cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Re: Telemetry and Data Collection on Windows 10. You can disable it...

Yes, but even if you tell Microsoft to feck off, disable everything you're supposed to, and even create a local account instead of a Microsoft account, Windows 10 still phones a Microsoft server if you search from the taskbar.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/software/windows-10-search-bar-phones-home-to-microsoft-even-with-bi...

0 Likes
backFireX64
Forerunner

That is correct.

That is why i use the well known "godmode" hidden folder to keep everything in a single handy place. Is it safe i wonder ? Not sure...

Hiding the search taskbar is easy though, and i seldom used it on windows 8.1 anyway, so no harm i guess. Still...

You even phone Microsoft by just using the settings app. Go figure !

There are... ways... scripts... that one can find on the internet from allegedly trusted sources to bypass most of it, but an advanced user would probably go through the default windows firewall and disable/ block some outbound rules, or even customize a bit, for some of the core and advanced system apps and services that are responsible for a wide variety of system functionality and provide Microsoft with data about the user/ system.

0 Likes
ashton
Adept II

Hello again,

I was wondering is doing this worth it and what are the positive effects? Will it avoid unnecessary data transfer since I have a data cap with Comcrap now? Also does it improve performance?

Thx

0 Likes
backFireX64
Forerunner

Hello again mate.

To answer you truthfully, i haven't noticed any improvement on windows or software/ game performance by disabling most of the data collection feedback from microsoft.

Maybe it is the fact that i use a fast SSD for windows and basic programs, or the fact that my whole system is fast for multitasking.

I am using spybot's anti-beacon to block most of it, and i use it just for extra privacy.

Is it worth it ?

The experts say... yes !

Does it improve performance ?

Hmmm.... maybe it will be better noticeable on a netbook or something. Since i have experience of the early previews of windows 10 on a weak netbook, i can surely say that i got very noticeable lag back then. It was since rectified by installing the RTM version of windows 10 and by disabling telemetry.

My desktop did not suffer from the extra lag though. Well, maybe a little back then (insider preview).

It depends on how fast is the system/ hardware i guess.

0 Likes
ashton
Adept II

Hi,

Great reply. Thank you! I will go with the privacy part since I doubt I will notice anything on my desktop rig. Thanks for the anti-beacon tip. I will install it on my baby 10' laptop.

Take care!

0 Likes
backFireX64
Forerunner

I just wonder how many social media users are complaining about windows 10 data collection...

The irony !!!

Cheers

0 Likes