cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Waiting For Radeon FidelityFX Super Resolution? Use THIS Today!

So Saphire has added an interesting feature to boost that may help you gains some frames without noticing trade off by much. 

Interesting a 3rd party is offering this and it should work on any AMD cards. 

-----

WccftechTV

While we wait for AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution to hit the streets we see what kind of performance gains we can get from using Sapphire Trixx Boost with the Nitro+ RX 6800 XT with Trixx Boost enabled at 1440p with Ray Tracing titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slpeCRvzNmc

0 Likes
10 Replies

They have had Trixx Boost for ages now - since some time in 2019 for Navi GPUs. 
It is not new. 
Same as resolution downscaling in game and then turning on Radeon Image Sharpening to convince yourself you play at same resolution and get higher FPS. This technique was what was used to compare to DLSS 1.0 on Nvidia RTX2000 series GPUs when DLSS still had problems. 

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/dominic-moass/sapphire-trixx-boost-analysed-dlss-killer/

0 Likes

Well based on the tons of people saying they had never heard of it on the video replies I figured I was in the majority that have never heard of it, and most games don't have that feature. So always great to have options. 

0 Likes

Yes sure. 

A couple of things about it though. 

1. Last time I tried it, it would not install at all unless it detected a Sapphire GPU on the system. 

That might have changed. 
I have not bothered to install it since I tried it out first. 
Some people say it works on their non-Sapphire based GPU. 

2. It messed up Radeon Overlay completely.  

0 Likes

Just tried Sapphire Trixx 8.0. 
You can download it from here: 
https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/software

I tried it on system with 
Primary PowerColor RX5700XT
Pair of XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid. 
PowerColor RX Vega 56. 
XFX R9 390X
Sapphire Radeon Pro DUO. 

It shows the dashboard for the R9 390X. 
It shows the hardware monitor for the R9 390X. 

That's it. 

Nothing else. 
No Trix Boost. 
Useless. 

Will see if disabling those GPU makes any difference. 

0 Likes

No use. 
It looks like Sapphire removed support for mor than one GPU on your system.
Even Trixx version 6.8 which allows overclocking only sees the RX390 whatever I do. 

I am not removing my GPUs just to see if I can get that Trixx Boost feature, which I can do by resolution downscaling or just setting a lower resolution in the first place and turning on RIS.

0 Likes
Kanoun
Adept I

Is fidelityfx Super Resolution coming or it's a fake news to make people buy amd cards?????

0 Likes

FidelityFX Super Resolution is the Community given name for AMD's "Answer to DLSS"., in reality this feature is currently part of the FidelityFX CAS (Contrast Adaptive Sharpening) Effect.

FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening Example 

The current Pre-Built Example, showcases (using AMD's Cauldron Engine) the current state of the CAS Up-Sampling Quality, not just in Real-Time but also with some simple options and performance metrics.

It will run on GCN 1.0 or better, but will get some performance improvements from enabling Rapid Packed Math support on GCN 5th Gen (Vega) or better.

I'd argue in terms of Quality and Performance, it's actually an extremely good solution; now what I think most people mean when they're talking about "FidelityFX Super Resolution" is that AMD have stated that ideally they would like to make this feature something you can simply Enable / Disable in the Radeon Settings.

As it stands it's limited to what Developers chose to implement., so support isn't currently widespread.
Still keep in mind that Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5 both do support it as an "Out of the Box" Option... so we should see it more widely adopted going forward.

Now what makes it different from DLSS, is actually as a Developer you have MUCH more control and versatility over it.
That is to say... while the Sample showcases how to use it akin to DLSS., as a Developer you can use it on ANY Stage in the Pipeline; it doesn't have to be used on the Final Render Output... on top of this you're also not limited to just 720p / 1080p / 1440p / etc. Resolutions., but said Resolutions are ENTIRELY Programmable. 

The issue as noted isn't that this technology isn't Ready or is Unavailable... the issue is more with Adoption. 
Remember NVIDIA and DLSS have essentially a 2 year head start on AMD in terms of Adoption; even then the number of DLSS Titles isn't exactly "Big" right now., and AMD is quickly catching up with FidelityFX CAS Supported Titles.

Now how many of them support the Upscaling Feature, eh... I'm not sure. 
Remember that the Upscaling Feature is essentially for overall performance gains, where-as the Sharpening is arguably as useful for providing "High Resolution" Textures; without actually needing to create UHD Textures that would use much more VRAM and cost much more in terms of Pixel Throughput processing and making Shaders more demanding.

How it's used is always going to provide a clear benefit, visually and performantly. 

0 Likes

FidelityFX Super Resolution is AMD's terminology.  The name does not come from the community, and Super Resolution is not CAS.

What it actually is, we don't know yet.  AMD hasn't said, though they've hinted that it will be broadly usable without special integration, which would mean it's not ML-based like DLSS, and won't suffer from the same problems (fake information, bad guesses, and temporal artifacts).

Contrast Adaptive Sharpening is something entirely different.

0 Likes
Kanoun
Adept I

AMD disappointed its fans for not launching the implementation Fidelityfx Super Resolution it had promised since its graphic cards were launched.

0 Likes