cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Spektre99
Adept II

5600G capable of 3D stereoscopic output?

The title says it all.

Is the 5600G (paired with a proper motherboard) capable of outputting stereoscopic 3D?  Is it quad-buffered?

1 Solution

So, unfortunately, the answer to " If you don't see 3D toggle then it means that 3D signal cannot be transmitted. So, the root cause could be a bad DP-HDMI adapter, incompatible CPU or the HDMI input on your TV is not set to "3D Mode=ON"

Is that the 5600G is an incompatible CPU.

The TV automatically switches to 3D Mode when a 3D compatible signal is provided.  The likely outcome is that if you are able to get any 3D content from a 5600G it is a fluke.

"1. You do not see this toggle when connected to the HDMI port?
[fsadough]: I don't even get a signal when a 3D monitor is detected because we never advertised 3D Stereo support on Ryzen 5000 Series APUs"

Any 3D capable display I am aware of will render a 2D signal just fine.  This answer doesn't make any sense.

For now, I'll have to stick with my low end Team Green 1050ti CPU.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
77 Replies
Spektre99
Adept II

bump

0 Likes

What was this message supposed to show?

0 Likes

bump

0 Likes

bump

0 Likes

bump

0 Likes
fsadough

No. For 3D Stereoscopic output you need a workstation GPU 

That's not true.  Stereoscopy works fine on RX 5xx and RX 5xxx series GPUs.

When did AMD drop 3D stereoscopy support?

0 Likes

Define 3D Stereoscopic. 

Quadbuffer OpenGL 3D Passive Stereo works only on workstation GPUs. 3D active stereo works with consumer GPUs as well, since it is now controlled by Windows. In terms of 5600G, I have never tried it but active stereo should work as well. It would be beneficial to know what Stereo display and application is being used.

0 Likes

3D stereoscopic here is defined as the ability to produce the protocol defined in the HDMI 1.4b specification for the display of 3D gaming and 3D home theater applications.

The ability to produce a 3D frame-packed HDMI output when presented with a system that includes a current AMD driver, an AMD GPU/APU and software created for the purpose of displaying 3D BluRays.

The specific test here was with a 3D 4k Samsung television attempting to output from a 5600G using a 3D BluRay drive and Cyberlink's PowerDVD 15.   The system successfully works with  an AMD 1600X paired with an NVidia 1050ti.  I would like to remove the Nvidia card and run on an AMD APU (the 5600G).

To my knowledge, active vs passive is a display term that indicates how the display renders the 3D HDMI signal.  It shouldn;t enter into the generation of the HDMI signal.

I had purchased (and then returned a 5600G as it did not produce 3D output.  (Indeed the system crashed repeatedly when trying to do so).  If there is a way to use a 5600G with an HDMI equipped motherboard to output 3D stereoscopy, I would like to learn how.

0 Likes

Any responses?

0 Likes

Do you still have the 5600G APU?

0 Likes

I can obtain one again easily enough.

The last time, setting it up with the latest AMD drivers and driving it with the PowerDVD software however tended to lock up the machine as opposed to outputting 3D stereo.

0 Likes

Can you please provide more detailed system info like:

1. Motherboard make and model
  2. 3D monitor/TV used (make and model)
  3. Cable and adapters used
  4. Application used (version and build)
  5. OS (version and build)
  6. AMD driver
0 Likes

1. Motherboard make and model - Gigabyte B450 DS3H
  2. 3D monitor/TV used (make and model) - Samsung UN85JU7100
  3. Cable and adapters used - HDMI cable, no adapter
  4. Application used (version and build) - PowerDVD 15
  5. OS (version and build) - Windows 10 Pro, 21H2
  6. AMD driver - Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL)
0 Likes

1. Have you contacted Samsung to find out what you need for Samsung 3D feature?
  2. When you connect your TV to the onboard HDMI, do you see "3D Mode" in Windows display manager?
0 Likes

1. Have you contacted Samsung to find out what you need for Samsung 3D feature?
  2. When you connect your TV to the onboard HDMI, do you see "3D Mode" in Windows display manager?

1.  Nothing special is needed to view 3d on the Samsung tv.  Any 3d frame packed HDMI protocol signal can be displayed by it.

2.   I currently do not have the 5600G, I can purchased one again if you can confirm it is capable of displaying 3D stereoscopic output as defined above.

0 Likes

Frame packed is part of HDMI spec defined by VESA standards. As far as I know all HDMI 1.4a versions and above support frame packing. On Gigabyte website looks like they use HDMI 2.0, so you should be good but at the same time I would like to remind you that we have not tested 3D functionality with our APUs.

0 Likes

Which brings me to the first post of the thread.

I was told through tech support that it doesn't support it, but at the same time that neither does the RX5xx and RX5xxx line which is demonstrably false.

The motherboard's HDMI spec is capable of supporting the protocol.  The question is...is the 5600G?

0 Likes

in 2019, my MSI B450i mother board with windows 10 and 2400G CPU/GPU worked perfectly fine with HDMI 1.4b stereoscopic output e.g. 1920x1080 3D. Use case is playing back 3D Blu Ray. Programs where WinDVD and Kodi (MVC build).

Some windows Upgrade in 2020 or 2020 and/or AMD GPU driver update killed that wonderful working setup. I have since tried to fix it, but whenever either of those programs try to switch to 3D display mode, the AMD GPU driver crashes, and from then on, even after reboot, it will continue to crash and be replaced by a windows fallback display driver. Must reinstall windows or use restore point. When the AMD driver is running, it does of course offer in windows config the 3D option, but no application is able anymore to render 3D. AMD seemingly does not care. All the people who want running 3D seem to be going for Intel CPU/GPU now, where the drivers do maintain working 3D support.

I did recently upgrade to 5600G, and the results are the same. Aka: The GPU can all do it, but AMD does not want to write working software that supports it. They only want to make window look as if it is supported, so that users like i are frustrated in wasting time experimenting, to just get frustrated in the end.

Note that AMD or Intel have never supported 3D rendering of games. Only NVidia did that, but you need community tools to still play games in 3D on NVidia.

Thanks for the report of it not working on your 2xxx series APU.   I like to stay Team Red, but I guess for now, I will stick with Team Green for my 3D playback.  It's a shame they took this functionality out of their drivers.

0 Likes

You stick to team green?  I was not aware team green has an APU on their portfolio. I can assure you 3D works perfect on our discrete GPUs. I have tested it myself on Win 10 and Win 11.

0 Likes

@fsadough Can you please tell us, what application you use to validate 3D on discrete GPU ? And whether that 3D test is done on a 3D HDMI 1.4b TV or something else.

0 Likes

We use an internal tool to verify 3D Stereo. As a matter of fact 3D Mode is now being driven by Microsoft and there is no intervention required from AMD driver. In Windows Display Manager under Multiple Displays you should see "3D Display Mode" being enabled, if not you won't see 3D stereo in any application. Obviously you need a 3D stereo supported display, supported application and proper HDMI or DisplayPort cable. If you have a specific case where you meet all the requirements and not seeing 3D Stereo, please provide exact details and I will look into it. 

0 Likes

I have done this above.  I will run winver on my system.  I had  to return the 5600G for lack of 3D function, but I can repurchase it if AMD warrants it can output stereoscopic 3D.

0 Likes

I am in process of acquiring the APU to test 3D Stereo

0 Likes

Were you able to obtain one?

0 Likes

Yes, but it will be shipped by mid August. Most likely first week of September I will be able to test.

0 Likes

Any updates?  Were you able to test?

0 Likes

Any updates?

0 Likes

Can you please run winver and provide the exact OS build and version. 

0 Likes

The AMD 5 5600G is a Zen 3-based, desktop-gradefeaturing the Vega 7 graphics adapter. This 5 was unveiled in H1 2021. It features six CPU cores for 12 threads in total, running at 3.9 GHz to 4.4 GHz.

The CPU ships with AMD's Wraith Stealth cooler as long as it's not an version.

0 Likes

That's not true.  Stereoscopy works fine on RX 5xx and RX 5xxx series GPUs.

When did AMD drop 3D stereoscopy support?

0 Likes

Define 3D Stereo. There are two type of stereo features:

1. Active Stereo
  2. Passive Stereo based on OpenGL Quadbuffer (frame sequential)

Passive Stereo is supported only by Workstation GPUs and not Consumer GPUs. Active Stereo is supported by both Consumer (gaming) and Workstation GPUs.

0 Likes
fsadough

No Stereo support on Ryzen 5 Pro 4650 APU

0 Likes

But no confirmation on the 5600G?

0 Likes

Getting the 5600G APU next week to test

0 Likes

Great but.... Why does it take AMD months to get an AMD processor?

0 Likes

Stereo feature is a ProGraphics feature and not necessarily an APU feature. Your issue does not have high priority and CPUs and APUs are built in the systems for other customer issues. Please stand by.

0 Likes
fsadough

I just tested Ryzen 5 Pro 5650G on a motherboard with DisplayPort output. Stereo seems to be working. I need more detailed info n the application, 3D material and exact make and model of display used to watch 3D Stereo content. 

0 Likes