cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

blindpanic
Adept III

5700 GPU times out when monitors wake from sleep (VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR)

I've been having tons of problems with this GPU, most were solved with the latest drivers but this issue persists. I've been playing my favorite new game primarily, event viewer.

Primary Issue:

About 1/3 of the time that I awake my monitors from sleep with mouse/keyboard input the video output freezes.  Here is a summary of what I see in event viewer when this happens:

Error        9/25/2019 7:25:27 PM    volmgr            161    None
    Critical    9/25/2019 7:25:27 PM    Kernel-Power    41    (63)  (When I reset)
    Warning        9/25/2019 7:25:30 PM    e1rexpress        27    None ( Network turns off)
    Error        9/25/2019 7:25:34 PM    EventLog        6008    None
    Error        9/25/2019 7:25:34 PM    Eventlog        1101    Event processing
    Error        9/25/2019 7:25:37 PM    BugCheck  (0x00000116)      1001    None

I'm fairly certain this is a blue screen but I just can't see it because the driver fails to restart.  The bug check code has this description: "The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. "

Tertiary Issue:

My PC green screens and shuts down without blue screen under high GPU utilization from time to time.  I don't have much more on this as it happens rarely but I will update with event viewer details if it happens again.

Hardware:

R5 3600

ASUS Prime x570 Pro

RX 5700 reference card

Monitors

Monitor 1 (DP to DVI-D):

Horizontal Timing Total - 2200
Horizontal Timing Display - 1920
Horizontal Timing Front Porch - 88
Horizontal Timing Sync Width - 44
Vertical Timing Total - 1125
Vertical Timing Display - 1080
Vertical Timing Front Porch - 4
Vertical Timing Sync Width - 5
Horizontal Timing Polarity - Positive
Vertical Timing Polarity - Positive
Interlaced/Progressive - Progressive
G.Pixel Clock (KHz) - 148500
G.Refresh Rate (Hz) - 60
HDMI Link Status Monitoring - Disabled
Current Link Settings - Not Available

Monitor 2 (HDMI):

Horizontal Timing Total - 2200
Horizontal Timing Display - 1920
Horizontal Timing Front Porch - 88
Horizontal Timing Sync Width - 44
Vertical Timing Total - 1125
Vertical Timing Display - 1080
Vertical Timing Front Porch - 4
Vertical Timing Sync Width - 5
Horizontal Timing Polarity - Positive
Vertical Timing Polarity - Positive
Interlaced/Progressive - Progressive
G.Pixel Clock (KHz) - 148350
G.Refresh Rate (Hz) - 59.9394
HDMI Link Status Monitoring - Disabled
Current Link Settings - Not Available

Am I in RMA territory?

0 Likes
23 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Disable "turn off the display" feature of Windows like this:
Annotation 2019-09-26 060008.png
and disable FastBoot with Windows Power Options. VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR error is a driver-induced error. A change to

Radeon Settings software may cause this error. Use Radeon settings by default. You may also need to update your mobo BIOS. Test the system separately with FurMark (GPU test 800x600 without AA) (PSU test 800x600 with FurMark CPU Burner without AA...same time!) and Prime95 (CPU test) to find the cause of the third problem. Find out what maximum temperature values are for the CPU and the GPU.  Also, some people using 2 monitors at the same time are having problems. If possible, use a single monitor until you find the cause of the problem.

Though never turning off the monitors may work, it's not an ideal solution.  Same with using a single monitor.

Last night I updated to the latest bios, reformatted and installed a fresh Win 10 1903, performed all updates, installed the latest chipset driver from AMD, installed 19.9.2 Radeon driver.  When I got to my computer this morning the monitors turned on and immediately the graphics card timed out again.  It seems to especially happen when the computer has been idle for a long time.   I'm going to RMA unless someone else is having this issue or there's an obvious solution.

0 Likes

A system without a hardware problem will not crash because of running for a long time. There may be a hardware problem without the GPU on your system. You have also written many problems not one with different causes.

VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR error is usually caused by the display driver. (19.9.3 display driver maybe fix this problem...)
Green Screen error is usually caused by not updated the display driver or OS. (Windows 10 1903 18362.357 OS maybe fix this problem...)

The fact that a system cannot stay in operation for a long time is different. One (mobo PSU GPU...) of your hardwares you use may be problematic.

I'm focusing now on the TDR error as the green screen hasn't happened in over a week. Windows is fully updated and 19.9.3 is optional as it adds support for some feature for vega, 19.9.2 is the WHQL. The computer is running fine up until the moment I give mouse input and the monitors exit power save mode - then I get the TDR error.  While I agree it's possible this is an issue caused by other hardware (PSU maybe), the only evidence I have is pointing at the video card.  I think it's one of three things:

1) Old power supply,  (my Corsair 750w is somewhere around 7 years old)

2) GPU Hardware issue

3) GPU driver issue specifically related to my monitor situation (mismatched monitor frame rate, 1 hdmi, 1 DP to DVI)

The reason I'm hesitant to shell out $100 to test a power supply is that it happens primarily when the system is idle and the power supply worked like a champ on my power hungry FX 8350 / HD 6950 build. That system was perfectly stable and the PSU is the only component I've kept.

My problem now is that if it is the GPU, the issue is somewhat rare so a driver solution may take forever and an RMA would not work because the problem is difficult to reproduce.

0 Likes

As long as you continue to use "Turn off the display" feature, this error will not be fixed. And also your PSU is good. In short, the problem you're experiencing is GPU does not wake up. Ask to AMD for the cause of this problem. You are using PCI Gen4 and this kind of change may be causing this problem. But I don't know why.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

You can use OCCT to test your PSU. It is the only free diagnostic stress testing software to have that feature.

You can run the PSU test which is OCCT running both the CPU and GPU Stress test at the same time. while the test is running you can check the PSU outputs and CPU/GPU temps and voltages and frequencies to see if there is anything abnormal.

Do you have the latest Motherboard BIOS version installed? PRIME X570-PRO Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

And Asus Chipset:

Upgrading and installing those two may help with your GPU and driver issues.

By the way, I have a 8-9 y/o Corsair 850 watt PSU (Top of the line Model at that time) that is working perfectly with a fully loaded Motherboard and a GTX 1070 GPU card.

I do have the latest ASUS bios but I have refrained from using the ASUS chipset driver as it seems to be the general best practice to use the drivers directly from AMD.  The ASUS chipset driver is outdated.

0 Likes

The Asus Chipset is only a couple of months old. Besides, I would believe the Asus Chipset would be better to install since it is made specifically for your Motherboard.

0 Likes

It is not clear which driver they want you to install first.  The only available drivers are:

1.9.27.1033 (current, what I have)

1.07.07.0725 (oldest)

Which one of these is 19.10.xx ?

0 Likes

This is the last Asus CHIP SET with 19.10 version on it:

It seems like this the Chipset that needs to be installed before installing the latest Asus Chipset.

I am not sure if you will need to uninstall the AMD Chipset or not.

Your issue does seem to be related to the GPU card and AMD Driver. But maybe the Asus Chipset may help make the motherboard more compatible with the GPU Card and Windows.

0 Likes

Oh I see,  Can I DDU my current AMD chipset driver?

0 Likes

According to this Tom's Hardware Thread one User says you can use DDU to uninstall the AMD Chipset drivers: Question - Completely Remove AMD Chipset Drivers | Tom's Hardware Forum 

0 Likes

Many Users are having issues with the RX 5700.

0 Likes

Adding to what mstfbsrn980‌ mentioned, Here is an Official AMD Support page concerning your error: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-800 

blindpanic
Adept III

I am no longer experiencing this exact issue, though I have been getting several other BSODs on 19.9.3.  I've noticed AMD has removed 19.9.3 and replaced it with 19.10.1 and I am preparing to try that driver.  Though AMD did include the issue of topic in this thread as a known issue:

Known Issues

• Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may experience display loss when resuming from sleep or hibernate when multiple displays are connected.

I am now getting (on 19.9.3)

'Kernel Security Check Error' caused by AMDRSServ.exe  and 'Timer or DPC Invalid' caused by ntkrnlmp.exe.  Another user on reddit noted that AMDRSServ.exe is using gigabytes of network data outpacing everything else on his machine.  I continue to recommend to everyone having issues to not install Radeon Settings, I assume that service comes with settings.

At current, my crashes have happened every night after about an hour of gaming on two monitors, one netflix.  It seems there are still a ton of users having these sorts of problems.  Hopefully the drivers will mature soon, I feel this launch was rushed.

0 Likes

This  is the reply I gave on this  previous AMD Thread concerning that specific file: Is there an options at AMD Radeon Settings to disable AMDRSServ.exe and amdow.exe? 

0 Likes

Thanks, I am now trying to install the least amount of extra stuff and it seems to help a bit, but I am still having issues.

0 Likes
blindpanic
Adept III

Just an update.  Every time I think my system is stable I get another seemingly random BSOD.  Here is a list of the crashes I've had in the last week (You can extrapolate and see how my first two months of ownership has gone):

10/02/2019 - Unable to produce minidump
10/02/2019 - 0x00000116 - VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Installed Radeon 19.9.3
10/03/2019 - 0x000000d1 - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
10/05/2019 - 0x00000153 - KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION
10/06/2019 - 0x00000139 - KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (AMDRSServ.exe)

Re-installed Radeon 19.9.3 without Radeon Settings / report wizard
10/06/2019 - 0x00000050 - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
10/07/2019 - 0x000000c7 - TIMER_OR_DPC_INVALID (ntkrnlmp.exe)

Installed Radeon 19.10.1
10/09/2019 - 0x0000003b - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
10/11/2019 - 0x0000007e - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (MiStoreWriteModifiedPages)

I didn't run WinDbg for each so I don't have the driver or process causing all of them, if anyone knows how to find that info way after the fact let me know.  WinDbg only ever opens the most recent crash.  AMD Tech support sent me to a windows help page on one of the error codes which didn't even have steps to resolve the issue.  Nearly all of these seem to be driver issues and my entire system AMD so I expect more support for these brand new parts.

0 Likes

Only the motherboard can give so many different errors. I think you should not look for the error with the GPU.

0 Likes

I made a post on the processor support forum, I have seen one other user report similar errors on a 3600.  The only reason I don't think its a hardware issue is that all of the windows error descriptions and problems point to software issues.  Almost none of these errors when googled suggest hardware problems.

0 Likes

Go to the motherboard BIOS and try turning the features specified for the CPU on or off. (example: cool'n'quiet feature) Also try this for PCI. If you can't get results, you will use your consumer rights.

0 Likes

The problem with RMA is I don't know which part to RMA. I want AMD to just take it all back and I'll just use my rock solid FX 8350 build for another decade.

0 Likes

Use a single monitor. This will reduce possibility of GPU driver failure. Turn off features such as C-State with BIOS. Your power supply may not fully support these features. B550 motherboards are not yet on the market. These motherboards should be expected for a new CPU upgrade. I suggest you wait for the B550.

0 Likes