cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Mjhenning
Journeyman III

RX 6800XT Second screen's video input dies randomly

I bought a RX 6800XT Merc 319 earlier last year, and since day one, I've had issues with my second monitor randomly going black at random intervals for about 2 seconds. I recently decided to look into the issue again because it started bothering me while I was coding. I bought a brand-new display cable about a week ago and tried it out, and it still kept cutting out. I double-checked if it wasn't possibly the screen just cutting out, but that was a bust. I've also been using a switch on the same screen (the switch is plugged into the HDMI port of the screen, unlike the monitor's display cable connection to the monitor). I tried playing around with free sync settings, framerates, and even display port versions on the main monitor, and none of these seemed to help solve the issue. I did see that when no motion is on the screen, the signal takes much longer to cut out (even though it still chooses random times) than when motion is on screen, such as a video playing or a game running on the screen. The other day I also tried playing a game on this second screen, and it cut out much more frequently than ever before, even causing artifacts instead of just cutting out. I also have a display tablet running off of the RX 6800XT's HDMI port that's mostly turned off, and it's never cut out before. My main screen also runs off of the display port, and it never cuts out. I've even tried swapping to a different display port for the second screen without any fixing.

Any help or even suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

3 Replies

Pardon me if I misunderstood anything, but I'd try using the cable directly without any switch or hub. I'd also try changing cables to see if it's a bad cable (also, maybe the current cable doesn't support the bandwidth you're trying to drive through it, e.g. HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4 vs DP 2.0, etc).

Another thing I'd check for is maybe check how you're powering your GPU. Do you have two separate power cables going into it, or are you using a single cable and daisy-chaining the connections on it? Two separate cables would be better. I doubt that's the issue but it would be worth looking into it. Also make sure your GPU is fully seated into the PCIe slot.

Last thing to try would be drivers. Use DDU to get rid of everything (AMD AND Nvidia) and then install the latest drivers.

If you still get issues after trying everything, then I wonder if there's an issue with the GPU itself. Hopefully not, though. Best of luck! I upvoted your post for visibility.

Edit: wording

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital
0 Likes
Mjhenning
Journeyman III

Thank you so much for you're reply, I'm sorry for not being very clear but when I said Switch I meant a Nintendo switch instead of a switch/hub, I also did check into changing the bandwidth but this didn't fix it either...

0 Likes

Oh I see, my bad!

How about the power connectors, and the drivers? Try making sure everything is plugged in properly and that the GPU has two separate power cables, and then uninstall the drivers with DDU and reinstall the latest ones. See if that fixes it.

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital
0 Likes