cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ischyro
Adept II

20.3.1 Reintroduced the Blackscreen Issues on 5700XT. It only happens when recording with Radeon Relive after minutes of gameplay.

The blackscreen issue that has been happening with the 5700 series cards came back with the latest driver: 20.3.1, only this time, it only happens while recording with Radeon Relive. Every time I play a game while recording with Radeon Relive, after a couple of minutes of gameplay, one of the following happens:

1. the system suddenly hangs and it needs a hard restart

2. the system will trigger a black screen and needs a hard restart

3. the system will trigger a black screen and it restarts itself

This did not happen with the 20.1.4 driver. Also, 20.2.2 driver which AMD claimed to have fixed the black screen issue had random black screen issue occurring in it, while 20.1.4 did not have it. Therefore, of all the drivers released post-September 2019, 20.1.4 is the most stable.

I tested recording with Windows Game Bar, and I've played hours without any issues, except, I do not want to use that recorder as it causes minor FPS drops.

amdmatt

1 Solution
ischyro
Adept II

Okay, finally got mine fixed on 2020.4.1 driver. It seems that the drivers post-2020.1.X don't like aggressive GPU memory overclocking. To test this theory, I have simply lowered the memory overclock -10MHz(real memory freq.), therefore running at 900MHz. To compensate with the loss of memory frequency, I have simply increased the GPU core clock to +10 MHz, giving it a maximum boost of 2080MHz.

I have played RE:3 while recording with Radeon Relive to the point that I have actually finished the story, and played CoD:MW while recording, all that without encountering any of the issues that I have initially encountered.

Hopefully, the black screens won't ever show up again.

Though, what still bugs me with this driver is that Relive won't record if the Audio Channel is set to "Automatic". And also, one thing that this driver has introduced is that the volume level of Relive now follows the volume level set in your system, unlike before where the volume level that it will record will always be 100% regardless of how low or how high the system volume is. This is really bad because I have really loud speakers and if I use my headphones, I normally set the volume low. For the meantime, I am just using a third party app to increase the volume of my videos.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies

20.3.1 is really buggy,  I get crashes every day with these drivers.

I just changed my graphics card earlier this week. I went from an RX570 to an RX5700XT.

Standard upgrade procedure: DDU, drivers update, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, SFC /SCANNOW...

I didn't have a single problem with the previous card. I now have the same problems as shown here. Brief black screen (completely random), or complete crash.

Most of the time, I don't have any problems in game. On the other hand, crashes always happen as soon as I use my webcam!

I don't know if it's related but I can see that the UVD clock goes up to maximum just before the crash. If I stop the webcam in time, the crash doesn't happen but the UVD clock stays at maximum. Once I launch a video on youtube, for example, the UVD clock goes back down!

Was there a more stable driver version?

5700xt crash.PNG5700xt crash2.PNG5700xt crash3.PNG

sh4kky
Journeyman III

rx 580 here, still suffering same problem from time to time (pretty much random)

ischyro
Adept II

I just rolled back to driver 20.1.4 and it is very stable indeed.

But what have I discovered? I just discovered that the 20.3.1 driver causes performance issues with Call of Duty Modern Warfare. No wonder I was getting framerate fluctuations from 120 FPS up to 144 FPS (Vsyn ON, because without Vsync, I get artifacts in the menus). When I played the game with the 20.1.4 driver, I was surprised that it was always running at 144 FPS solid. I thought that was caused by the game updates so I did not bother at first, only to find out that it was caused by the drivers.

My take-away is this: I guess I won't be updating my drivers until I am absolutely sure that AMD did not introduce any stability issues with them. And I won't be trusting tech media outlets anymore, because the only reason that I updated to the 20.2.2 driver is because they've claimed that AMD had "fixed" the black screen issue that was plaguing the 5700 XT for months. Although the 20.1.4 is stable, I decided to jump in to 20.2.2 because of their claims.

Ischyro,

I will try with the 20.1.4 and see if I have any improvement.

The weird thing is that with my RX570, I didn't have such issues ! Even if I systematically installed each new drivers when available.

0 Likes
enosh99
Journeyman III

This behavior, black screen followed by a reboot without a BSOD mini-dump or any other indication of a fault in the Windows Event log might explain why I've been having problems with random reboots during video conferences the last week or so. I did recently upgrade to 20.3.1 because of other, obviously graphics driver related problems I had. 

Thanks for the tip on 20.1.4 OP, I'm going to give that a shot myself and see how it goes.

0 Likes

Update: 

Neither 20.1.4 nor 20.2.2 have proven any better. I'm still getting at least one black screen lockup (20.1.4) or black screen reboot (20.2.2) per day with my system. The really annoying thing is I'm not actually playing games but rather just in video conferences in Teams when the event happens.

For what it's worth my system build is:

Ryzen 3600, Asus PRIME X570-P, PowerColor RX 5700 Red Dragon and 32GB RAM with Windows 10 1909

I do find it odd that every single failure has been while in a video conference. The audio device used for the conference doesn't seem to matter but it's only when my camera is running. Its annoying when your computer fails while playing, but failing while working is unacceptable.

I'm running Microsoft Teams 1.3.0.4461 with a Microsoft LifeCam Studio. In desperation I've moved the camera to a on motherboard USB port instead of hanging off a hub, though that really shouldn't matter.

Unfortunately telling other users here in these USER TO USER forums in not letting AMD know about the issue.

Make sure you all open a ticket with AMD, and tell them what driver worked and the ones you know of that don't.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
ischyro
Adept II

Just updated my drivers to 2020.4.1 (because of RE3 optimization) only to find out that Radeon Relive recording does not work anymore. They have re-introduced the bug where recording does not work if the Audio Channel is set to "Automatic". It would only work for "Stereo".

When I got to play RE3, started a recording, and after a few minutes... BOOM! Black screen again. I just restored my system from backup to make it as good as new again.

amdmatt‌, when will AMD stop introducing and re-introducing bugs in your drivers?

ischyro
Adept II

Okay, finally got mine fixed on 2020.4.1 driver. It seems that the drivers post-2020.1.X don't like aggressive GPU memory overclocking. To test this theory, I have simply lowered the memory overclock -10MHz(real memory freq.), therefore running at 900MHz. To compensate with the loss of memory frequency, I have simply increased the GPU core clock to +10 MHz, giving it a maximum boost of 2080MHz.

I have played RE:3 while recording with Radeon Relive to the point that I have actually finished the story, and played CoD:MW while recording, all that without encountering any of the issues that I have initially encountered.

Hopefully, the black screens won't ever show up again.

Though, what still bugs me with this driver is that Relive won't record if the Audio Channel is set to "Automatic". And also, one thing that this driver has introduced is that the volume level of Relive now follows the volume level set in your system, unlike before where the volume level that it will record will always be 100% regardless of how low or how high the system volume is. This is really bad because I have really loud speakers and if I use my headphones, I normally set the volume low. For the meantime, I am just using a third party app to increase the volume of my videos.

0 Likes