cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Why doesn't AMD Crimson doesn't have a custom gpu fan curve option? I've experienced issues with my Sapphire R9 270X dual x OC Boost (NOT OVERCLOCKED) and temperatures up untill the card forced shut down to prevent damage to it. This is unacceptable AMD.

Why doesn't AMD Crimson doesn't have a custom gpu fan curve option? I've experienced issues with my Sapphire R9 270X dual x OC Boost (NOT OVERCLOCKED) and temperatures up untill the card forced shut down to prevent damage to it. This is unacceptable AMD.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Why doesn't AMD Crimson doesn't have a custom gpu fan curve option? I've experienced issues with my Sapphire R9 270X dual x OC Boost (NOT OVERCLOCKED) and temperatures up untill the card forced shut down to prevent damage to it. This is unacceptable A

Because programs such as MSI Afterburner already have such functionality, although the 270X should not be reaching 100°C unless it is clogged with dust, it is not receiving enough power,  or the fan isn't spinning at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Why doesn't AMD Crimson doesn't have a custom gpu fan curve option? I've experienced issues with my Sapphire R9 270X dual x OC Boost (NOT OVERCLOCKED) and temperatures up untill the card forced shut down to prevent damage to it. This is unacceptable A

That's not the point or the answer. Nobody should have to be relying on MSI Afterburner just to make a simple fan curve. it's something Crimson should come with. There is a dedicated thread in the Drivers and Software section asking what features we'd like to see and I've mentioned this very thing about not being able to make a fan curve.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

It would be nice to have sure, I've even requested it in the past, the problem is that you have many users with absolutely zero technical knowledge and zero interest in learning about it, and they just want it to work, and these are the people who do not by any stretch of the imagination need the ability to lock the fan speed at 30%, they'd be all over every forum pitching a fit about their GPU crashing. You also have a lot of cards in machines by Dell or another OEM who really don't want users to be able to fiddle around with anything, and it's different with aftermarket programs, but with functionality provided by AMD, they'd have to deal with it, or block AMD's issued drivers from working and modify them, which they're not going to do.

Either way, Crimson's successor (Ruby, Garnet, whatever shade of red they will call it) should launch next month, and considering the leap they made from Catalyst to Crimson in terms of functionality, there is a possibility there will be a custom fan speed option instead of the fairly useless Target GPU Temperature, as they said major changes would be implemented on each yearly release, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Crimson's successor next month?? I didn't know about that so thanks for the heads-up on that one. I hope it'll be worth the wait.

0 Kudos