Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

drejpf
Journeyman III

290x lightning overheating

Hi

I've had a r9 290x lightning in my rig for a few years now and in the past year it's been playing up quite often. Temperatures while running games like rust can reach temperatures of up to 100 degrees Celsius. I begin receiving graphical glitches and anomalies in the game and within a matter of 10 seconds the game stops responding and I end up with a black screen.

It's certainly possible that the black screen is not a result of the temperature although that's all I can think of. I've tried decreasing the temperature by running all fans in my rig at 100%, I've cleaned out my case and GPU for dust and have not seen any other people experiencing the same issues with my card.

I've had it looked at by a PC store however I was told there was not a problem with it. I've been contemplating opening up my GPU and ordering some thermal paste to change it although I'm worried about having to replace and apply the thermal pads.

I have also updated all of my graphics drivers.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
3 Replies
amdpete
Staff
Staff

Re: 290x lightning overheating

If the GPU goes higher than 94C it can lead to problems, Since you have cleaned it of dust it does look like thermal paste needs applying which you have already mentioned.  As long as you are careful you should be OK. There are videos which show you the general principals:

Replacing GPU Thermal Paste/Fan Featuring the Reference AMD R9 290 - YouTube

Obviously you can skip the fan replacing parts of that video.

0 Likes
drejpf
Journeyman III

Thanks for the reply

I would go ahead and follow the steps in the video although this is a tutorial for the r9 290 whereas my card is the 290x lightning. There is a very big difference in terms of performance and design. I'm having difficulty finding a video for the 290x lightning Thanks for your help though.

0 Likes
drejpf
Journeyman III

But I think the steps should not differ very much so I might go ahead and try this.

Thanks

0 Likes