Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Adept I
Adept I

Threadripper 1950X or Ryzen 7?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to change my old FX 4130 CPU to a new one for a PC which will be mainly used for gaming. There are some points to take into account :

• I play on a screen which resolution is 1080p and I do not care about having 10 million FPS, my screen is limited to 60 FPS.
  • I would like to be able to record my screen with the AMD ReLive without any lag in 60FPS.
  • I don't want my PC to be slowed down if I minimize a game (as with my FX 4130).
  • I do not want to need to change my CPU & motherboard within about 10 years.

So with the use of Directx12 in more and more games, and I think it will replace Directx11 in the coming years (I'm tempted to bet on it), I think the Threadripper is the right choice (with 32GB DDR4 2666 and a nice watercooling of course) but I would like to have your opinions.

What would you advise me? Threadripper or Ryzen 7?

Thank you and sorry for my bad English if I did mistakes.

Nicolas.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Threadripper 1950X or Ryzen 7?

Jump to solution

Threadripper is for professional content creators, not gamers, so you will want Ryzen. Also, Ryzen works better with faster RAM, so you will want DDR4 3200.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Threadripper is for professional content creators, not gamers, so you will want Ryzen. Also, Ryzen works better with faster RAM, so you will want DDR4 3200.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer, I'll get a ryzen 7 then and thank you for the tip to use DDR4 3200.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Indeed, Ryzen 7 (or even 5) line is a better fit for most gamers.  Unless you need to run 4 GPU SLI/Crossfire for some reason.  Also, the higher clock memory the better.  If you can find >3200, go >3200.

0 Kudos