Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

What PSU Do You Use With a Your System?

Hello Everyone,

Seeing how there seems to be a lot of users now with windows 10 and Some pretty nice cards, 4 and 8 GB, I have a question which comes from my home theater use.

Do the people that use these 4 and 8 GB cards have a better then average PSU to run their card(s), Monitors, Free Sync, VSR, and VR, etc.? Not to mention different cooling options for the CPU and GPU as well. And do these same people/users Run their system with a Power conditioner in their setup. It would seem to me like a good thing to do, seeing that most household power doesn't come into the house as steady and clean as they might think, there are other things in your residence that uses power, and at the same time your computing as well.

I would think in these setups, your average PSU is just not going to serve the purpose nor just plugging into your wall as you would an average computer these days. And we all know computers are not as average now as they once were.

Cheers Ambrose.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: What PSU Do You Use With a Your System?

As far as my computer goes, I use a SeaSonic X750, and on both my computer as well as my entertainment setup I use CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD R UPSs. At the time I can't afford the new SeaSonic Prime Titanium units after spending a grand on my Ryzen setup. Line Interactive UPSs (which mine are) are necessary these days to prevent momentary drops, droops, and spikes, but they also add an extra layer of protection in the event of a PSU failure. A few years back I had a supply side failure in my PSU, which caused it to attempt to draw as much power as it could. This tripped the over current protection in the UPS and prevented any damage to my components. I was able to remove the PSU and attach it to the wall on its own so it could literally blow up safely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

I've seen the issues over the years with brown-outs and countless of insurance claim cases come through our shops, so I installed 3-phase 30amp panel mounted SPDs (Surge Protective Devices). Every room has a dedicated circuit for PCs which are protected; if for reason a PC had to be plugged in an unprotected circuit, I use CyberPower UPCs in particular that model black_zion mentioned and this one CP1500PFCLCD  (Pure Sine Wave UPS) for a clean supply. On most of my PCs I'll run anything from 750W and up using "Platinum" or "Titanium" level PSUs just to help with efficiency and to make easier on the UPS' and SPDs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

if it helps ive used this on many pc's for years, lightning strikes and all. it works no problem.. 

APC Professional SurgeArrest, 8 outlet, 2 pairs phone line protection - APC - United States

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

you should get a psu that dosent use more than 60-70% of the rated power constantly and a psu that runs two 12v rails not just 1. i use a evga supernova 1300 watt G2 . but a 850+ should be ok unless you run 2 graphic cards. i always recommend 1000 watts regardless with a good surge protector i posted above.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

This is not 2005, multiple rail PSUs are neither required nor necessary, and quality OEMs do not use them, even at the >1kW level, because they use top quality digital circuitry which allows for safe power delivery at those high levels, as well as digital switching boards which allow for near 100% 12v supply capability by stepping down 12v to 5v and 3.3v as required. Inferior power supplies use multiple 12v rails, cannot provide >98% rated wattage at 12v, and quite often combine all rail's rated wattage into the rating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

yea i made sure mine wasnt combined. dont want to spend 200$ i think 150$ is plenty..i would have to get my book out for details its been a while. i got mine like 8 months ago. not sure r&d date ..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

wow price went way up 350$ jeeez...

EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 120-G2-1300-XR 80+ GOLD 1300W Fully Modular Includes FREE Power On Self Teste...

i cant remember what i spent i just got it.. lol heh

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Be very concerned with so many replies based in virtually no electrical knowledge.

For example, most every computer consumes less than 350 watts.  But since most computer assemblers have no idea what numbers are relevant, then we tell then to buy a 500 watt supply for a 250 watt computer.  Then help lines are not clogged teaching computer assemblers how electricity works.

Worse recommendation is a 1300 watt supply.  That only means safety features (so that the supply does not damage other parts) is compromised.

To make surge damage easier, then get that ineffective, high profit APC protector.  Faciltiies that cannot have damage will never use that.

Also bogus is the power supply tester.  It can never say a PSU is good.  It does not identify the most problematic defects.  But popular among many who only recite what others have told them to believe.

Your computer never gets so hot as to also toast bread.  Therefore a 500 watt supply is just fine for most every computer.  The informed never use watts to select a PSU.  Those more than sufficient 300 watt supplies in manufacturer provided system (designed by engineers) only view amps for each voltage.

0 Kudos