cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

backFireX64
Forerunner

Telemetry and Data Collection on Windows 10. You can disable it...

Sharing a nice article on how to send a bit of less data to Microsoft when using their latest OS:

How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

Involves some registry tweaking, so take this into account with the usual risks before doing so !

15 Replies
backFireX64
Forerunner

Re: Telemetry and Data Collection on Windows 10. You can disable it...

I noticed that by disabling telemetry/ data feedback completely i could not get search suggestions (either locally from my own computer, or from the internet via Edge browser) when typing into the "Ask me anything" field on taskbar with Cortana enabled.

Voice commands to Cortana AI were working normally though.

Not a big deal, but search suggestions, with the speed and practicality it works, is a big plus for most Windows 10 users i imagine, so keep that in mind.

If anyone finds any other noticeable negative side effects from disabling telemetry completely, please do share !

And thanks in advance.

backFireX64
Forerunner

Yeah... i just disabled telemetry again and restarted my PC just to make sure and everything was fine, including search suggestions, so kindly ignore my previous comment.

Maybe it has to do something with the active background app setting.... particularly the one about Edge.... Tinkering with the new OS is like having a new girlfriend all over again. I love it !.

Having Windows 7 is like that 10 year old recliner that looks to be getting on in age but is so comfortable you could fall asleep on it every night.

backFireX64
Forerunner

Actually... i found out that it is the latest Kaspersky Internet Security software version that has some bugs/ incompatibilities that affect Windows 10, including "start menu" and "search result field" functionality :

[Bug 1228949] Windows 10 start menu items won't pin-unpin with Kaspersky - Kaspersky Lab Forum

That explains why restarting the explorer.exe did the trick every single time.

Also, i can verify that 0-day protection from malwarebytes anti-exploit program is not functioning properly on browsers when used together with KIS 2016:

Browsers not opening with MBAE & Kaskpersky 16 - Anti-Exploit Product Support - Malwarebytes Forum

A shame really cause those two programs worked flawlessly in windows 8.1 64bit, but i am not 100% sure if that was the case from w8 initial launch and on or not.

So, nothing related to telemetry, but i wanted to clarify that and avoid any further confusion.

0 Likes
backFireX64
Forerunner

How to even compete with that remark ? Well done mate.

I still take the new girlfriend though... to make use of that recliner.... along with all the usual risks...

0 Likes

Come 2020 people aren't going to have a choice but to go to 10, but hopefully by then all the information gathering crap will be removed, or there will be procedures to remove it, and automatic forced updates will have been as long forgotten as the Dreamcast.

0 Likes
backFireX64
Forerunner

That's the thing isn't it ?

Microsoft, and every other large player on the market pie are after our privacy and personal profile.

Every last bit and byte of information they can use for marketing purposes, that can be redistributed, reselled and reused.

How ?

By making an OS's major characteristics and selling points (so to speak) dysfunctional or partly functional offline, forcing you to be part of the cloud.

And send a little bit of bit "feedback" along the way...

About the Dreamcast... it was actually a quite powerful and promising console at the time, but failed on so many other levels unfortunately.

Just look at what Nintendo did with the GameCube and what it could have been, given some better third-party game studio support, like Sony invested early on...

Bring on some good HD Remake of Shenmue i say !

0 Likes

The sad thing is that not very long ago Microsoft made themselves out to be a privacy champion, enabling "do not track" by default in IE. But Windows 10 is so bad it's even got Russian Communists wanting it to be banned.

Windows 10 service agreement stirs espionage fears in Russian Communists — RT Russian politics

0 Likes
backFireX64
Forerunner

Yeah... that's why they want a worldwide internet infrastructure of their own built up from scratch with their own technology and similar level of control, tactics and politics

Nothing new, and i believe that they already have their own advanced counter-tactics on the internet.

I can post links with ways to disable all kinds of data feedback and pings back to Microsoft for w10 users, but i am afraid that we'll only be left with an os similar to w7, just more broken... and that is the most sad thing about the new os for me.

Then again, every social media activity we attend to, every online gaming session we take, and usually in daily terms, gives something on the cloud about us, including browser search-engines, so it is a more complicated and spanning problem in my opinion.

0 Likes