Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

danholbert
Adept I

PerfStudio Can't Pause App

Hi,

We are trying to use GPU PerfStudio 2.9.1043.0 to analyze the performance of our game. The only way to get any info appears to be through the use of the Pause button. However, this is not working for us. We can launch the game through the server executable and connect the client through port 80 just fine, but when hitting the Pause button, a dialog pops up and never goes away. It has the title "Capturing frame..." and text that says "Connecting...". Both myself and another programmer let this run for many minutes, and it never came back.

How can we figure out what the problem is? Is there any diagnostic information I can look at? My hunch is that it has something to do with network traffic being blocked (although it did connect successfully, as I stated).

Thanks,

Daniel Holbert

Sr Engine Programmer,

High Moon Studios

1 Solution
gselley
Adept I

Hi, thanks for the report. Open the client settings window and set the Time Spoofing method to "none" and retry. We see this issue in games that are use some kind of frame limiter.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
danholbert
Adept I

One thing I forgot to mention is that the program that I am trying to capture is rendering via DirectX 11, but DirectX 9 and OpenGL are "loaded" but not "active" in the dialog that pops up when I hit the Connect button.

0 Likes
gselley
Adept I

Hi, thanks for the report. Open the client settings window and set the Time Spoofing method to "none" and retry. We see this issue in games that are use some kind of frame limiter.

0 Likes

Thanks for the tip! By changing Time Spoofing to None, I was able to record a frame.

However....I am experiencing other issues which prevent me from getting any valid use out of the program.

1) When I Pause the game, my computer's performance tanks. It get 0-3 updates per second in any action I do. I can see the different UI elements of PerfStudio load in one at a time over solid half a minute whenever I click on a new draw call, tab, etc. This also causes PerfStudio to report that the game is CPU bound (taking upwards of 300 ms for a frame). This results in the all the draw calls listed on the timeline at the bottom of the Frame Debugger tab to be spread out with huge gaps in-between. These factors combined make it pretty much impossible to use the program, especially for checking performance bottlenecks.

I checked Process Explorer, and my CPU utilization was at only 2%, so it seems that the system is blocking on the GPU or something.

2) When attempting to use the Frame Profiler by hitting the Profile button (with all counters selected), I get this error:

ProfilingError.jpg

0 Likes

GPU PerfStudio 2.10.1129 was just released yesterday and it has fixes for the profiler and the latest graphics cards which should address the error you received above. http://developer.amd.com/tools/PerfStudio/Pages/default.aspx

Please give it a try and let us know if it does resolve the profiling error.

I think this is the first report we've gotten related to the computer performance while running PerfStudio, we will discuss it and get back to you.

Thanks for the update. I can now run a profile with all the performance counters enabled.

However, the performance is still bad and makes the tool relatively unusable.

0 Likes

Hi,

As for the performance tanking issue. Is the client window overlapping the applications render window?

0 Likes

No, the client window is not overlapping the application's window. The problem persists in the most recent version of PerfStudio.

0 Likes

Hi,

I am trying to use the GPU Perfstudio frame debugger on my OpenGL application. I see the OpenGL  in the API Trace saying it is loaded. However, OpenGL never becomes active. I can run the application outside of GPU Perfstudio and the graphics appear to work fine.

I tried changing the Time Spoofing to None and the outcome didn't change.

I am using Qt 4.8 which I suspect is part of the problem. When I run a similar application which uses the glut for creating the opengl context it becomes active and I can actually use the frame debugger.

My hardware is:

Radeon HD 5870 with Catalyst 12.6 AMD APP 2.7 (I use OpenCL in addition to OpenGL).

Using GPU PerfStudio  2.10.1129

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Likes