cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

cptluckystar
Adept II

Windows 10 update broken

About a year ago give or take I had a forced Windows 10 home update, it was a failed update I tried to revert back to previous version of Windows 10 and it said it couldn't do that,to avoid having to do a clean install, which is the only way I'm going to do that is just designate the current drive as storage drive and install a new drive with new Windows 10 All I want to do is a repair upgrade as they call it, but I can't and I'm not the only one who has had this problem.  I've lived with a crippled Windows system since than, when I  try to  run as admin on shortcuts it doesn't work and when I right click on the start up menu disk management nothing happens, and that's just the ones I can remember but there are other issues I've run sfc /scannow, DISM, tried the update tool, says it's up to date, media creation tool, ends with failed installation and clean boot from Win 10 install CD, which I could do a clean install but not upgrade due to the system installed being "newer" I've deleted and renamed the distro folders, didn't make any difference.  I've tried pretty much everything recommended all over the net, it was recommended to fix or rebuild the MBR, neither boorect or bootsect both in the Sys32 directry respond. , so unless someone can tell me what could be causing this and a fix I guess that's that and I will just have to install a new drive with a new system. Thanks for any help or suggestions, and please don't talk me into reinstalling clean I just can't do that right now.

0 Likes
18 Replies
rawintellect
Miniboss

Use Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v4.7.1 Released to repair windows update.

0 Likes

I  already tried that, downloaded it from the  Major Geeks link, ran it and it didn't fix it, maybe I did something wrong? Oh wait that was the registry permissions fix, no I haven't tried it, I'll give it a go and hopefully it will fix it, thanks 1 question, will this restore those features I spoke of and repair the update or will it get me to where I can run the update without it crashing with an error?

It restores windows update to it's factory settings.

0 Likes

So than there is no need to reinstall windows for upgrade repair I guess that's what they call it? The reason I asked is because I ran it and I still have those issues I mentioned.

0 Likes

cptluckystar wrote:

So than there is no need to reinstall windows for upgrade repair I guess that's what they call it? The reason I asked is because I ran it and I still have those issues I mentioned.

if needed you can reset windows and retain personnel files 

this step is used a lot when windows is badly mangled

0 Likes

You have a lot more going on than just windows updates failing. I'd say you're going to have to reset windows and keep your files as suggested. When you do this windows will create a http link on your desktop with all the aftermarket programs it's removed. Then you can go through that list and reinstall them.  Many times windows even provides a link to download the program again.

0 Likes

go to setting -> update and security and select troubleshoot and find fix windows update

0 Likes

Tried that all it says is it found no issues, go figure.

0 Likes

cptluckystar wrote:

Tried that all it says is it found no issues, go figure.

then let's start with checking that the BIOS is the latest version

I need full rig specs too

0 Likes

When you reset windows it doesn't give you any feedback about errors so I think you're mistaken. Resetting windows is accomplished in the recovery console. Honestly I think you need to google on how to do this. You're in an AMD driver forum asking about general windows assistance. 

0 Likes

Several of the leading people are expert enough to guide a person to find solutions

No need to be that cynical

0 Likes

I'm not being cynical. I'm being factual. Nothing I said was untrue.

0 Likes

To be clear we're not talking about system file checker or SFC /scannnow nor are we discussing DISM. We're talking about reinstalling windows entirely. If you select "Keep my files" while doing this it will not delete ANYTHING under C:\Windows\<user name>. You WILL have to reinstall any programs or games that didn't come with windows but you won't lose your game data as that's usually stored under C:\Windows\<user name>\. It's not as scary as it sounds. You won't lose any pictures or anything stored in \Documents either. Nor anything stored under \Downloads. All of that falls under C:\Windows\<user name>\.

0 Likes
rawintellect
Miniboss

Doing an in place install/repair would also work and he wouldn't lose any programs or settings.

0 Likes
rawintellect
Miniboss

Here is a video that gives you a step by step process to do an in place upgrade (reinstall) of windows without losing any apps or settings.

0 Likes
cptluckystar
Adept II

Thanks everyone for your replies, recently my issue got a lot worse, BSODs up the wazzoo, bios issues I can't put my finger on it , I tried everything but refreshing, I did and in place upgrade but it make matters worse so I uninstalled it.  I'm intent on getting a new ssd drive and doing a clean windows install.

0 Likes

cptluckystar wrote:

Thanks everyone for your replies, recently my issue got a lot worse, BSODs up the wazzoo, bios issues I can't put my finger on it , I tried everything but refreshing, I did and in place upgrade but it make matters worse so I uninstalled it.  I'm intent on getting a new ssd drive and doing a clean windows install.

a new SSD will at least improve performance

0 Likes
widdmann
Adept I

u shouldnt do windows updates on slow computers.if updates arent working on fast pc, then try to restart update service in task manager (search in google for process name)