5700 xt driver crashes

I recently built a system with the following components:

MSI Gaming Plus x570 motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor

Gigabyte 5700 XT Gaming OC graphics

Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD

750 watt power supply

16GB memory

I’m currently running 19.9.1 graphics driver. I had difficulty initially installing the driver, but it works. Games and videos run fine, although every time the computer turns on or restarts, it pops up a message about Wattman settings getting changed to default. 

I tried to update to the 19.9.2 driver, but this has proved impossible. When I attempt to install the driver, the computer hard locks when the driver has the spinning circle symbol and says it’s checking hardware. A few seconds after that, the system resets. This has occurred whether I attempt to update from inside Adrenaline or through the full driver on the website. It occurs whether I have used display driver uninstaller or not. And when I used display driver uninstaller , even the previous driver would not install, requiring the use of system restore to make my graphics card functional again. 

Is there a way to make driver updates work on my system without crashing?

1 Reply
djemberob
Journeyman III

Seems like more recent drivers were able to work better. 19.10.1 installed easily (although it disabled DirectX 9 games from working) and 19.10.2 was a rough install, but did eventually work and now all games work as advertised.

0 Likes