cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

kingfish
MVP

Why Bethesda nixed early reviews — Dishonored 2 has significant problems on PCs

Just before Bethesda re-released Skyrim: Buggy Pretty Version, the company announced a new change to its review program — and by “new change,” we mean “a cowardly attempt to avoid being buried by complaints that might jeopardize sales.” Bethesda argued it wanted everyone in the game industry to “experience [its] games at the same time,” which is a ridiculous rationale with which to justify not telling people whether a single-player game is amazing before they can purchase it themselves. It does, however, make perfect sense if you don’t want people to cancel preorders for a title that lands with the grace of a dead norwhale flung out of a C-130 at 15,000 feet.

That’s the situation we find ourselves in with Dishonored 2, a game that’s being praised for its mechanics, its gameplay, and its story — on consoles. On PCs, frame rate stutters, crashes, and other problems are killing gamer opinion. Reviewers who have the console version have praised it to the heavens, while reviewers with the PC version have been reporting dropped frame rates to the point that it’s making some people seasick, even on advanced rigs. Pascal GPUs like the GTX 1080 can’t hold a stable frame rate, even with detail levels set to medium at 1920×1080, while reviewers with AMD solutions are reporting feeling seasick if they increase detail levels above Medium, even with GPUs like the R9 Nano.

Now we know why Bethesda nixed early reviews - Dishonored 2 has significant problems on PCs - Extrem...

0 Likes
5 Replies
savagebeastzero
Miniboss

Re: Why Bethesda nixed early reviews — Dishonored 2 has significant problems on PCs

Hey kingfish,

I think this sums it all up quite nicely....

Todd Howard Meme.png

Re: Why Bethesda nixed early reviews — Dishonored 2 has significant problems on PCs

That should read: What? Oh the game's aren't finished yet, huh? No worries...We've 10,000 preorders at $60 each, now we can afford bug testing."

qwixt
Forerunner

Bethesda has never had a good rep with me due to their bug ridden early games like Arena, which couldn't run more than a minute or two. I really liked Daggerfall even though it crashed quite often.

The biggest warning sign to me is no independent pre-release PC gameplay videos on youtube.

bearcat22
Challenger

I don't understand why people pre-order games. Sure you might get it for $10 cheaper but if the game doesn't work properly than you've wasted $60. Not saved $10.

0 Likes

Same reason people will literally camp out for days to be one of the first people to buy a new model iPhone, because they're stupid and they have to be the first in their group to have it.

0 Likes