Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Key-J
Paragon

Tips to improve general performance

Hey Support Forums!

Greetings from the Red Team side of the communities.

I recently did a nice upgrade to my system and I feel like I might not be receiving the performance I was expecting. Not just in gaming, but even when using things like File Explorer, I just notice it to be a bit sluggish.

Here are my core details.

• Mobo: ASRock Z690 Phantom Gaming 4
  • CPU: i9-12900k (Don't judge me, I won it)
  • GPU: Radeon RX6600XT
  • RAM: 2x 16gb 3200Mhz
  • PSU: 850W

I was wondering if you Gurus over here might be able to give me some tips or tricks on things I can do to pull a bit more efficiency out of my system. Things that might just make it run a little smoother. Maybe things that can help clean up any junk that might be slowing me down?

I'm not really looking to OC anything.

Thank you in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving / Black Friday!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
0 Likes
6 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

Three things I would suggest:

1. 32GB of RAM, check to see what RAM the I9 supports. You may want to select something in the neighbor hood of 3600 - 4200 and use the 16GB 3200 in another machine. My desktop has a Ryzen 7 2700X and it recognizes up to 3200. I also have a Ryzen 9 3900X and it only recognizes the 3200 also. I was looking at the specs for the I9 12900K and it is compatible for DDR5 4800 MT/s.
  2. Enable XMP
  3. If you go with the DDR5 RAM also consider either Triple Channel or Quad Channel (if that is what they are referring to the Flex Channel). These should help some.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Sorry didn't see the 2 x 16.

0 Likes

Are you aware of the virtual memory storage in Windows. I learned years ago that if you set the virtual memory storage to a different physical drive it will help some. That should also increase with the adoption of the NVMe drives.

Select Settings then scroll down to the ABOUT then select Advanced System Settings. System Properties should pop up. System Performance will come up, now select the Advanced tab then select the CHANGE button in the virtual memory. I let Windows manage the size to set but I change the location to a second physical drive, preferably a high speed one that I have a partition labeled Virtual Memory.

Key-J
Paragon

Thank you everyone for the replies so far!

I forgot to mention that I am running DDR4 RAM.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hey,
Have you done some synthetic benches to check it if it falls short as well?

Is it a fresh Windows Install?

Any throttling?

Check if the iGPU is overriding the 6600XT, we had some Dell Precision Towers back at work being sluggish because they were giving "right of way" to the iGPU instead of the dedicated card. Maybe check if it is even possible to fully disable it on the BIOS.

Lastly, maybe a Clear CMOS?

I'll try to think on more things to troubleshoot.

The Englishman
0 Likes
Key-J
Paragon

Hey Team,

Thanks for your support. I took some actions and things do seem to be running that little bit smoother!

----------
0 Likes