Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cuzimbrownie
Adept II

5700 XT Buzzing noise when browsing and scrolling

Hello,

I got my new Rx 5700 xt and i noticed that when I just drag an open window around the screen, the GPU gives of a weird buzzing or clickinig. Or if there is light usage like Youtube and Netflix where somthing moves on screen. When I play games I couldn't make out any weird noice. My GPU has a Zero-RPM-mode so I figured that it couldn't be coile whine. Bc i could hear it it even when the fans don't spin.

Any ideas?

Second in Overwatch my GPU would refuse to exceed a GPU usage above 60%. I turned Vsync off and capped the frames to 300 fps. I reached about 150-200 fps while the GPU sits at around 55% and my CPU around 30-40%. 

In Star Wars Battlefront 2 the GPU and CPU would easily reach over 90% usage.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600 @4 Ghz

16 Gb 3000 Mhz Ram

Rx 5700 xt

65 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the post. 

Are you still experiencing this issue on Adrenalin 20.2.2?

If so please could you let me know what web browser you are using and if toggle hardware acceleration on/off has any effect on the issue?

0 Likes

Hi,

I use google Chrome and when i turn off hardware acceleration the sound still remains. It's not only the browser but in Word for example i can hear the flashing thing where your written text appears. Just like a clock. I also turned off hardware acceleration in apps which run in the background (Spotify, Discord and Chrome).

In Overwatch i figured, that my CPU is to weak to run 1440p at 144Hz with my normal settings. So i lowered my settings an my frames became better. But recently my game started crashing after almost every match or right before I join the game.  

Weird thing, I only have issues with Overwatch. Every other game seems to run just fine. In the beginning i had black screen crashes but those have been resolved in the past.

If you have any further question I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible.

0 Likes

Other users have suggested trying 19.12.1, can you try that driver to check if there is any difference?

0 Likes

Hi Matt,

For me (Gigabyte OC 5700XT) the sound is definitely still present regardless of hardware acceleration settings. I also use Chrome and can hear is most when scrolling up and down webpages with a lot of images/animations. That said it's even quite noticeable scrolling quickly up and down this forum post, sounds like a quiet static/coil whine sound which I never experienced with the GTX 970 I had before. I've also been experiencing crashes, last night it took me about 30 minutes to get into a game of Star Wars Battlefront II because it either crashed when I launched the game or when joining an online match, in the end, I had to restart my computer and then I was able to join. I've also had this happen a lot in Apex Legends

0 Likes

We tested the issue on two different systems but we are not able to reproduce it, 

Navi10 XT Sapphire Pulse/Red Dragon + AMD Ryzen 5 3600.

Navi10 XT Red Dragon+ AMD Threadripper 2990WX.

Are you able to provide a video showing the issue so we can listen to the noise?

0 Likes

I can provide you the Video i sent to Gigabyte. The weird thing is, if i uninstall the drivers the sound disappears. As i reinstall them they come back as well.

Videos: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. 

Thanks i listened to your videos. That sounds like coil whine to me so i can see why Gigabyte suggested the same. 

With the drivers uninstalled there would be no 3D acceleration in Windows/load on the GPU, so i would expect coil whine to stop without the driver installed. 

0 Likes

I tried this workaround in the past where i installed the same driver twice. After that, the wierd noise was gone. How can this be?

I'm not sure, that's a new one by me. However it might be worth giving it a try.

0 Likes

I tried it yesterday but unfortunately it didn't work

0 Likes

Yes, I'm still experiencing this issue even with latest version of drivers

0 Likes
atmosphere
Challenger

What kind of PSU are you using... i have had an issue like that some time ago... it could be your PSU is having issues, or is loaded to the max on one or more rails. Do you use a splitter/adapter to go from 12v molex to pcie-power?

Does it do so when moving the mouse?

Does the noise come from the speakers/headphones... or actually from your case? 

0 Likes

Hey,

No i don't use a splitter. I use a 500W BeQuiet power supply and the sound is definitly coming form the gpu. I sent s video to Gigabyte and they told me it's coilwhine. The power supply must be plenty bc I had a GTX 970 before and it used OC'd as much power as my RX 5700 XT.

Ok, hmmm, PSU shouldnt be an issue, unless you are overcloclking both gpu and cpu.

Coils whine, but clicking? 

Have you installed any 3th party fan tools? You said you dont notice it when gaming, so have you tried ramping up the desktop-fan speed until it stops? Maybe power going to the fans even in 0rpm mode.

otherwise it has to be VRMs but clicking should be the fan’s..

have you tried turn of RGB on the card? 

Does the whine change.. does load on the card change volume or frequency?

0 Likes

In most cases it will be coil whine, however a few users have mentioned that the issue does not exist in 19.12.1 or 19.11.1, if that is the case then it may not be coil whine. 

0 Likes

Yep, issue looks like mine - Weird crackling noise coming from RX 5700 XT on 2020 drivers 
Really annoying. But I don't hear any noise on 19.x drivers..
I think it should be related to hardware accelerated driver changes. Maybe the power changes too quickly for these components or something else.  But this was definitely not the case on 19.12.1

0 Likes

Please make a video recording showing the difference between the two drivers and show the installed driver on screen via Radeon Software during the recording. 

0 Likes
abeastov
Adept I

I don't have the buzzing noise issue anymore. If this helps anyone, this was my experience, I have also commented on this thread before with the same problem:

I had the exact same problem as described above, whenever the mouse was moving, dragging something across the screen, basically when hardware acceleration occurred I had this dreadful noise. It was very difficult to explain this to the retailer as this particular issue never really occured with any gpu before. They first claimed that its just coil whine, and deal with it. However after sending a detailed video and explanation on why this is not the convetional coil whine, they were understanding enought to give me a replacement unit, (power color red dragon 5700 xt), but that still had this noise.

I have uninstalled the driver with DDU twice (even when there was techincally no amd driver) and then installed the latest driver twice. Once a regular install, and then another install from the same file, no restart inbetween.

This was a very weird fix to an even weirder issue but it worked, for real. I have done very extensive testing to check for traces of this noise, and apart from some coil whine at very high 400+ fps, it is completely silent. I hope that this helped both AMD and some users out there.

Thank you for reading the post. 

For someone who is interested, my specs are as follows: R5 2600, MSI B450i, Corsair 16GB DDR4 300Mhz, Powercolor Red Dragon 5700 XT, beQuiet! 600W Gold Semi-modular (I knew this was not the usual coil whine as this PSU is very high quality and has never, ever caused coil whine on previous GPU's)

Heard about that solution, tried it while ago and tried it two times today - didn't help in my case

0 Likes
magrei
Journeyman III

I had the same problem  but the noise was like a tick ( not constant, but still 2-3 clicks/sec ) accompaied by a fast-rate(15clicks/sec)-low-freq noise on a 2-3 sec interval

So beside of DDU and reinstall i just reset the bios settings and so the memory profile is set to basic( 2400mhz). Now I have no whine but I miss the performance.

Asrock x570pro4

3600x

asus rx5700xt

32gb hyperx predator 3333

psu seasonic 620.

Could IT BE THE MOBO?

I was just looking for a silent cooler for cpu when this happened. Bummer

0 Likes

Hmm have you applied an OC on the CPU? It could be the mobo but the memory

'OC' shouldnt cause this..

Do you know from what part the clicking and whining comes from?

Could be VRM .. are all fans spinning?

Op wo 15 apr. 2020 13:58 schreef magrei <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: 5700 XT Buzzing noise when browsing and scrolling in Graphics

0 Likes

Hi Atmosphere,

CPU is on auto. The clicking is coming from the GPU I belive. That's where i hear the noise coming from and its present only when I render with the GPU. In normal using there is no noise. All fans are spinning but it's not from the fans, i have checked.

I wrote to asrock and they say that I should contact the GPU manufacturer (Asus)

0 Likes
trefex
Journeyman III

0 Likes

Hello All, 

the Weird crackling noise is recorded while browsing, please let me know if this is the same noise you have also.

tested a bit and found out that the noise is fixed level,  and coming only from the subwoofer of 5.1 home theater through Onkyo AVR, the AVR is connected to Radeon  XT over HDMI interface/cable. 

If I use the line out from PC instead of using HDMI/DVI interface on GPU, I don't observe the noise. so the problem is obviously caused by GPU, Radeon RX 5700.

Gigabayt Radeon Radeon RX 5700 XT,  newly updated to latest driver, software version is 20.11.2,

AMD should add this in their issue list.

https://soundcloud.com/baris-cakmak-624673140/weird-crackling-noise-coming-from-amd-radeon-rx-5700-x...

0 Likes