• Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • latest. was my go to fix and didn't work

CPU/APU

• i5 4590
  • RAM
    • 16GB

I keep getting 100% gpu use when playing rust and csgo. i got to the performance tab of task manager and the 3D engine says 100% which is causing really bad stuttering in game and i can't seem to figure out why. any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
7 Replies
dstmnd89x
Challenger

100% usage in games is typically good; means the card is utilizing all of it's available power.

Is there anything running on the same disk in the background, like updates or such? If so, and it's a spinning drive, you'll likely encounter some stutter because the drive and CPU are working on background tasks. Use Process Explorer to see if there are any resource-hogging processes and perhaps look at your AV software as well.

If this is a new issue and wasn't there before did it start after you updated the graphics driver or a Windows update. These are the likely culprits when something changes it is usually the most recent change that caused it.

If you changed driver, try reinstalling the driver using the custom setting and clean install. Also always make sure all Windows updates are done before installing new drivers, even the optional ones and often they are the .net ones and those are what the drivers need.

Now if this change happened sudden like, look at your windows update history and see if maybe an update happened between the last time you know all was fine and when the problem started. You could uninstall or rollback the change and see if that helps. If not you can just reinstall the update.

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
wicked91
Journeyman III

Unfortunately after opening the case and checking the GPU I realized one of the fans isn't rotating. Checking the Temp showed the gpu running at 99* i think the fan was trying to counter the high temps and pooped out. Probably should've turned on the AC sooner.

0 Likes

Yep, that's way too hot; the card will throttle down performance in order to protect itself from damaging heat--resulting in noticeable performance hits.

Did this completely fix the issue, or do you need some help with fixing the fan curve?

0 Likes

If you have a dead fan, time for an RMA if it is still under warranty. Even if it is not you can talk to the makers tech support and maybe buy an exact set of replacement fans. If not hopefully they are a standard fan.

0 Likes

i've gotten in touch with XFX tech support and hopefully they will be able to send a new fan out. they have you file a claim on their support site so now i'm just waiting for a response.

0 Likes

Be glad you have an XFX they are definitely the best IMHO of taking care of things under warranty. I have had 3 cards replaced over the years by them and zero issues getting that to happen. They did send me a fan kit once too. Unlike S*phire who I just gave up out of frustration.

0 Likes