cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Slack83er
Adept I

5700 grainy rendering

Hi all. I've wandered thru this community only to find so many of us "AMDers" have this damned issue. Many games look grainy, like they are taken from an old TV or VCR. I will post an image of my issue, maybe someone can find a solution or knows what to tweak. Before you ask... it's definitely NOT how the game is intended to look like, there's no "old style filter" or similar. And it's not the only game that does it, many others who looked perfectly fine on NVidia, now have this "funny feature"... It's a pity, because the card can smoothly run 2k games at max details... but once again it makes me regret the change.render.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution

It looks like the temperatures are fine, so it is pointing to the specific games. Can you reinstall the games, or if it's on steam verify the game files. Seems if Furmark will finish and there is no artifacts, the card itself is fine, as that is a very stressful benchmark. Your results so far point to settings or corruption in the games.

Other people reported something like this in Greedfall, not sure if they fixed it, seems you can disable film grain in the configuration files:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/606880/discussions/1/1634166237667625540/

https://forums.focus-entmt.com/topic/41904/disabling-dof-motion-blur-film-grain-and-camera-bobbing-s...

Is it the classic Neverwinter Nights 2002, or the newer one? Here is someone talking about the 2002 version having the problem and a fix:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/188666-neverwinter-nights/63665809

Off Topic, I played the 2002 version, very fun game!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
19 Replies
NeoUSMC
Journeyman III

I run the 5700xt,  I only run across this issue in 1440 resolution,  FSR gives a similar effect.   One thing ive always adjusted were AA and sharpness,  you can really get a look and feel by making adjustments.   also screen percentage/scale/resolution scale  can fix some of the grainy ness.

I own a 2k screen, so I obviously play in that resolution. I should not be forced to tweak settings in order to obtain a smooth texture, should I? But I used to have a 4k screen, and the problem was there just the same.. My sharpness is off, scale/res/etc are untouched. What else?

0 Likes

Maybe i missed it.. but is the card on a fresh install? Check gamma settings if not and on some displays (or cables) the driver doesnt use full rgb.

Are you using HDR? I've had an issue like this, Windows turned on HDR but it wasnt in Adrenaline.

Could you teĺl is which version of adrenaline you are using? And if possible, remove the drivers completely, and do a fresh install. Do not manually enable boost or chill or features like that. 

Check monitor settings just to be sure, if you had your monitor settings set for your previous card that can give strange effects.

No, the card has always been doing this. I'm on a DP 1.4, gamma ok, no HDR, no Freesync, nothing enabled. I've changed my monitor months ago, but the issue dates back to the old monitor I had. Adrenaline is V. 21.12.1, latest. No chill/boost/other whatsoever enabled.

It was mentioned earlier, but make sure you use AMD Cleanup Utility or DDU in safe mode. Then reboot and install the latest drivers. It can cause problems like you describe.

Some other things to try:

Maybe you are enabling Radeon Image Sharpening? This post says to turn it off. I never use it, maybe cause:

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/all-games-look-grainy/td-p/447785

This person says to fix it, Max out Screen Space Reflection Quality or turn it off:

https://bestgamingtips.com/fix-grainy-shadows-games/

Only thing I can try is SSRQ. But I don't know where to find it...

0 Likes

Screen Space Reflection Quality is a per game setting, in the options if it has it. It's possible the games you are seeing it in may be a problem with the way the game interacts with AMD drivers. Try searching for others that have played the game with an AMD card and see if they have problems also. Then contact the developers of the game and AMD.  Also as NeoUSMC stated "also screen percentage/scale/resolution scale can fix some of the grainy ness", in which you should turn it off or set it to 100%, it's possible the scaling which uses a lower resolution will look worse, as it uses less pixels but at a cost of lower quality. I hope you find a solution.

0 Likes
NeoUSMC
Journeyman III

Does this occur with all games or just specific ones?  TSR and TAA  (Temporal Super Resolution) and (Temporal Anti Aliasing)  can cause grainy images.  Also check in your Andrenaline settings and turn off everything under global.   Experiment with each setting, at this point its going to be trial and error.  Games optimized for AMD will use some basic framework for AMD Features.  This can lead to a few things being over optimized by the AMD Software.    Do the same with the in game settings.   I would start with turning everything on Low then preset to med, high, etc.

0 Likes

Some games seem not to suffer from this "bug", but most of 'em do. I have NOTHING turned on in Adrenaline, I leave everything as smooth as possible. What you suggest (tweaking things IN game) has already been tried, alas, to no avail. 

0 Likes

I've used AMD CPU's and GPU's in all my builds since 2006 unless a client requested Intel and Invidia.

Personally I have found that AMD GPU's especially the latest generations series do tend to be a bit quirky when it comes to fine tuning the visuals to your own personal preferences.  

They do require a lot of trial and error and patience.

The thing that keeps me with AMD is cost to performance ratio and the fact that if I ever encountered even a severe software crash that resulted in data corruption recovery has always been quick and easy. 

I  have found that keeping my AMD settings mostly on default with HDR FSR and Super Resolution turned off solves a lot of quirky visual issues.

The only part I really fine tune is the GPU VRAM   and Fan Speeds. I set the visual detail levels in the game and set Adrenalin to use application settings. I don't know why but this seems to take a huge workload off the GPU. 

I also think that AMD GPU's are more about speed where Invidia focuses more on visual appearance. 

What are the specifications of your system including PSU manufacturer and watts? What games are you seeing this in? It's possible it's a bug, there are a lot of games, some may have a problem or two in which you will want to contact the developers and AMD. Also like was mentioned by NeoUSMC, start with essentially everything default/low, then change things one at a time until you see the problem. I hope you get it fixed.

0 Likes

I'll state this again, in case you missed it: The problem presents itself with every possible setting. I've tried everything from lowest to highest quality, there's no change in this phenomenon. All of optional quirks and settings are turned off from adrenalin. 

0 Likes

In your original post you said:

"And it's not the only game that does it"

I see, you were saying on Nvidia you don't have a problem.

Thursday Jan 13 2022 you said:

"Some games seem not to suffer from this "bug", but most of 'em do."

Just to make sure, So it's all games? Ok, earlier I thought it was only some.

It follows if it's every game, then that points to software or hardware, not game specific. If the desktop in Windows is OK no stray pixels like something in the card or system literally is failing, you could reinstall or fix Windows with sfc/ scannow, try it in another PC at a friend's or computer shop, until you can isolate it. You will want to change variables, Windows, DDU then install older drivers, remove OCs, etc.  What temperatures are you seeing in your system and the card? Run a complete system benchmark like OCCT and see if it passes. I hope you find a solution.

If you set all settings in Adrenalin to default, and in every game it does it, or is it certain games that have problems? If it's certain games, post the name of the game and search online to see if there are known problems with the game and AMD.

Can you let us know what game you took the screenshot from?

Without additional information it makes helping very difficult, you will have to do basic troubleshooting as I mentioned above, and if that all passes, that points to a problem in the specific game.

What are the specifications of your system including PSU manufacturer and watts?

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/information-required-when-posting-a-discussion/ta-p/4227...

Here I am, forgive me if I made u confused. The screenshot is taken from Greedfall, starting screen, clouds in upper right corner. Another game which does it is Neverwinter, but you only see it during character creation. I have another pc at home, I could test the card there and see if it does any of this grainy thing... Temperatures... let's see... I will run a furry ring and let u know how it performs under stress. The card manufacturer is ASUS, it's a RoG. The PSU is a 700W Bronze.

0 Likes

Ok, I've run the test, everything is smooth. I'll leave you the result in the link.

https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=526637

As for the other tests...I'll need some time.

0 Likes

It looks like the temperatures are fine, so it is pointing to the specific games. Can you reinstall the games, or if it's on steam verify the game files. Seems if Furmark will finish and there is no artifacts, the card itself is fine, as that is a very stressful benchmark. Your results so far point to settings or corruption in the games.

Other people reported something like this in Greedfall, not sure if they fixed it, seems you can disable film grain in the configuration files:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/606880/discussions/1/1634166237667625540/

https://forums.focus-entmt.com/topic/41904/disabling-dof-motion-blur-film-grain-and-camera-bobbing-s...

Is it the classic Neverwinter Nights 2002, or the newer one? Here is someone talking about the 2002 version having the problem and a fix:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/188666-neverwinter-nights/63665809

Off Topic, I played the 2002 version, very fun game!

0 Likes

Mmm.... seems like you have a point. Pity that the thread is now almost 3 years old and noone did anything for it. Oh well... You have been very helpful and gentle, many thanks are in order. As for Neverwinter... no I'm talking about NW Online, the one from perfect world. (although I completed all the "older" ones.. hehe) The effect it does on that game is slightly different though, and being NWO an old game (10years now) I'm not entirely blaming the 5700, it may well be the fact that they always optimized for NVidia. Thanks again!

0 Likes

Glad to help, I think there may still be some problems with the new (well somewhat newer, 10 years old, like you say lol) Neverwinter Online, maybe you can find a fix for that too. Neverwinter Nights 2002 didn't like reflections with AMD and changing the texture settings in AMD control panel caused problems, you are spot on it's mostly optimized for Nvidia. I have so many games to play, it looks like a cool game but I am busy on others. Glad you got it sorted!

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I'm running an RX 6900 XT and there is a setting either under display or graphics for "Film Grain Mode".

Even a lot of games have this option in their graphics menu.

I always turn this mode off because it by default keeps motion blur on and both those settings give me some nasty head pains.

Unfortunately I am susceptible to having seizures and intense head pain is an imminent warning sign so I adjust my GPU and game settings accordingly.  

This film grain mode can create the visual appearance in your screenshot.