cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Why is it taking so long to get a fix for driver instability >17.7.1?

Personally, I only really play overwatch much at the moment, but I've noticed that essentially everyone playing overwatch with amd/ati cards is currently stuck on 17.7.1 because anything newer crashes.

Recently windows silently decided to upgrade my gpu drivers again and I was suddently getting bluescreens every few minutes in overwatch and sometimes just doing normal things like watching videos in chrome.

I sincerely don't understand why the driver codebase can't simply be reverted for now until the issues are actually fixed. This scenario is so frustrating that it's now unlikely I'll even consider AMD for my next video card nevermind cpu...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Why is it taking so long to get a fix for driver instability >17.7.1?

You don't mention...but I guess you chose the wonderful Win10 to run your computer on. Shame that you haven't read anything about preventing (delaying) Microsoft's wrecking your life:

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

4. Delete the contents of the C:/AMD folder of all previous drivers

5. Win10 users..take the necessary steps to prevent/delay Microsoft automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one of these methods > Windows 10 Forums

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I don't think you understand this particular problem at all... It's a well known fact that every driver version after 17.7.1 causes massive system instability with Overwatch. Recently the newest driver versions have even caused general instability throughout windows.

For example: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758376567

With 17.7.2 Overwatch crashes constantly

and

Experiencing constant crashes on AMD 17.7.2? - Overwatch Forums

Driver cleanup is not helpful here at all. To make it work at all we all have to revert to driver version 17.7.1 and by default windows silently upgrades back to an unstable driver version again whenever it receives a new version. There's a really easy fix here. They could have simply reverted code back to 17.7.1 and released a new driver version when they first had issues with 17.7.2. Instead they simply persist in continuing to make it worse.

It's a shame that you simply regurgitate useless information...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Is English your preferred language. Did you not read how to stop Microsoft from changing drivers? You realize that it is Microsoft (Win10) doing that and AMD (or Nvidia) have no control over it? It doesn't matter what brand you use, Microsoft will install the latest WHQL driver it has...this is bad when you are using a 'hotfix' driver. Take the necessary steps to prevent (delay) that.

0 Kudos