, but today it froze after about 20 minutes of running it on ultra settings. This issue does not seem to occur at all while running games that do not demand that much performance, such as dragon age: origins. My radeon software version is 19.7.5 and my operating system is windows 7.

Edit: After a few more hours of gameplay in metro: exodus, there has not been any other instances of freezing with that game, though there has been occasional very brief flickering and one instance of severe artifacting that did not occur again after rebooting the PC.

Edit 2: There was another freeze while running metro: exodus, so the freezing in that game seems to be several hours apart, while in assassin's creed: odyssey it still takes only a couple of minutes on average. Still no issues with games that have low performance requirements

Edit 3: After quite a long wait, this issue appears to have been probably fixed by driver version 19.10.1. I've been running AC: odyssey for about an hour at this point and still no freezing nor flickering *knocks on wood*

5 Replies

There are new 19.8.1 drivers out today. You might try those and see if they help.

There have been a lot of complaints about the reference cards with the blower coolers running near max temp if not overheating. You might go into Wattman and try a more agreessive fan curve. One that moves the fan to 100% faster.

That might help.

If not I would highly suggest you talk to AMD support: Online Service Request | AMD 

Also talk to the support department of who made your card.  Asus, Sapphire, etc...

0 Likes

I don't think it's the temperature. I've set the fans to run at 100% by the time the temperature gets to 85 celcius and I'm using HWinfo to alert me whenever the video card gets too hot, and so far the temperatures have stayed within acceptable levels. I'll try the new driver and see if it makes a difference.

Edit: it did not.

how is your airflow? is it positive? i set fan curve max 45% at 60 degrees and the card never reach 65 degrees, never freeze, never crash whatsoever. Or there's something wrong with your card. You should RMA it

I've taken off one of the side panels, so I'd say the airflow is pretty good. I know that makes more dust get in there, but that just means I have to clean it more often. I might send it back, but if I do that I'll be without a properly functioning video card (there's a different issue with the vega 56) while I wait for the verdict and the replacement video card that isn't guaranteed to come. At the very least I'm going to wait and see what AMD support has to say and I might wait for some driver updates before I resort to an RMA.

kristian2
Adept I

After quite a long wait, this issue appears to have been probably fixed by driver version 19.10.1. I've been running AC: odyssey for about an hour at this point and still no freezing nor flickering *knocks on wood*