cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

blazerunner
Adept I

5700 XT and Seasonic X Series Power Supply - Crashes, Freezes and Reboots

I've got a Seasonic X-650 from 2015 paired with what seems to be a high transient GPU; Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+. Apparently these GPUs cause black screens, reboots and freezes with certain Seasonic PSUs, which is what I'm dealing with. Does anyone have any input on this matter, and 
can someone recommend a comparable 650W power supply, preferably with a fanless switch? I've looked at some options and so far I've drilled it down to a Corsair RM 650x or an EVGA Supernova G2 or G3 (both at 650w). However, I've seen people NOT recommend the G3 in this thread. If the Corsair RM 650x is a solid choice I can live with it being completely fanless at low power usage.

That said, I have a few questions:

1. Is there any Seasonic PSU that has addressed this issue?
  2. From the PSU Tier List, it looks like none of the Seasonics are a good fit at 650w. Is this correct?
  3. Would the Corsair RM 650x solve the issue?
0 Likes
4 Replies

I just replaced my wife's IBuypower PC 400 Watt PSU (about 6 y/o) which overheated and failed because the fan went bad and stopped working.

I replaced it with a Corsair RM750W PSU (Gold Rated) which fits fine in my wife's computer case and had plenty of cables to connect all devices in her computer case.

My wife has a R7 250 GPU card so it doesn't use a lot of power. But I upgraded to 750 watt to future proof the PC in case the I need to replace the GPU card in the future or CPU.

In your case I would try to upgrade to at least a 750 Watt PSU to prevent any type of power issues in the future.

At Best Buy is cost $125.00 with Zero RPM Fan feature. This helps to prevent the fan from running all time thus extending it life time use.

I am a little Bias toward Corsair PSU since I purchased a Corsair AX850 Watt PSU over 8 years ago and it still giving out power outputs as though it is brand new PSU.  My computer case is stacked with internal HDDs, Optical Drivers, and other peripherals besides a high powered GPU card.

I can't seem to find anything related to Seasonic PSU having specific issues with the RX5700 GPU card.

If interested, this tech site shows all the compatible PSUs that work with the RX5700 GPU cards: https://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/AMD/RX_5000_Series/Radeon_RX_5700_XT_8GB/4549/Compatible_PSUs

Note: RX5700XT blackouts, crashes, etc is most likely a driver issue or the GPU card itself needs to be configured to be more stable.

@elstaci Thank you for the tips! It's almost certainly either a Power Supply or Motherboard issue. I've ran the computer with my old Asus GTX 970 Strix, and the system shut down again. Regardless, my Seasonic power supply is one of those affected by the incompatibility with high transient GPUs, I've reached out to them and they've offered to RMA it, I've still got it under warranty so I'm very happy to be sending it in for repair/replacement. That said, I'll need to buy a temporary PSU in the meantime to use while my current Seasonic PSU is out. I'll be looking into getting a used Corsair RM 650x for the time being; I prefer Seasonic, hopefully they return a working one. Will update this thread when it arrives.

Seasonic is one of the best manufacturers of PSU in the industry. In fact they make PSU for other major PSU manufacturers.

If your Seasonic is over 5 years old, hopefully if Seasonic does replace it they will upgrade the PSU to one that is compatible with your GPU Card.

I would just wait until you get the replacement or repaired PSU back unless you like the used PSU you temporarily installed and keep the Seasonic as a backup.

It is a lot of work replacing the PSU in a cramped computer case. Plus you have a chance of damaging a hardware or something or not connecting a device.

The less you mess around inside your computer case the less chance you will end up accidentally damaging something inside the computer case.

@elstaci Didn't help. I swapped the Seasonic for a Corsair RM 650x. No change. Bought a new motherboard; MSI Z97S Krait, still didn't help. I can't believe how unreliable AMD cards are. This is pure junk. I've had a GTX 660, 960, 970, 980 and 1080 all in my PC build; none of which had issues (at all). The first AMD card I try has me wasting a lot of time trying to figure out how it works. If I didn't need an AMD card for Mac OS, this would be the last time I'd buy one. Hopefully it is.

0 Likes