cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

originaltwilight
Journeyman III

16.15.5 now nothing works, I tried everything i can think of..!!

Firstly I’m pretty competent at building gaming rigs I started professionally in 1998. I have been out of it for a little over 2 years but I still think I am pretty competent. However, after installing Crimson 16.11.5 a few days ago my machine that has been as stable as a rock for years... has since been unable able to run any of my games without crashing…

I got back into MWO a couple of months ago, that crashes and kills the PC, Hawken fails to even get past the login screen and ARMA3 well forget it.

I have an old Thuban 6 Core that does me and XFX 7970 Ghost with 3Gb of RAM. That ran sweet as anything until 16.11.5. Quite a few theories are flying round the internet anyone got any concrete advice I tried all the usual stuff. Machine works perfectly in anything other than gaming...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

Re: 16.15.5 now nothing works, I tried everything i can think of..!!

System Restore.  Probably not much use in  updating drivers for older vidcards unless you saw something specific.

0 Kudos
originaltwilight
Journeyman III

Good call... I must be getting rusty I did actually set a Restore point early Nov. Although I now have one game working Hawken and that still crashes but at least not on the opening screen but nothing else works.... Not had time to sit and re-configure GTA4 throuh Steam or sort out MWO and its new patch 16Gb...??? Just say you want us to re download the game its easier.

What I am worried about is references to damage to the video card as thats the only thing that has been changed. Not the first time ATI based software has screwed me over. I lost a £160,000+ contract in 2003 when ATI drivers fooked up a development project.

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon

One more suggestion.

Make a new restore point.

Find DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and wipe out your AMD drivers.

this time install 16.9.2 which I believe are the WHQL version.

0 Kudos
originaltwilight
Journeyman III

Already did that and I am running the WHQL Drivers... Just re-installed MWO that has never crashed ever since I installed it prior to 16.15.5 and it has crashed to desktop twice...within 30 secs of entering the game. So either AMD have either monumentally messed up my Windows install or burnt out my 7970 Ghost Graphics Card....

As you can appreciate at this moment in time I am not happy with either prospect. Anyway I appreciate the help, you forget stuff when you don’t do it everyday.

0 Kudos
originaltwilight
Journeyman III

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Just got that and apparently it applies to hardware....

0 Kudos
Earnhardt
Paragon

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Currently running crossfired 7950's and W7 64 on 16.7.3 without issue,What are your spec's?

0 Kudos