Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kawa212
Journeyman III

5700 xt boost clock speed and fan settings issues

Hey all,

I have recently bought a new Gigabyte rx 5700 xt gaming oc. This is the first time i have an AMD card so i am trying to figure it out how this new adrenaline software working. So far i have faced a few problems and i would like to get some help understanding them.

1, The basic (auto) setup for the max mhz was set to 2030 mhz, with 1,2 mV which sounds totally absurd since the gaming clock speed is 1795 Mhz according to the officials, and the boost is 1905. With the auto settings and fan curve it reached 105 C in junction temperature, so i decided to "undervolt" it with set it to the maximum of 1905 Mhz. 
So I modified to a maximum of 1905 Mhz, and down to 0,995 mV the problem was it never reached the target 1905 in neither situation nor in game, nor under heaven benchmark nor in furmark, or 3d Mark the max it used was 1830 ish.
So i had to set it to 1956 and 1050 mV to actually make it reach the 1905 true Mhz. Is this normal or just a bug? be

Next up the fan settings.

2, So i modified the basic curve too since i am a bit of sensitive to noise levels. I wanted to make it to never pass 2000 rpm. 40% fan speed is 2060 rpm, while 39% fan speed is 1956 rpm. 38% fan speed is 1870. Now this doesn't seems quite right, like how is 1% fan speed is 100 rpm, when the max speed is 4400. The 40% should be 1750~ and 39 should be 1720 ~ like the jump should be 30 ish rpm / % not 100. ???

3, If i set the max fan speed to for example 40% all the way from 10 C to 100 C, which is roughly 2060 rpm, it often just ignores my settings and goes up to 2200 rpm, moreover sometimes it just thinks one and jumps to for example 3300 rpm for 1 second. What is this? Is this a bug or some misunderstanding between the software and the hot spots on the card so it thinks the temperature jumped above 100 Celsius and activates some kind of hidden safety measure or what the heck?

4, If i set the fan speed to max 4400 rpm, and i set it back to for example 10%, it takes roughly 2 minutes to the card slowly reducing the fan speed back to 10%, is this normal?

5, And a software question to the Re-Live function. It captures the monitor where the program is open on. Obviously i am using the monitoring part on the secondary monitor... and i do want to capture desktop too, which is why i think its recording the other screen. Is there a workaround, or is this a bug which will be fixed somehow? 

This question was asked in the driver section too,  sorry for double posting, i haven't received much answers there, so i tought i try it here too.

0 Likes
6 Replies
dettladd
Journeyman III

I'm having issues with my gigabyte model too. It also ignores underclocks/undervolting and fan settings. Also my junction temperatures are maxed out while in a game while other sensors report normal temperatures. 

Imgur: The magic of the Internet 

These are my results after 1 benchmark run. It stays roughly the same in any game i play. Edge and junction temp difference is too big imo. I think my card is just defective. 

0 Likes

Do you have the gaming oc too?
If it is the same we can test mine and yours too with the same fan settings lets say 40% straight line, Mhz and voltage, with the same program like Heaven Benchmark which is free with same settings. Then i can tell if your card is defective or not, but the gap between ur temp and junction temp seems really big. Mine is around 75-90 ish. 

Based on my understanding, there are multiple sensors on the card and junction is showing the highest value of the temperature of 1 sensor at a given time. However the average may not be calculated of all sensors value / the sensor count, rather it has only 1 main sensor for example near to the top or side of the card which can be tricky or false because its too far from the main heat points. But i can be total wrong here. 

0 Likes

It is the gaming oc yes. Im pretty sure it"s defective. That was a run of superposition @4k optimized. It's pretty much the same in games. Wattman ignores my fan curve as i set it to max at 50% but it went up to 65%. I managed to undervolt it to 1.030 and 1930mhz. It brought all the temps down, gpu edge to 65°c but junction still peaks at 110°C. Honestly i really can't be bothered to troubleshoot anymore. This on top of driver/software issues is just not worth it. If i'm paying 470eur for this i expect it to work. I'll just return the card. :/ 

0 Likes
drallim
Elite

1) That's all normal. You are setting the max boost clock, which will only ever be used for very brief spurts, less than sampling period of monitoring software. Typical clocks you will see in monitoring software will be a little bit below, as you have found.

2) Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but the fan speed % on my motherboard don't make sense either. You'll just have to experiment.

3) I don't understand what you're saying.

4) Don't know if that's normal, I've never tried.

5) I don't understand the question.

0 Likes

3, I created a straight line with the fan control to fix my fan speed to 40% no matter how low or high the temperature is. It would mean the fans are spinning on the same rpm if the card is on 40 C or 100 C it doesn't matter. Yet the fans tend to jump from this given fix fan speed for example from fix 2000 to fix 2800 for just one or two seconds.

5, The screen video capture part is recording the screen where the software is open on. I have two monitor, and i like it to open and set the adrenaline software to the secondary monitor, while i am playing on the main monitor. The problem is, if it is open on the secondary monitor, it records the video of the second monitor, not the actual main monitor where i am playing on.

I tried to detail as precisely i could.

0 Likes

3) I tried the same thing on my reference 5700. At 40% the fan went to 2200 RPM and stayed there. Maybe you need to ask gigabyte about this one.

5) I played around a bit with desktop recording enabled. I found that it doesn't matter where the radeon settings is. What matters is the last place you clicked the mouse. If I clicked on the first monitor and hit ALT-R, the overlay would open on the first monitor, if I hit ctrl-shift-r, it would record the first monitor. If I instead clicked on the second monitor it would record that and the overlay would open there.

0 Likes