cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Windows 10 Creator's Update To Force "Critical" Updates Over Metered Connections

Windows 10 | A new description indicates even metered connections will see some updates downloaded |...

http://winsupersite.com/site-files/winsupersite.com/files/uploads/2017/01/10/windowsupdateometeredconnectionsw10cu.PNG

At this rate I'm never going to move off of Windows 7...Funny how Microsoft thinks that an OS, which is running smoothly, is required to have patches, which may cause BSODs and other undesired operation. Maybe by the time Ryzen 2 rolls around there will have been a supreme court decision declaring a software company cannot require updates to be downloaded and this garbage will stop.

7 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update To Force "Critical" Updates Over Metered Connections

I have friends that use that setting...and I am sure they are not going to like this. If it was truly a metered connection, and you had to pay for the download that you may or may not want? 'Sumtin willy wong.

Re: Windows 10 Creator's Update To Force "Critical" Updates Over Metered Connections

Yup, though some think it's because they're also changing it so you can set wired connections as metered, but Microsoft needs to realize that not everyone, especially in the USA, has unlimited internet. Heck, remember back when they were "predownloading" Windows 10 to machines, there was this story Forced Windows 10 Upgrade Shuts Down PC Used by Anti-Poaching Rangers in Africa now even organizations like that won't be able to stop this, unless they get Windows 10 Enterprise, and that comes with a monthly fee!

ibanggpu
Adept III

Microsoft is a king, a tyrant that preys on peasents(like me) and is trying to defeat the enlightened, and high functioning rebels(AMD and Black-Zion) Thank you amd for protecting me!

0 Kudos
ambrose
Challenger

Hello,

I agree, My Windows 7 is absolutely a pleasure to use, it has it's hiccups ( Nothing Serious ) but for some reason this last batch of updates ( That's my belief ) has given me a Blue Screen boggle for some reason. So I contacted Microsoft, Online Chat ( For what Good it May Have Done ) and told them to please let those Bone-Heads at Microsoft know and to stop putting out updates that break my good working computer.

I urge people to do the same, we are so quick to get on our related Graphics Card Forum to complain, so why not get on M$ back for a while.

Regards, Ambrose

giphy.gif

Because to most people, it's not the software developer's problem, or another piece of hardware, it's always AMDs or nVidias, even though sometimes it is...

Image result for nvidia gpu fire

goodplay
MVP

What gets me, is all the insider preview users not voicing their opinions/recommendations to M$..

Are they just freeloaders,(yay, i can use this without committing), and letting the minority do the dirty work.

Saw a post recently from someone refusing to upgrade from build 10246 (no longer supported, expecting help), slightly off topic, but perhaps we should be also asking for build # when trying to offer assistance.

I have Pro vers., so nearly all M$ tracking/forced updates/keylogging, etc... , can be subverted.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
0 Kudos

I wonder if setting up a Linux virtual machine as a firewall and blocking all connections to Microsoft IPs would work better than going through and blocking each item individually, knowing that Microsoft can at any time reactivate them or remove the ability to turn them off. For updates you could allow just the IP to the Windows Update server, which should be different from the data collection services.

0 Kudos