Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

amarBa
Adept I

5700 XT Black screen issues

Hello everyone, 

Im new to the forum and I would like to disscus my experience and problems that followed with the specific card :

5700 XT Sapphire Pulse 8 gb 

I read all the old topics about 5700XT and issues with the black screen, tried a lot of things but nothing solved it.

Here you can see my PC specifications.

AMD Graphics Card
model; Sapphire Pulse 5700XT 8GBDesktop

Windows 11 64bit

Driver version installed
Latest Adrenalin 21.12.1 

Display Devices
Dell S3220DGF Curved Gaming Monitor 31.5" QHD 165H

Motherboard + Bios Revision
model; Asus Strix X570 F  gaming  latest BIOS

CPU/APU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X with stock Wraith Prism cooler

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
Be Quiet! 750W Straight Power 12 80 Plus Titanium

RAM
Amount of memory installed; 2x8GB @3600 Mhz cl18 G.Skill

It all started 10 months ago when I finnaly gathered some money to build my new PC. However , problem occured at first day. All PC parts were put correctly and wiring was done correct. Turned on PC , everything seemed fine. I entered ESO , tried it for 5 min and there I got the black screen on monitor and robotic sound followed with PC restart. I unpluged everything, tested the PC again and the same issue happened. Time has come to test my pc on other games such as WoW, Warzone, Forza 4 and few more triple AA games. PC had black screen issuee in every game I played , occuring ussualy after 1h of playing. Sometimes it would pass 3,4 days until it appears again. Black screen was occuring ussualy when game would finish loading and go to another scene . I will give you some examples

Warzone / Scene when you are about to jump from the plane

Battlefield V / When im about to use Infra Red sniper ( when you are using it ,its suposse to show a night vision effect on the screen )

Metro Exodous / When loading screen finishes and im about to enter the game 

What I understood from my examples is that when GPU needs to preform some full screen task or change of scenes it hard crashes, crashing my pc and not allowing it to boot to windows. The 90 % of black screen/robotic sound crashes are happening when I do alt/tab from the game to check something on chrome or you tube. If I want to recreate the crash I would force alt/tabing until the black screen occures.  Black screen can occure even while browsing , watching videos and most often when Display wakes up from idle. 

Things I tried to fix this..... 

I started with DDU and drivers for 5700xt. Tried all the drivers I could find that people were reffering as stable. Same problem was occuring. Things get better for few days after installing the drivers but problem comes back always. So I was always thinking it was driver related. I tried also ryzen chipset drivers , installed/reinstalled , updated bios of motherboard couple of times , reinstalled windows several times 7,10,11 , flashed the bios on the gpu with the files i got from the sapphire support, changing power options in windows, changing pci 4.0 to 3.0 and manny more bios options.... and the problem was always there. I ofcourse tried to RMA it but , sending it 3 times to the shop where I bought it they were saying it worked fine and there was no problems with it. But im pritty sure I was been lied to becouse of the gpu shortage and this whole situation with Covid........ Anyway , I spoke with amd and sapphire , they told me some simular info and gave me the guide to adjust a bit the tunning options in adrenaline softwere but that didnt fixed it .They told me to RMA it but my shop is saying that the GPU is fine .... oh my gosh I was losing my mind. Then i was thinking maybe it was getting hot ... while gaming it went around 60c and 90c junction. I decided to repaste it and replace thermal pads. I did it and temps really improved ! I was so happy going from 90c junction to hardly 77c....but ofcourse that didnt fixed it. CPU is idling around 45c and on 30 % load its around 70c with 1.3 -1.4 v ( using D.O.C.P profile 3600mhz )  I tried , chaning the CPU , RAM , several PSU units, motherboard , power outlets.... I even changed home went to another house lol to try it out. I tried my pc with anoher gpu an older AMD R9 290 , worked fine but it struggles.Most importantly with R9 I didnt had black screen issues which would sugesst that GPU is the problem but.... according to my retailer , gpu works fine. I tried to replace monitor , hdmi and dpi cable and tried different hz and problem perssisted. Event viewer would give me errors like kernal power, proccessor core error , hid headphones error ( which i fixed ) and rzyen master error ( for some reason sometimes it doesent start with windows )  I spent manny months trying to fix this issue but I never managed to. I will upload 3 videos of how that problem looks like. I always thought that the problem is power related , thats how it looks like to me but I changed all pc parts at least once and 3 different psus...

I saw , read and really tried every option that I could find on the internet and this forum to fix this.. Im sorry for the long text but I would really appriciate if someone with more knowladge than me , could guide me on what to do next . If anyone has any ideas what could be the problem I would be very grateful

0 Likes
7 Replies
RPX100
Miniboss

@amarBa hey there! I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues with your graphics card.
You already have done a lot of work in order to try and fix the issues. Can be quite frustrating to deal with.

I have been active in this AMD community forum since buying my own RX 5700 XT and encountered
black screens, green screens, screen flickering, overheating and problems with Radeons Software.

---

Please read this post and see if you have followed these instructions, when reinstalling after using DDU.
It is important to follow these steps to get the best results for fresh/clean driver installs.

A wrong display port / HDMI cable can also cause driver crashes.
Use HDMI 2.0b or display port 1.4 with your GPU.

Please note that the driver is trying to overclock your GPU by default.
Make sure to use the max boost clocks from manufacturer specs with 1100 mV (or less).

If you have more than 1 PCIe slot, try the one below.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]

Thank you very much for response.

The part that you mentioned with the cables made me wondering. The screen I bought has 1.4 dp ports and hdmi 2.0 port. I opened yesterday the manual and saw that acctualy this dell 3220dgf  comes with dp 1.2 cable and hdmi 2.0 ( not specified is it a or b ) .... So yesterday when I realized this I put my gpu on hdmi. HDR look different but opening the free sync , black flickering appeared and soon after that black screen crash. It seems that I have 2.0 hdmi and dp 1.2 that both cause issues to the gpu and monitor. I used ps4 hdmi also in the past which also had issues. hdmi 2.0 doesent support free sync I suposse and the dp 1.2 doesent support hdr 

Anyway today i I will buy DP 1.4 and try it out home ! Lets see if it works

Just to let everybody know. This didnt fix the issue. I sent it to service and they are trying to find the problem .... 

0 Likes

Hello,

since november 2021 i have this issue, i can't update my driver over the 21.11.3, when i do an update i have a black screen on my 3 monitors.

I have already see this issue at the beginning when i have bought this card, and it's clearly a driver problem solved by AMD but it's reappear at the end of 2021.

I think it's the last time i buy an AMD card too much problem driver and no response to amd support

0 Likes
amarBa
Adept I

I would like to update everyone on the topic. I bought new card and I dont have black screens or any other problems. New card is 6750XT . 
5700xt was faulty, but no service found the problem....

0 Likes

you can try to reinstall windows and run everything at stock, that includes running the memory without xmp. run memtest overnight in case there's a problem with the memory. if you still get black screens after that, return or rma the card, the problem is probably with it.

0 Likes
cfinn1
Journeyman III

I had to turn off HDR to get mine to stop black screening in games, 32 inch lg 240hz, thought that DP port was fudged on monitor at first, lg didnt know what was going on either. amd patches and ddu to no avail ( all with hdr on), today, tried with hdr off( last thing i tried before buying a new monitor cause my old monitor never had issues at 144hz and no hdr option). turns out that was it

0 Likes