Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hassansenpai
Adept I

5700 XT Black screen issue

Hello everyone,

I wanted to write on this forum and discuss my frustrations with this card. I got this card about two months ago (August 2020) and the amount of time it crashed on me and the anxiety i got from it is insane. I tried so many solutions on so many forums, downgraded the Adrenaline application version to the most "stable" version, undervolted my GPU, increasing the fan speeds and added a new fan to the case but it never got past 50C. I tried everything for this it because i want it to work, when it functions as it should it runs smoothly and i got very high fps with it. However, every single day since i bought this card, every single day, it crashed at least once. There hasn't been a day that went by without my PC crashing. Its crazy to think this issue is still ongoing since July 2019. This is my last resort to find a solution because i already sent it back for a refund/warranty but they told me it functions correctly, but the thing is it works fine when browsing the internet and stuff like that but it always, and I MEAN ALWAYS crashes when i start playing a game. I tried LOL, R6, Raft, Phasmophobia, Fall guys, COD MW. It always crashes mid game at least once before i have to restart and reconnect to whatever game i am playing. I don't want to complain more about this card, these are the specs of my pc:

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • model; Asus TUF 3-RX5700XT O8G Gaming Graphics Card
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 20.9.2
  • Display Devices
    • LG TV (not sure about the model) 1920x1080 @60hz using HDMI
    • AOC 24G1WG4 1920x1080 @144hz using DP 
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • model; MSI b450 Tomahawk (latest bios)
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Corsair CX650M 650W ATX Power Supply,80 PLUS Bronze
  • RAM
    • Amount of memory installed; 32GB @3200MHz 

Honestly, I am not sure what else i can do to fix this issue but i am hoping for the best, please let me know if there are any solutions that worked with you. I also wanted to mention that i built my pc a year ago so its not old and its not an issue with my pc, because before i got this card i was using a ZOTAC GTX 1060 6gb and everything was working fine but when i upgraded to the RX5700 XT everything went downhill, i upgraded my RAM, Power supply and bought new fans incase it needed more power and air circulation but none of them were the cause of these crashes, please help. 

Thanks for reading.

Have a good day.

1 Solution

Hey bro,

I tried what accn‌ recommended which was updating the vbios, its been two days not a single problem! try that for now and see how it works for you!

View solution in original post

25 Replies
accn
Elite

Try to update your vbios, I heard it helped many ASUS TUF owners

hassan313
Journeyman III

me too i have same problem when i use browsing its working well but when i play game it crash

it my last time i buy amd graphic

you can reduce the clock gpu -25 percent in adrenilin software then it will work without problem but you lose what you payed for graphic card

my rig is amd ryzen 2600

rx 5700 xt chalanger

600 w evga power supply

16 gb 3200 corsairNew Bitmap Image.bmp

0 Likes

I tried doing that but nothing changed at all, these are the stats that i used/adjusted. I also increased the power tuning limit option to the max. still was crashing. it only happens when gaming as well just like you. i was told to not ult tab from full screen games and to not use dual monitors while gaming but i found that ridiculous if that was the case. A graphic card shouldn't limit you from using two monitors or ult tabbing from a game. Updating vbios  is working for me atm.

pic1.PNG

0 Likes

how did you update your vbios?

0 Likes
ethanhooker
Adept I

I have this exact same issue, I keep waiting for a driver update as they are meant to fix this.. but never does!

0 Likes

Hey bro,

I tried what accn‌ recommended which was updating the vbios, its been two days not a single problem! try that for now and see how it works for you!

I'm glad if this solution helped you. I have exactly the same problems, but I have a reference card, and AMD did not release vbios updates for it, and I still suffer from crashes

Hope it works out for you bro. thanks again. 

Hey guys, How to update VBIOS? I have the same issue since I bought my GPU 5 months ago,, And one more question, is it still stable with no crashes after the VBIOS update ? 

0 Likes

Check if there was a vbios update for your gpu, maybe you have nothing to update

0 Likes

where to check  ?

0 Likes

On the manufacturer's website in the support section

0 Likes

Where did you update the Vbios? I have a ASUS TUF 5700XT

0 Likes

Should be in asus website, I have xfx too bad they dont upload any.

0 Likes
gatovader
Journeyman III

Are you using 1 power cable from your psu or 2 cables? because just found a really good tip, this card consumes a lot of power so it needs 2 cables even you have 1 with 2 connectos, try it.

@hassansenpai wrote:

Hello everyone,

I wanted to write on this forum and discuss my frustrations with this card. I got this card about two months ago (August 2020) and the amount of time it crashed on me and the anxiety i got from it is insane. I tried so many solutions on so many forums, downgraded the Adrenaline application version to the most "stable" version, undervolted my GPU, increasing the fan speeds and added a new fan to the case but it never got past 50C. I tried everything for this it because i want it to work, when it functions as it should it runs smoothly and i got very high fps with it. However, every single day since i bought this card, every single day, it crashed at least once. There hasn't been a day that went by without my PC crashing. Its crazy to think this issue is still ongoing since July 2019. This is my last resort to find a solution because i already sent it back for a refund/warranty but they told me it functions correctly, but the thing is it works fine when browsing the internet and stuff like that but it always, and I MEAN ALWAYS crashes when i start playing a game. I tried LOL, R6, Raft, Phasmophobia, Fall guys, COD MW. It always crashes mid game at least once before i have to restart and reconnect to whatever game i am playing. I don't want to complain more about this card, these are the specs of my pc:

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • model; Asus TUF 3-RX5700XT O8G Gaming Graphics Card
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Crimson Edition 20.9.2
  • Display Devices
    • LG TV (not sure about the model) 1920x1080 @60hz using HDMI
    • AOC 24G1WG4 1920x1080 @144hz using DP 
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • model; MSI b450 Tomahawk (latest bios)
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Corsair CX650M 650W ATX Power Supply,80 PLUS Bronze
  • RAM
    • Amount of memory installed; 32GB @3200MHz 

Honestly, I am not sure what else i can do to fix this issue but i am hoping for the best, please let me know if there are any solutions that worked with you. I also wanted to mention that i built my pc a year ago so its not old and its not an issue with my pc, because before i got this card i was using a ZOTAC GTX 1060 6gb and everything was working fine but when i upgraded to the RX5700 XT everything went downhill, i upgraded my RAM, Power supply and bought new fans incase it needed more power and air circulation but none of them were the cause of these crashes, please help. 

Thanks for reading.

Have a good day.

0 Likes
Matrixx
Adept II

Dear, can I ask you how you have configured the memories? At what speed do you have them configured? Do you have the XMP profile enabled? I have opened a post today called RX5700XT + Drivers, read it and tell me. a greeting

0 Likes
shoesfx
Adept II

i'm too scared to mess with vbios, i had zero black screens the whole 2020 summer but around december they appear again. I got a weird pattern on mine, once per day i get a black screen crash but if i open my pc and do a restart then i won't have any black screen at all (for the whole day). But if i leave my pc turned off for more than 2hours the nex time i turned it On a random black screen crash will occur while browsing, gaming etc

0 Likes
dest109
Journeyman III

i just had this issue. tried everything that everyone said but still kept getting black screens. i also replaced my cpu , motherboard ram, video card to a 6700 xt. kept getting random black screens. the problem seems to be driver related.  i found a "fix" and i just felt like sharing because it may save someone else. i plug an HDMI cable and a display cable into my display. then i plug the HDMI cable into my video card. keep the display cable unplugged. then whenever a black screen happens, unplug the HDMI cable and plug in the display cable. when i plug in the other cable the black screen goes back to my normal screen. then if it happens again just swap back to the HDMI cable. this works for me and may work for others. i know its not a real fix but if it works it works?

0 Likes

This topic is rather old, but since it has already been pushed, I might as well post additional info:

RX 5000 series crash types and reasons

I can confirm that the drivers are still causing a lot of issues for RX 5700 XT.
I have been testing every driver since 20.8.3 and often the newer drivers will not work without issues.

Rare green screen crashes still happen in CPU bound or older games, because of memory clock fluctuations.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

This is happening to me as well. Losing my mind.

0 Likes

Do you happen to be using MSI Afterburner? I kept having black screen issues and as soon as I unchecked "Enable user defined software automatic fan control", my problems went away.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, I am not using MSI afterburner.

0 Likes
Tbone707
Adept I

So I have a HP x34 monitor which has the capability of running at 165hz refresh rate. If I select it to run at anything over 100hz then the screen blinks black every 1-2 minutes randomly.

GPU: RT 5700 XT; Driver: 21.50.21.11

CPU: Intel i7-9700

RAM 16GB

MB: Dell G5 5090

Operating: Windows 11

Monitor: HP X34

0 Likes
DrBojanglez
Journeyman III

I tried all of this, but changing my motherboard BIOS to force PCI Gen 3, instead of auto was the final fix.

0 Likes