cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Kazuo93
Journeyman III

4Gb VRAM but low fps

So I recently bought a Yeston AMD R5 M240 graphics card with 4GB VRAM, DX11 support, and 1333MHz clock speed. This was supposed to be an upgrade from my VTX R7 250 1GB VRAM card. That said, despite having all the drivers up to date, even uninstalling the old driver and reinstalling it (even though they were both supported by the same Radeon Adrenalin Software), and also making sure everything was tightly fit and no loose parts, I am getting WORSE frame rates.

I play games like FFXIV and Genshin Impact, getting anywhere between 40-60 fps when not streaming on my OLD card. On this new card, I am only getting anywhere between 10-20 fps, which shouldn't make sense when I have more VRAM available. Additionally, when I tried running Tekken 7 on it (where I got about 30-45 fps on my old card), it only ran at about 15-20 fps, and even crashed the Unreal Engine due to, quote, "D3D device being lost".

Additional specs

Motherboard: MSI A68HM-E33 V2 (updated to version 7721v85 as of September 20, 2020)

Processor: AMD A8-7600

Monitor: Viewsonic VA1903 Series

Old Card: VTX3D R7 250 X-Edition

Current Card with Issue: Yeston Radeon R5 M240-4GD3 VA

Radeon Software version: 20.11.2 (released 11/13/2020)

0 Likes
2 Solutions

The R5 M240 is a mobility card, and the R7 250 is a desktop card...Both cards are EXTREMELY weak and are not intended for gaming in any way.

There is nothing wrong, they're just that weak.

View solution in original post

Ouch that sounds more like a card you replace at this point not buy. 

Seriously though to the OP more ram doesn't mean more speed it is all about the processing speed first. The card you had is much faster than the new card you bought just slower. By todays standards though @black_zion is very correct, both are slow.

This site can illustrate the difference in speed so you can see for yourself: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-250-vs-Radeon-R5-M240

That card I'm sure would be fine for office and web browsing work but not up to most tasks beyond that, frankly even when it was new tech, and it way far from new tech and still only better than what you had in the memory department. Neither of these cards were ever good gamers by any means. Although obviously it met your needs for a while so that is great.  

You bought this card new and may not realize it is old stock. That card came out back in 2013. In computer age it is pretty much pre-historic at this point. 

If there is any chance you can return it still I would and if you don't have the budget for better new right now. Look at ebay or similar as you can get some used cards from a few years back that would run circles around the one you just bought for under 100 bucks. 

Something like a RX 480  8gb card I just looked at on ebay for $71, used for instance. It would fully support the current DX 12 standard too that has been out for years at this point not limited to DX 11 like what you just bought. 

I know this stuff can get confusing and aggravating. 

Anyway if you need some help figuring something out. Just report back with your budget and I know  @black_zion and I would be happy to make some suggestions if you would like. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The R5 M240 is a mobility card, and the R7 250 is a desktop card...Both cards are EXTREMELY weak and are not intended for gaming in any way.

There is nothing wrong, they're just that weak.

Ouch that sounds more like a card you replace at this point not buy. 

Seriously though to the OP more ram doesn't mean more speed it is all about the processing speed first. The card you had is much faster than the new card you bought just slower. By todays standards though @black_zion is very correct, both are slow.

This site can illustrate the difference in speed so you can see for yourself: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R7-250-vs-Radeon-R5-M240

That card I'm sure would be fine for office and web browsing work but not up to most tasks beyond that, frankly even when it was new tech, and it way far from new tech and still only better than what you had in the memory department. Neither of these cards were ever good gamers by any means. Although obviously it met your needs for a while so that is great.  

You bought this card new and may not realize it is old stock. That card came out back in 2013. In computer age it is pretty much pre-historic at this point. 

If there is any chance you can return it still I would and if you don't have the budget for better new right now. Look at ebay or similar as you can get some used cards from a few years back that would run circles around the one you just bought for under 100 bucks. 

Something like a RX 480  8gb card I just looked at on ebay for $71, used for instance. It would fully support the current DX 12 standard too that has been out for years at this point not limited to DX 11 like what you just bought. 

I know this stuff can get confusing and aggravating. 

Anyway if you need some help figuring something out. Just report back with your budget and I know  @black_zion and I would be happy to make some suggestions if you would like. 

Kazuo93
Journeyman III

Thanks to those who chimed in. I actually got a friend to also look in and, as one of you mentioned, it is apparently a mobile chip not meant for desktops. I requested a refund from the seller and getting my money back for the bogus sale.

0 Likes