cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ValeYard
Adept I

11-12 fps with HDR on in certain games, 7900xtx

On Cyberpunk, Destiny 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Red Dead 2 so far I‘ve had this issue that turning HDR on causes the frame rate to sink to 11-12 fps. One time, turning off the Adrenaline overlay helped. 

Using the Windows hotkey to turn HDR off makes the FPS immediately normal again. 

CPU 7700X with 7900XTX using a Samsung Neo G9 monitor. 

Anyone found a solution?

14 Replies
Cip
Adept II

I have the same issue. It seems that in some games if HDR is enabled before launching the game, the GPU performance stays at idle levels and it does not ramp up.
I launch Cyberpunk and the GPU utilization is only 8% and I have 8 fps in the menu and game.

Maybe an issue between Win 11, HDR and GPU driver.

Same behavior in Far Cry 6 as well. No issues in Doom Eternal.
Workaround which works on my PC:
- turn off HDR in game
- turn on HDR in Windows
- start game
-turn on HDR in game
- use hotkey to turn off HDR in windows
- monitor will dim and go bright again with HDR remaining enabled in the game and actually working

CPU 5800X3D, GPU 7900XTX, Win 11, Display Neo G9.

ValeYard
Adept I

I'm so happy that I'm not alone!

I've also been playing around with the HDR hotkey. But doesn't turning it off sometimes take the HDR option away in a game? I think Shadow of the Tomb Raider handles HDR like that.

Maybe it's related to our monitor and how it handles HDR It would be great if a driver update gave us a more permanent fix. I'm almost at the point of leaving HDR off permanently. Some games look worse anyway...

0 Likes
Cip
Adept II

Some games just have bad HDR implementation and it seems there are also different ways to enable them based on the game.
In Mass Effect games, you do not need to turn HDR on in Windows before starting the game.
Doing that is just messing with the HDR. You only need to enable it in the game.

In other games you can't even see the HDR option unless you enable it before in Windows and in others the HDR option is grayed out unless HDR was enabled before launching the game.

HDR is a hit and miss since everyone does whatever they want it seems

But seeing GPU staying at idle performance just because HDR is on this is definitely a bug.
I have sent a crash report from Adrenalin app so hopefully it will get solved, eventually.

ValeYard
Adept I

Abslutely, HDR is not in a great place. I tried your fix and even whem Shadow of the Tomb Raider grays out the HDR option, it still seems to display HDR but with the proper framerate.

I hope there's a driver fix nevertheless.

0 Likes
DiabloSouls
Adept III

Something is up with hdr yeah, my friend has same problem as OP mentioned on his 7900 XTX card, while mine 7900XT pc with hdr enabled is same as with disabled. Not even tv recognises hdr, qn90a.

0 Likes
brutlern
Adept II

I just got my 7900XT and have the same issue. So far tested Shadow of the Tomb Raider, NFS Unbound, Spiderman Remastered and Far Cry 6. As soon as I turn on HDR in fullscreen, the GPU goes to idle mode. However only Fullscreen is affected. HDR + Windowed mode works fine, also games which are AutoHDR compatible (SotTR, Spiderman, Far Cry 6 are, NFS isn't) also work with AutoHDR + Fullscreen (with in game HDR off).

I've tried Auto HDR in Cyberpunk and it works even if it is disabled in the game and GPU is not idle while in the game.
Thx for the hint.
Much easier workaround to use for now.

I don't know if you read my other post, I found the problem. It's the OSD from the AMD software. I disabled all of it (the monitoring, the sidebar, etc), and instantly all HDR issues were fixed. Already reported the bug to AMD.

0 Likes
lopols
Adept II

I still have issues with HDR under 5700 XT and Windows 10...you are complaining for RDNA3...

0 Likes

You should upgrade to Win11 as it's HDR support is far superior, and AutoHDR just works. My issue is a very specific problem to the 7900XT(X) (as far as I can tell).

0 Likes
brutlern
Adept II

I have found the problem (at least in may case, don't know if it applies to everyone). The issue was the AMD Overlay. The Overlay + HDR don't work together. As soon as I turned off the overlay performance was back to normal.

The overlay is definitely the issue.
I've tried it on Cyberjanky and FC6. As soon as I enable the overlay the performance drops.
After closing the performance overlay the gpu performance goes back to normal. 

0 Likes
ValeYard
Adept I

Alissaaaaaaaaaaaaa found a solution on Reddit: it's the recoding feature in adrenaline causing the problem. I even needed to turn off instant gifs along with Live Replay. Now HDR works.

0 Likes
lopols
Adept II

What a surprise - AMD Driver quality always was on a good level!

0 Likes