cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

blackmaninc
Adept II

When will they release a GPU that contends with the RTX 2080TI?

I'm done with spending my money on anything less than the highest end components I can get. Is there going to be an RX 5800/5900 anytime soon? They need to give me a legitimate reason to switch over to their new motherboards. I'm planning on buying a brand new computer for heavens sake. AMD is not making this an easy decision to make.

0 Likes
8 Replies

This website mentions that AMD is working on two future NAVI 21 & 23 GPU models in which the Navi 23 will take on Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU cards and will lauch sometime in 2020: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3080398/amd-navi-23-leak-nvidia-killer-ray-tracing-2020 

This website also says something similar: Navi 20 Series is Known Internally As 'The Nvidia Killer' | EXCLUSIVE RedGamingTech 

0 Likes

"Nvidia Killer" reminds me of how the Vega 64 was pushed as the "Titan Killer" just before it was released. Wash, rinse and repeat.

0 Likes

Don't forget that AMD has shown they aren't interested in giving people a reason to switch to AMD. Despite being slower and more power hungry than the 2070 Super, the price difference between the two can be as little as $30. Plus, don't forget that despite being released July 7th, they just a week ago, September 23rd, released their first WHQL drivers for them.

0 Likes

The articles does stress that the term "Nvidia Killer" is pretty vague. The article mentions that term may not mean raw power performance compared to the RTX 2080ti entirely,  but also might mean "Performance Vs Price".

I guess the article meant that the AMD GPU will be "Cheaper" than the Nvidia GPU card with similar performance and power.

0 Likes

Pretty much every AMD GPU is an NVidia seller, "Here's another reason to buy NVidia". When it comes to GPUs, the rumors always fall well short of the reality. Now sprinkle their hardware with a liberal topping of incompetent driver software.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

There likely won't be anything in the 2080 Ti tier until 2020, and I'm doubtful that they will launch in Q1.  And of course, you have to consider that by the time AMD launches RDNA2, NVidia will themselves be launching Ampere to replace Turing.

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

Probably not any time soon. When it does release, you can expect a multitude of issues, and 6-12 months after release until it becomes decent. If history is any judge, it will be factory overvolted and overclocked where you will be wondering how to undervolt it to get decent performance.

By that time, you will be asking when will AMD release something that contends with the 3080TI.

The question is what will nVidia's successor to the 2080Ti be like? With all the hoopla over the 2080Ti (and it's INSANE COST), it's not -that- much faster than the 1080 Ti it replaced. Yes it's 28% faster, but it costs upwards and in excess of $1900, while the much more "affordable" RTX 2080 (still around the $700 mark) is hardly any faster than the 1080 Ti. If nVidia's next offerings are mainly a minor bump up in performance, AMD's Navi based power hungry monsters next year will still be able to keep pace.

Image1

0 Likes