cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Re: The FCC voted: 6GHz Wi-Fi, here we come

When the governments of the world stop letting the telecoms companies dictate terms.

chad27
Adept II

I wonder if its the IP or game company servers? I have 1gb service but

0 Kudos

It's them manually capping them to prevent their own inadequate hardware or internet connection from crashing due to overload. As to when they'll lift that cap, probably not for a long time to come. At 30MB/s, a 60GB game can be downloaded in about half an hour, and with algorithms which allow you to download the critical files first and play while the rest downloads. That's plenty of incentive for them not to spend the money to upgrade their systems to allow gigabit speeds. There's also plenty of pressure from the owners of the backbones to keep speeds throttled.

This whole virus situation really showed how inadequate the USA and EU internet service really is, and it's not going to get any better anytime soon until the EU and FCC force telecoms companies to stop making insane profits for substandard service.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

black_zion wrote:

It's them manually capping them to prevent their own inadequate hardware or internet connection from crashing due to overload. As to when they'll lift that cap, probably not for a long time to come. At 30MB/s, a 60GB game can be downloaded in about half an hour, and with algorithms which allow you to download the critical files first and play while the rest downloads. That's plenty of incentive for them not to spend the money to upgrade their systems to allow gigabit speeds. There's also plenty of pressure from the owners of the backbones to keep speeds throttled.

This whole virus situation really showed how inadequate the USA and EU internet service really is, and it's not going to get any better anytime soon until the EU and FCC force telecoms companies to stop making insane profits for substandard service.

It's just as bad in Canada with the oligopoly not being there for the consumer.

I am aware that locally there is now so much fiber installed that there is a 97% capacity underutilization.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

Of course we just put in new access points at work and I got new ones at home in January. 

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

pokester wrote:

Of course we just put in new access points at work and I got new ones at home in January. 

my old 802.11ac box still works, but when DOCSIS 4.0 hardware surfaces I will swap it out

much of the hardware I have is < 802.11ax so the motivation is negligible at the moment

0 Kudos