cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

constantinevi
Adept II

0x00000116 BSOD after change to Radeon VII

• Issue Description: My computer going black screen while I am gaming, and the music or skype will still work for about 30 seconds but mouse and keyboard are not active anymore, and than PC freeze and restart. After restarting PC, I fine BSOD message with error code 0x00000116 .
  • BSOD message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: dxgkrnl.sys

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
    restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
    these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
    If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
    for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
    or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
    If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
    your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
    select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000116 (0xffffe4082410d4a0, 0xfffff8054ca60474, 0xffffffffc0000001,
    0x0000000000000003)

*** dxgkrnl.sys - Address 0xfffff8054c39cf38 base at 0xfffff8054c200000 DateStamp
    0x04e5cf9e

• Hardware:
    • Graphics card: Radeon VII work at default 1802MHz/1000MHz and default voltage setting 1111 mV
    • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
    • Motherboard: ASUS Z97-Pro Wifi/USB3.1
    • RAM: 32GB Kingston DDR3 @1866 MHz
    • PSU: Antec HCG 850W
    • Monitor 1: LG 27UK850-W @4K freesync enabled connect on Radeon VII
    • Monitor 2: Philips 237EQPH connect on Intel Graphic HD 4600
  • Software:
    • Windows 10 64 bit 1803
    • Latest graphics driver 19.4.1
    • Latest UEFI BIOS from AMD flashed

I have alos try connect one screen, flash install Win 10, even change my Antec EDGE 650W to this HCG 850W, but don't help. Does I get a bad Radeon VII card? or it's caused by other reason?

I'm considering to have a RMA service.

Update 2019/05/05:

After RMA, I got another card back at 4/24. I try undervoltage and get stable setting at 1800/1200MHz@980mV and 0% power limit. This setting pass Time Spy Extreme stress test at 99.4%, so I choose this as my normal setting.

For next two weeks, I still have same problem: BSOD 0x00000116 and 0x100000ea keep coming to me, but the frequency seems not so high, about once 2 days. These two BDOS error all active in same mode:

screen freeze (sound keep working) -> screen lost signal and turn off (sound stop working) -> wait minutes -> PC restart. And than the BSOD dump record is there.

During these two weeks, I try to turn off Enhanced sync and AMD overlay,  which seems no helping. Now I try  to turn off FreeSync at my LG 27UK850-W.

Temporary conclusion

Before I bought Radeon VII, I use Nvidia GTX1060 (new) and AMD Vega 64 (secondhand), and they all work perfectly. Specially Vega64 have all same radeon setting and works fine, but not Radeon VII. That means this should be VGA card hardware or drivers issue, not caused by other prat of PC, that's why I want to go RMA directly when the new Radeon VII comes issue. Now, The return card also comes with same issue too. It seems be very rare to get another card with same problem, I'm not sure for that it's only caused by VGA. I think I will test following part:

• FreeSync off (testing)
  • Change from DP to HDMI
  • Change from 4K to 2K

If they all fail, I will try to use this Radeon VII at another PC for more testing. And than would be another RMA maybe...Orz.

1 Solution
constantinevi
Adept II

Finally, I can confirm that the BSOD is caused by FreeSync. I have test with monitor's FreeSync off for a week, no more BSOD happened after that. So it seems the driver for Radeon VII is still some problems.

If you hit BSOD issue randomly with code 0x000000EA / 0x00000116 when gaming, I hope this will help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
44 Replies

With the new driver update 19.5.2 (installed since a few days) the BSOD did not appear. I hope the issue is gone.

My joy was too early. Today in the morning I started my PC, loaded outlook to read my mails. Then I started the ubisoft launcher an  "bang" black screen (without BSOD) and automatic PC restart. This is not good.

I am in the first half year since buying this card and I think, I will  bring back the card to the seller and ask for refund or repair.

0 Likes

I suggest you try to install an older version of windows. I fixed my bsod

issues permanently with an windows 10 copy from 2017, ofcourse i disabled

windows update so it doesnt install new windows version. If you have

trouble finding an old windows 10 copy, i can provide it to you from my

google drive.

0 Likes

I have now installed the version 19.5.2 - jun03 version of the driver and will wait, what happen.

I wonder that the reset with 19.5.2 appears only once after about 10 or more days?

I cant explane myself this.

btw, my windows version is 1803 it is not the newest version.

0 Likes
strozzac
Journeyman III

Still having the same issue on RX570 with FreeSync turned on

0 Likes