cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

suggestausername
Journeyman III

Will this laptop be able to fulfil my requirements ?

I was looking at models from companies like Asus, HP and Dell with the following configuration :

Ryzen 5 3500/3450/2500 with Vega 8 Graphics and 8 GB ram, 512gb ssd.

I wanted to know if a laptop with such configuration be able to run games like CSGO, PUBG Mobile Emulator, PUBG PC Lite, Minecraft, Fortnite, GTA 5 etc and Record them With OBS ? I may also have discord running in the background.

I am asking this question because right now I have Intel i3 5th Gen with Intel integrated graphics 5500,8 GB Ram which is very less as compared to Vega 8. But with this configuration, I am able to record CSGO with Discord running at 720p30 with minor frame drops.

And considering that Vega 8 has a hugely insane score when compared to Intel Intergrated, would it be able to fulfil my requirements ?

If not, can you suggest any Laptops available in India with AMD Graphics because as I can see, the NVIDIA ones are very expensive and my budget is 55000 INR

0 Likes
21 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

I'm from the USA, so not familiar with offerings in India or the currency difference to us. However, briefly looking at specs for the 3450 vs. an i5, you're in good shape CPU wise. The 3500 is a Chinese chip, I believe and we have no support on those, it would probably work ok. Graphics wise, the Vega 8 can do CSGO at 61-70 FPS according to UserBench comparisons. They do list a 3500x, which is the top dog. 

So the answer is , yes any of those except the 2500 will be a huge improvement over an i3 anything. Those apps aren't a factor when using any of the chips you mention. They would all do the job. But for the best experience from what I got specs for, it's the 3450 chip for the middle or 3500 for the high end. The 2500 only had comparisons to the 620 intel GPU and it was basically a draw in CPU/GPU performance.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

0 Likes

That would work if you want to be there all day. He wants to know if that hardware config would work with what he's been using, which is older stuff. I did the "leg" work of comparing 3 CPU's to 3 newer 13's because you can't compare anything like a Ryzen 3500, 3450, or 2500 to his 5th gen i3. It's simply too old. UserBench had comparisons for at least one specific game they test, that he mentioned, CSGO. Sometimes less is more.

0 Likes

I can tell you that 8gb system memory will not be enough for GTAV. You need about 12 for it to not suffer from constant stutters. 

CSGO would likely run okay. I can't speak to the others. 

Woops, he's right there! Make sure you can upgrade the RAM to 16GB on whatever laptop you pick! Some have soldered RAM and no expansion, beware.

0 Likes

You can enter the exact specs you are interested here:
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/my-computer-details

Stay on that page and then select or search for the game and it will tell you if you can run it.

End of.

0 Likes

OP would need to go through 3 laptop configs and several games. He got a quick answer. Any of the laptops he's looking at will work but to play most of those games, he needs more than 8GB RAM. So @pokester  said "12GB RAM" advisable, I advised he makes sure that any laptop he choses has the ability to buy extra RAM to install. Some you can't add more.

OP is asking which laptop is best for his needs, that depends on his wallet and if the laptop can have more than 8GB RAM installed. "Can I Run it" is a fine site, but it gives general info, nothing specific to the models he's looking at.

If OP wants to go to that site and enter the specs of each laptop in there, he will spend more time than buying what he can afford that has the desired Vega 8 graphics with upgradable RAM. Any of the CPU's in his pick with the Vega 8 and more than 8GB RAM will run his games relatively smooth. At 8GB he may have some stuttering going on.

0 Likes

I don't think OP is trying to run these on "max" settings so they will run CPU wise. RAM, yes more than 8GB would be best. I suggested to make sure the laptop OP chooses has the ability to upgrade the RAM. Vega 8 shouldn't be an issue given what OP was using. UserBench mentioned CSGO,PUBG in their comparisons of all those CPU's vs. a newer i3. OP has an older 5th Gen i3, no comparison to what OP lists.

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

i own a Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42

Ryzen 5 2500U
Radeon RX560X
16GB DDR4-2400CL16 (2x 8GB)
60hz IPS (oced to 100hz with FreeSync)

here i can game CSGO in 1440x1080 with 150-250fps (depending on map)

if i want to stream (OBS) i would do it this way:
AMD AMF = H264/AVC Encoder (AMD Advanced Media Framework)
CBR 1080p50@12000kbps (for YouTube; 6000kbps for twitch.tv) + 3000kb Buffer (1500kb twitch.tv) 
"Balanced" "Main" "4.2" "CABAC"
Pre-Pass Mode "enabled"
VBAQ "enabled"

now the important part: "Video Adapter" : APU iGPU (not the RX560X)

this will allow you to stream your Games and play them pretty well for a 650€ Laptop

if you want i can set it up next week and send you a test-stream ;)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

Well there's an answer you can't beat! This dude has one of said laptops and can verify it's performance.

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 so he already owns one?

mh, iGPU of APU is pretty good - but in comparision to a decent dGPU on Laptops its not that good anymore.

i dont think he can play AND stream with it - but there are options out there
like Ryzen 5 3550H + 1650ti + 16GB DDR4-2666CL16

there he could do the same as i said - and still only pay around 800usd

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

@benman2785 I was referring to you. I believe your CPU/APU is the same as the lowest one OP is looking at? RAM is his shortcoming. Out of his list, I thought if he had the money and RAM is upgradable, that the one with the 3500 would be able to do everything he wants or the mid-range one. 

0 Likes

I recommend for you use Linux and avoid windows. Linux use much less RAM than windows and is extremely more fat to read files. Steam is compatible with Linux.

Have Linux distros more easy to configure than windows. You can try Lubuntu.

The configuration is good, but the machine need have free memory slots.

About machine you need search if today ASUS, HP and others companies are having problems with BGA. Avoid machines that can create easliy problems in BGA mainly in notebook because is the more terrible problem for notebooks.

0 Likes

Steam may work but what about the OP's games? They're made for Windows OS.

0 Likes

I have used Lubuntu graphics drivers installed and the system use less of 512 MB. I only had installed the graphics drivers because all drivers are already in system.

You can use cache files utilities for speed starting games and having less RAM usage the cache can be very big.

In Linux has WINE for run windows programs. WINE not is an emulator.

WINE add DLLs and system files for compatibility with windows programs and mainly games.

An bit funny ... I have an emulator in windows and had run in Linux using WINE and the emulator run more fast than in windows :-)

AMD FX and Ryzen cpus run better in Linux. See videos in youtube comparing perfomance.

You need test about it and see if is good for you.

linux is not for gamers and afaik there is no OBS on linux...

yes some games work in linux - some are even native - but not all games...

also yes - linux makes best use of hardware

0 Likes

Running Windows games on Steam: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/steam-for-linux-introducing-a-new-version-of-steam-...

I was involved in testing Steam Play Beta for Linux years ago. 
It works fine for AMD Discrete GPU that I tested on PC. Laptop APU may be a different story. 

If you read the thread above, I tested lots of games and I have links to the videos with test results to prove it. 

OBS for Linux: 
https://obsproject.com/wiki/install-instructions#linux

Only problem running AMD GPU for Linux I see is AMD still have no GUI/UI for linux. Not even in Ubuntu. 
You cannot easily control your GPU fans, power, OC etc. 
You have to compile your own "open Source" solution. 

Sounds like there's still much work to be done for Linux to be a real choice for gamers. My issue with all versions is it seems very insecure, like a firewall is meaningless, looking at the processes running it seems like anyone can use resources off the PC without consent. A million "TTY" entries, and other things seem to make it a hacker's paradise. I don't know a lot about Linux in general but it won't let you in certain areas even as "root". One seems to "share" resources with "anonymous" users, how does that work without getting your IP or machine ID exposed?

You can or someone else can place a small fileless file in your BIOS and it will run a Unix shell behind Windows, a "back door". You or a hacker could place a similar "bootkit" in the UEFI and boot a full kernel into a RAMDisk, without an HDD.  Its "open source" seems just a bit too open for me. Then if you do that, it can mess up your UEFI to the point of needing "Refind" to try and fix the boot order or remove network drivers embedded on the SPI. I had to replace a board due to a person breaking in and using a USB drive to plant a malicious network driver into the UEFI and a "bootkit". NSA type crap. Took me months before I realized what happened. Basically for those months this local "group" was able to see every web page I visited, access the security cameras in 140 stores, follow my finances, monitor my movements and more. IC3 has that case now. I don't care if no one believes it happened, it did or the Feds wouldn't be looking at it. 

Yes, Windows basically came from Linux and even incorporates quite a bit into Windows 10. You can turn on the "subsystem for Linux" and run Linux apps on Windows. Ever since Bill Gates got out of Windows it's been snuggling closer to Linux and it's various distro's. The more they do, the buggier Windows gets. They want Windows to work with IOT and everything in between. Some things are better left as is until we figure out how to secure all of the "smart" stuff. There's a reason "Black Hat" is a bunch of Linux guys. It's a great debugger but in the wrong hands it's a cyber weapon. 

0 Likes

its now offtopic:

Linux is way more secure than any Windows version...
if you cant access something as root - do it as gksu :p

on topic:

maybe the author should wait until there are 6C/12T Ryzen 5000 Mobile with RX6600M GPUs (maybe i buy a new laptop than too)

0 Likes

:)

0 Likes
alexwi
Novice I

Hi.!

You are absolutely right that your Intel processor is is very less as compared to ryzen 5/7/9. I think your budget is around 40k-45k. So you can go for ryzen 5 3500 with 8GB ram and 512 SSD. Sometimes it will be 256GB SSD and 1 TB hard drive. You can get this specification within this range. You can also play csgo, pubg, FIFA 21, and other high graphics games. Also, you can use your device for professional that higher-level coding, graphic design. I am working in a web development company where I am using ryzen 5 3500 with 8GB ram and 1TB hard drive + 256GB SSD for graphic designing. One important part is the ryzen processor is basically APU, which is CPU + GPU and Intel is just a CPU. Sometimes I play FIFA 20 in high resolution (720p), the frame rate is great and the game runs smoothly. You can go for this specification and I am suggesting the HP brand.

0 Likes