cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

16.04Does anyone know of a good desktop / Gaming Video Recorder for Ubuntu 16.04 /18.04 LTS which works with AMDGPU/PRO Drivers?

Hi

I am looking for a good desktop / gaming video recorder that works with for Ubuntu/18.04 LTS which works with AMDGPU/PRO Drivers.
I want to be able to run games on Ubuntu and record them using the same machine if possible.

My current OBS install on Ubuntu 16.04LTS will not run for me. It complains the GPU Drivers are not supported.
Adrenalin ReLive is not available.

I have tried using vokoscreen, and it is ok for general desktop recording.

However it does struggle recording games at 1080p high settings, even at low framerates.

I could always try running an external or PCIe add in capture card, but I am not certain what is available.

Any help / advice welcome.

Thanks.

0 Likes
6 Replies

Here are a couple of examples of vokoscreen recording the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition on Steam OS + Linux.
I am running R9 FuryX, i7-4790K, ASUS Z97 Deluxe Motherboard. 2TB SSHD. 32GB Ram.
I am running the game on maxed out settings at 1080p.
Even though the Framerate is low, the vokoscreen recorder is having a hard time.

You can see record - encode pause - record - encode pause ... etc at keyframe intervals.

Intro Scene:               The Witcher 2: Assasins of Kings Enhanced Edition run on SteamOS on Linux. Intro. AMDGPU/PRO Driver....

Gameplay Scene:     The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition. Gameplay SteamOS+Linux. AMDGPU/PRO Driver - YouT...

I may add a comparison video to show how Windows 10 64bit and Adrenalin ReLive perform at 1080p with maxed out graphics.

That might be an interesting comparison.

0 Likes

so basically it is not running fluidly. It is stop and go from what I see in the YouTube link.

It is like a movie that stops to download more video before continuing the movie and does this continuously.

You probably are aware of all of these Linux Screen Recorders from this website: https://www.ubuntupit.com/15-best-linux-screen-recorder-and-how-to-install-those-on-ubuntu/

This website says the Simple Screen is good for recording games: How To Record Gameplay On Linux With Simple Screen Recorder

0 Likes

Hi,

The game itself is smooth in Linux on my PC Screen.

The recording, at least using vokoscreen, is using the CPU and this is showing typical CPU based record, encode, save at a predefined keystep interval. 
The intro scene on the first link is pretty bad, early on, but later on during the frozen ship scene the recording starts to cope better.
There are likely other options such as using PCIe based capture card, or external capture card (such as Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme + Laptop).

It is much better to run the video recording using the GPU itself ... so I am looking for something there.

OBS *might* be able to do that.
I am currently running  an old version of OBS so I will look for an update.

Note that OBS might have a problem because I am running AMDGPU-PRO + ROCm install.

The second video showing gameplay records better but I am running maxed out Graphics Settings including AntiAliasing.

This title is running on OpenGL not Vulkan. I cannot run the secondary R9 Nano to 'help'.
I think the graphics look pretty good.

It is simply the video recorder I need a better solution than this one.

Bye.

0 Likes

I was referring to the video recording of the game that is was stop and go.

Yes, the graphics is outstanding. Its just the choppiness of the recording.

Have you by any chance tried GREEN RECORDER. Here is a description from GITHUB: GitHub - foss-project/green-recorder: A simple screen recorder for Linux desktop. Supports Wayland &...

Copied from GITHUB:

How it works?

It uses the D-Bus API to connect to the built-in screencasting tool in GNOME Shell. It uses this to record video. To record audio, it launches an instance of ffmpeg in the background. After the recording is finished, it merges the two files into the WebM file.

For Xorg, it uses ffmpeg only for both audio and video.

By default, On Wayland only, Green Recorder uses the V8 encoder instead of the default V9 encoder in GNOME Shell because of the CPU & RAM consumption issue with V9. Which - now - should also give you better performance. On Xorg, each format uses its own default encoder.

Also, for GIF format, Green Recorder first records the required video as a raw video. And then it generated the GIF image from the raw video. In this way, you'll get an optimized GIF image size which is at least 10x better than the normal ffmpeg recording.

https://github.com/foss-project/green-recorder#localizationLocalization

Green Recorder supports localization. If you want to translate the program into your language, fork the repository on GitHub and create a new file under "po" folder with your language ISO code (like fr.po, de.po, cs.po..). And translate the strings from there.

Alternatively, you can open the green-recorder.pot file using programs like PoEdit and start translating.

0 Likes

Hi,

Glad you think the graphics look good.

I am open to looking at anything.

Maybe I am being unrealistic w.r.t vokoscreen though.
It is pretty good.

It is recording at 75FPS 1080p at high quality at the moment.

That is a pretty tough call even for a dedicated capture card.

The mostly max out at 1080p 60FPS until recently.

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi.

I dropped the vokoscreen recorder and game to 60 FPS.

Much better now, but on the limit of what can be done with vokoscreen I think.

Witcher 3 Intro recorded in vokoscreen on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with AMDGPU/PRO Drivers at 1080p 60 FPS. ...

I will still look for better solutions.
Bye.

0 Likes