General Discussions

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Re: UNIGINE Superposition Benchmark - Post your results

Radeon VII results posted.

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_6145_1554760245.png

0 Likes

Thought I'd add some new scores to the mix with my new RTX 2070 Super. Top row is at PCIe 3.0 x16, bottom row is PCIe 3.0 x8, no difference between them. Though it does show it is over twice as fast as my old Fury Nano...

0 Likes

Slight bit of overclocking. Would like to see a 5700XT's result.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

1080P Extreme: without Asus Tweak II Installed

4K Optimized: Without Asus Tweak II installed

1080p Extreme with Asus Tweak II installed and manual Profile (100% fans speed):

4K Optimized with Asus Tweak II installed (100% Fan speed):

0 Likes

When ya going to upgrade to a Ryzen system? Or are you waiting for DDR5 and PCIe 5.0? Latest projections based on Samsung say that's not going to be widely available until 2022.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Good question.

As soon as I have a major hardware failure on the Motherboard or possibly on the CPU.

I have been using an Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard for several years now without any issues. But I imagine eventually it will become defective.  That is when I am planning on upgrading to a AMD Ryzen computer setup.

But I have several PCIe cards and one PCI slot card installed and most of today's newer Motherboard doesn't have that many PCIe slots as my Asus Motherboard.

This is how many PCIe/PCI slots my motherboard has:

0 Likes

Aye, before this I had the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2 with PCIe 3.0, but the 50% IPC jump between the 8350 and the 1800X was just too much to not take the jump to. The reduction in PCIe slots isn't really a big deal with WiFi getting integrated into AMD boards and the number of M.2 slots increasing. I hope ASUS follows this kind of format with their X670 series boards, having 3 M.2 slots and 3 PCIe 3.0/4.0 slots

pokester
MVP

RTX 2060. No 4k on this machine so only did the 1080p extreme. I'll post the results from my Ryzen and 2070 super later.

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_4897_1585183008.png

Default Settings

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_5058_1585183578.png

100% Fan Curve

Now as a note... this is hardly an "Ideal" CPU and Motherboard for the RX 5700 XT., and frankly this is Reference Model with a Blower Cooler., I'm NOT going to run it with 100% Fan. 

That aside., it's perhaps best not to get too hung up on comparing between Graphics Cards in Unigine 2.

I don't exactly have a "Good" Rig for running DirectX 11.2 Optimally... Ryzen 1st Gen does have a bit of a bottleneck.

Something that tends to disappear with Vulkan and DirectX 12 titles. 

As such, I'd say look more at the difference between Default & Max Fan Curves for said individual cards.

In said case... really the RX 5700 XT (Reference) is basically barely seeing any real improvement if you look at the Min-Avg-Max.

Really the main difference is that it's actually staying Avg. for longer periods, but as the Jitter is about the same; in terms of Gaming, well the experience overall would remain quite stable. 

As I said, the gain frankly isn't worth the extra noise 52dB Vs. 38dB or Power Consumption... it actually jumps from 180 - 192w to 215w. 

4K Optimised

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_6947_1585186851.png

Overclock Runs (2104MHz)

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_5138_1585187592.png

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_7232_1585187362.png

As it doesn't seem to want to show the temps (probably due to the Drivers or something) ... it's running at 34 - 78c during the runs. 

It doesn't really go above 78c, and for later runs I decided to just "Allow" Up To 100%., which means if it goes above 75c it'll ramp up to that... but it never really went above 58% Fan Speed.

That it's getting similar to an RTX 2060 SUPER / RTX 2070 ... isn't too surprising here. 

Would probably be different in a different test... but I think they're quite well tuned "Out-of-the-Box"

You know, provided the Drivers play nice and don't randomly crash. That seems to happen A LOT when watching Videos in Fullscreen.

0 Likes

I never put any real stock into synthetic benchmarks as far as performance figures go as they're always made to be unrealistically stressful, but they are good for stability testing. It's also useful at a glance to compare performance between two dissimilar systems, as compared to a review site doing benchmarks of games where they can make the systems identical aside from the cards and drivers.

Something I do appreciate is the power efficiency, under idle, my system from the wall plus monitor (uses ~40w) pulls 121w according to my UPS, while under Superposition load, 380w, so about 80w idle (God that sounds like a lot...) and ~350w under load without monitor for an upper mid range system is pretty darn good. According to GPUz, under idle and max under load:

Something else I'm having to get used to on the GPU is the "boost clock", something I'm also going to have to get used to when I get my 3700X in (now Friday, grr...). I'm used to setting a clock speed and it runs at that clock speed, both on a GPU and CPU, but on my GPU, setting a 2130mhz GPU speed and seeing it never run faster than 2030mhz does throw me for a bit of a loop, and I'm sure you're seeing the same thing with your 5700X with AMD's "Boost Clock" and "Game Clock"  nonsense.

0 Likes