cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

5120 x 1440 not supported on R9 Fury

Hi.

I've just purchased a Samsung CRG9 monitor (5120 x 1440) and I have been struggling to get it to work at its native resolution.

I have tried both the display port cable that came with the monitor and one of my own.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting groundbreaking performance with my r9 Fury at that resolution, but for God's sake I was hoping to at least be able to render my DESKTOP at that resolution.

I'm frustrated.

Here's what I've tried:

- change display port cables

- try different DP port on GPU

- change from DP 1.4 -> 1.2 -> 1 1

- set custom resolution on AMD Control Centre (gives an error message saying resolution not supported)

- uninstall current drivers and install newest drivers

- power cycle monitor

- power cycle computer

- turning freesync off/on

- switching between freesync standard and premium

- changing from 10bit colour to 8bit

This card can output 4k@60hz which has more pixels than the ultrawide resolution so surely it's possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17 Replies

I don't know if that card ever supported ultra wide resolutions or super resolution. 

You can ask the cards maker for advice of AMD here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

I believe these two forum members have some experience with those cards. Maybe the can offer advice.

black_zion. colesdav

0 Likes

Only things I can suggest would to be sure you are using a fully up to date Windows 10 1909 or 2004, latest firmware, and are using the latest drivers for both the monitor and AMD. When I search for that same problem, which is common to Macs, they say the problem is the software, and I can believe that there is no support in the AMD drivers in Windows as well for such an odd resolution when only using a single cable vs two 2560x1440 monitors in Eyefinity. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me.

You definitely see a lot of people with issues with the odd ball wide monitors.

0 Likes

I've just filled out the form with my post details - I'll let you know how it goes

Still haven't received a response.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately a lot of people say the same. 

Have you tried talking to your cards maker yet, not just AMD?

0 Likes

I came across this on the Dell support article for their Dell U4919DW which has the same resolution, although it's a 60hz display. According to them any Radeon R7 or R9 video card can do 5120x1440 60hz, and the Fury series are technically R9 Fury cards like the R9 380 series. That article was last updated in August 2019, so it's likely that information is correct.

I would also try older drivers as well, since I have seen some threads where users state newer drivers block certain resolutions. 

I know back when the Wattman series came along that there were many complaints of wide formats that once worked not working anymore. I can't speak to this particular resolution. It certainly is possible to be driver related. I would ask the cards maker and maybe AMD support as well: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

I should mention the OP did ask AMD support, they just have not got any reply back. 

0 Likes

Very interesting article, it looks like it should in fact support the resolution. I'll attempt to use old drivers tomorrow to see if it fixes the ultrawide resolution.

Unfortunately even if it does fix it, I'd need newer drivers to be able to play Call of Duty without micro freezes (basically unplayable pre 20.2.2)

I should also add that I've purchased a 5700XT at a really good price in the meantime. Figured I'd sell it towards the end of the year when the new GPUs release and just upgrade then. I'll loose some money (may break even) but at least I'll be able to use the monitor.

Well looks like the 5700XT did the trick - as soon as I installed it the resolution was available.

I think the poor old R9 Fury just wasn't up to the task with the current software. It had a good run.

Still annoying that a flagship product of a previous generation has such bad support on current drivers though.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to test the Fury with older drivers guys, so if someone with the same setup happens to stumble on this thread - my advice is just get a new GPU lol.

The Fury would struggle pushing 5120x1440 even if it was available.

Thank you to all that tried to help.

R9 FuryX/Fury/Nano are a flagship product of three AMD generations ago if you are going to call RX5700XT a flagship GPU.
RX480 8GB Polaris was as good as it got for a while.
Then Vega is the previous generation to
RX5700XT. 

Based on the specs I sent to you, the best the Fury X can drive is 4K60, and I am not surprised they cannot run any higher resolution.
Affordable 4K monitors were very rare when the Fury X was launched.
They are still good GPU for Compute and Blender.

I can definitely appreciate the R9 Fury's age by now, however I still stand by what I said earlier about a lack of support with current software - especially considering that the resolution should technically be supported as per black_zion‌'s article.

In fact, running a 4k resolution is 12.5% higher than the ultrawide resolution of the Samsung CRG9.

Please see below:

5120 x 1440 (Ultrawide) = 7,372,800 pixels
3840 x 2160 (4K) = 8,294,400 pixels

I was never expecting to game at an acceptable level at 5120 x 1440 - I just wanted to select the monitors native resolution in the desktop.

0 Likes

One thought - in case the display resolution problem is driver related.

Did you try installing the following driver on the Fury card you have?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-20-q2

Is this the correct link? That link looks like it's for an enterprise driver.

0 Likes

Yes that is the correct link.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-20-q2 
After much asking, and some support cases I opened for some cards that the driver would not install on.
AMD now allow you to install Radeon Pro for Enterprise Drivers on Randeon GPUs such as:
PowerColor RX5700XT Red Dragon.
XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid.
PowerColor RX Vega 56 Red Dragon.
Gigabyte RX 590 REV 1.0&REV2.0.
XFX R9 390X 8GB OC Black Edition. 
etc.
Please see the following link in the release notes:
"

NOTES:

pastedImage_2.png

If youi want more history about this I can lookup the links to my posts about it.
If the drivers will not install on your Fury GPU - open up a support thread on this Forum and File an AMD Reporting form about it.
Some AIB GPUs are not recognised.

If you have a Radeon Pro GPU installed on your System you will see a Blue Themed  Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI  with no access to Wattman for any of the Radeon GPUs on your system.
If you do not have any Radeon Pro GPU on your system, you will see a normal red themed Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI  with access to Wattman for all of your GPUs.

Hope that helps.

Bye.

0 Likes