cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

guitarwiz1
Journeyman III

Wraith Cooler RGB Ring

I bought an FX 8350 that came with the Wraith Cooler.

I was surprised that it all lit up and thought it was pretty cool. I shut down my PC at the end of the day and turn it back on the next.

When I turned it back on I noticed that the RGB ring didn't come on but the AMD logo did. After searching for answers and finding none I decided to not worry about it.  

The other night my power went out and when I started my PC the next day the ring was working again. I shut down and started the next day and again the ring wasn't working. 

For an experiment...When I shut down for the evening I decided to cut the power off the PSU and sure enough it is working again.

Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

For reference my MOBO is a Gigabyte 990 FXA UD3 r5 

0 Likes
7 Replies

Which Wraith cooler do you have https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/cpu-cooler-solution

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

It's the one that came boxed with the FX 8350...I believe it's the MAX. 

0 Likes

According to AMD Bundled Processor this is the Wraith it comes with:

It is not the Max.

This is the wraith cooler review that comes with FX8350: AMD's Wraith Cooler Review | RelaxedTech 

0 Likes

Now that we got that sorted out...I still don't understand why the RGB ring doesn't come on when I restart my computer.

If I flick the switch on the PSU then start up it works fine. 

0 Likes

just guessing but it is either a motherboard (bad port) or cooler issue or even possibly a PSU (intermittant power).

Have you checked the cable from the Wraith to make sure the connector has no loose pins or any type of damage?

Why don't you try and open a AMD WARRANTY REQUEST from here: AMD Warranty Request Form | AMD 

Let them know what is happening and see if they believe it is a defective Wraith. They might send you a new Wraith under warranty if they believe it might be defective.

0 Likes

Everything checks out.

The AMD logo always lights up no matter what...It's just the ring having problems.

I know my motherboard supplies power to the usb ports when powered down, so I don't know it that effects it in anyway.

I don't think the product is defective since the fan is spinning which is all that really matters. 

It really is not that big of a deal...I wasn't expecting it to light up at all and was pleasantly surprised when it did. My PC sits under my desk and I never notice it unless I physically bend down to look at it. I just wanted to know if anyone else was having a similar issue and knew what the cause / fix was.

Thank you for the help and I'll keep the warranty request in mind.

0 Likes

I am in full agreement. As long as the CPU Cooler does its job and is working correctly then I would just ignore the LED lights which are just to make the CPU Cooler visually appeasing.

But some Users are in the mindset, that if they purchased a product then everything must work as advertised, no matter how insignificant the problem is, or they get upset.  Which is why I mentioned about AMD Warranty Request.

But it still is good suggestion to keep the Warranty link in case your Processor has any problems during the three years Warranty AMD gives to "Processors in a Box".

NOTE: I know that the Wratih CPU Cooler LEDs are controlled by Cooler Master LED software. Maybe you can find a setting there that might have a work around fix to the problem. Not sure if your Wraith uses Cooler Master LED software or not. I know it does for the Spire, Prism, & Max Coolers.

0 Likes