cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

blindpanic
Adept III

5700 GPU times out when monitors wake from sleep (VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR)

I've been having tons of problems with this GPU, most were solved with the latest drivers but this issue persists. I've been playing my favorite new game primarily, event viewer.

Primary Issue:

About 1/3 of the time that I awake my monitors from sleep with mouse/keyboard input the video output freezes.  Here is a summary of what I see in event viewer when this happens:

Error        9/25/2019 7:25:27 PM    volmgr            161    None
    Critical    9/25/2019 7:25:27 PM    Kernel-Power    41    (63)  (When I reset)
    Warning        9/25/2019 7:25:30 PM    e1rexpress        27    None ( Network turns off)
    Error        9/25/2019 7:25:34 PM    EventLog        6008    None
    Error        9/25/2019 7:25:34 PM    Eventlog        1101    Event processing
    Error        9/25/2019 7:25:37 PM    BugCheck  (0x00000116)      1001    None

I'm fairly certain this is a blue screen but I just can't see it because the driver fails to restart.  The bug check code has this description: "The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. "

Tertiary Issue:

My PC green screens and shuts down without blue screen under high GPU utilization from time to time.  I don't have much more on this as it happens rarely but I will update with event viewer details if it happens again.

Hardware:

R5 3600

ASUS Prime x570 Pro

RX 5700 reference card

Monitors

Monitor 1 (DP to DVI-D):

Horizontal Timing Total - 2200
Horizontal Timing Display - 1920
Horizontal Timing Front Porch - 88
Horizontal Timing Sync Width - 44
Vertical Timing Total - 1125
Vertical Timing Display - 1080
Vertical Timing Front Porch - 4
Vertical Timing Sync Width - 5
Horizontal Timing Polarity - Positive
Vertical Timing Polarity - Positive
Interlaced/Progressive - Progressive
G.Pixel Clock (KHz) - 148500
G.Refresh Rate (Hz) - 60
HDMI Link Status Monitoring - Disabled
Current Link Settings - Not Available

Monitor 2 (HDMI):

Horizontal Timing Total - 2200
Horizontal Timing Display - 1920
Horizontal Timing Front Porch - 88
Horizontal Timing Sync Width - 44
Vertical Timing Total - 1125
Vertical Timing Display - 1080
Vertical Timing Front Porch - 4
Vertical Timing Sync Width - 5
Horizontal Timing Polarity - Positive
Vertical Timing Polarity - Positive
Interlaced/Progressive - Progressive
G.Pixel Clock (KHz) - 148350
G.Refresh Rate (Hz) - 59.9394
HDMI Link Status Monitoring - Disabled
Current Link Settings - Not Available

Am I in RMA territory?

0 Likes
23 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Re: 5700 GPU times out when monitors wake from sleep (VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR)

Disable "turn off the display" feature of Windows like this:
Annotation 2019-09-26 060008.png
and disable FastBoot with Windows Power Options. VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR error is a driver-induced error. A change to

Radeon Settings software may cause this error. Use Radeon settings by default. You may also need to update your mobo BIOS. Test the system separately with FurMark (GPU test 800x600 without AA) (PSU test 800x600 with FurMark CPU Burner without AA...same time!) and Prime95 (CPU test) to find the cause of the third problem. Find out what maximum temperature values are for the CPU and the GPU.  Also, some people using 2 monitors at the same time are having problems. If possible, use a single monitor until you find the cause of the problem.

elstaci
MVP

Adding to what mstfbsrn980‌ mentioned, Here is an Official AMD Support page concerning your error: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-800 

blindpanic
Adept III

Though never turning off the monitors may work, it's not an ideal solution.  Same with using a single monitor.

Last night I updated to the latest bios, reformatted and installed a fresh Win 10 1903, performed all updates, installed the latest chipset driver from AMD, installed 19.9.2 Radeon driver.  When I got to my computer this morning the monitors turned on and immediately the graphics card timed out again.  It seems to especially happen when the computer has been idle for a long time.   I'm going to RMA unless someone else is having this issue or there's an obvious solution.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

A system without a hardware problem will not crash because of running for a long time. There may be a hardware problem without the GPU on your system. You have also written many problems not one with different causes.

VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR error is usually caused by the display driver. (19.9.3 display driver maybe fix this problem...)
Green Screen error is usually caused by not updated the display driver or OS. (Windows 10 1903 18362.357 OS maybe fix this problem...)

The fact that a system cannot stay in operation for a long time is different. One (mobo PSU GPU...) of your hardwares you use may be problematic.

blindpanic
Adept III

I'm focusing now on the TDR error as the green screen hasn't happened in over a week. Windows is fully updated and 19.9.3 is optional as it adds support for some feature for vega, 19.9.2 is the WHQL. The computer is running fine up until the moment I give mouse input and the monitors exit power save mode - then I get the TDR error.  While I agree it's possible this is an issue caused by other hardware (PSU maybe), the only evidence I have is pointing at the video card.  I think it's one of three things:

1) Old power supply,  (my Corsair 750w is somewhere around 7 years old)

2) GPU Hardware issue

3) GPU driver issue specifically related to my monitor situation (mismatched monitor frame rate, 1 hdmi, 1 DP to DVI)

The reason I'm hesitant to shell out $100 to test a power supply is that it happens primarily when the system is idle and the power supply worked like a champ on my power hungry FX 8350 / HD 6950 build. That system was perfectly stable and the PSU is the only component I've kept.

My problem now is that if it is the GPU, the issue is somewhat rare so a driver solution may take forever and an RMA would not work because the problem is difficult to reproduce.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

As long as you continue to use "Turn off the display" feature, this error will not be fixed. And also your PSU is good. In short, the problem you're experiencing is GPU does not wake up. Ask to AMD for the cause of this problem. You are using PCI Gen4 and this kind of change may be causing this problem. But I don't know why.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

elstaci
MVP

You can use OCCT to test your PSU. It is the only free diagnostic stress testing software to have that feature.

You can run the PSU test which is OCCT running both the CPU and GPU Stress test at the same time. while the test is running you can check the PSU outputs and CPU/GPU temps and voltages and frequencies to see if there is anything abnormal.

Do you have the latest Motherboard BIOS version installed? PRIME X570-PRO Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

And Asus Chipset:

Upgrading and installing those two may help with your GPU and driver issues.

By the way, I have a 8-9 y/o Corsair 850 watt PSU (Top of the line Model at that time) that is working perfectly with a fully loaded Motherboard and a GTX 1070 GPU card.

elstaci
MVP

Many Users are having issues with the RX 5700.

0 Likes
blindpanic
Adept III

I do have the latest ASUS bios but I have refrained from using the ASUS chipset driver as it seems to be the general best practice to use the drivers directly from AMD.  The ASUS chipset driver is outdated.

0 Likes