cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

PiLoT_88_Gr
Journeyman III

System unstable and hard freeze

Hello to all friends.  I have a problem for a few months now with my system. The system was made at early 2019. The specs are:

1. Amd Ryzen 5 2600 with Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim cpu cooler because the original from amd sucked
  2. Asus Tuf b450 plus 
  3. Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3000MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) set up in xmp 2 profile in bios 2966mhz
  4. Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB Gaming
  5. Corsair Force MP510 240GB for windows 10 main boot disk , 2 SSDs for linux and 2 HDD for other files, so totally 5 drives
  6. Corsair VS650 PSU 80plus wich is the oldest part from my previous 2014 build but never had any problems
  7. 5 fans, the one is rgb the others simple
  8. A simple 24''FHDmonitor/mouse/keyboard 

My problem is that, in random times, maybe once or two per week , or once per 2 days, the pc suddenly and ONLY when idle (downloading something or browsing internet etc, NEVER ever happend while playing games , rendering videos or hard multitasking, or even in numberous stress tests i have done) hard freezes. 

That means that for 1 or 2 minutes i can use already opened programs but no others , i can open task manager but i cannot end a task, keyboard and mouse works. After 1 or 2 minutes pc totally hangs and i must hard reset it from button. Keep in mind that the image in screen doesnt disappear and no BSOD have ever happened. When that occures , i have seen two things:

1. ​ My rgb fan stucks to a colour (i have set it in rainbow mode) and that means that software doesnt work anymore or CPU-MOBO combo lost connection
  2. In task manager, GPU utilization is showing -1% , yes minus one percent!!!!!! How can that even be possible?

The real problem is that i cannot see anything on event viewer , no crash dumps have been made. The only thing that it says ,is event kernel something that windows didnt shut down properly. 

​What i have done about it already:

1. Changed mobo to this ASUS that i currenlty have from MSI Tomahack, because i had a problem with the sound and thought that mobo was the problem. Now with ASUS , sound is ok but problem still occures.
  2. Checked with every possible program every disk for errors. The only one that popped up 1 time and the never again , is a HDD that HARD DISK SENTINEL showed problems in communication between host and disk 26708 times. 
  3. Check with 3 memtest (widnows test, memtest86+ and memtest86) ram for issues , leaved it overnight with no errors, except in memtest86+ that in test 7 showed a few errors but i read that is an very old abandoned test not suitable for modern amd cpus and that might be most probably a bug. 
  4. Runed prime85 , cinebench, aida and furmark benchmarks for a quite logn period of time >1hours , with no problems. 
  5. Played Cyberpunk, witcher 3, pubg, cs go and many other games with the maximum settings my gpu can handle with no problems ever\
  6. Checked every cable and connector inside and outside the pc and none was loosen or destroyed. 
  7. Updated BIOS to latest version
  8. All drivers are updated to latest version (amd gpu drivers , chipset drivers etc) and i have set the amd ryzen power plan. 
  9. Fast boot enable or disabled didnt make any change
  • MSI afterburner enable or disabled didnt make any change
  • Aurus sync for rgb enable or disabled didnt make any change
  • XMP on or of didnt make any change
  • Checked thermals , change thermal compound on cpu, everything is great (GPU max temp<70 and CPU max temp<67

What i am thinking:

1. ​MOBO is most probably not the problem because i changed it one time
  2. CPU had two benned pins that i fixed (maybe that made a damage ??) The pins were slightly benned and i just took a toothpick and with little force made them straight again.  This happened 1 year ago and i dont think that its the problem
  3. All started after i changed my PC CASE from a coolermaster to an aerocool and istalled the rgb fan in addition to the others. dunno if that matters
  4. Becaue i never had any problems when gpu and cpu hit max clock speeds , i believe that PSU is not the problem, or else in high demand states would had gave me BSOD or lags or something.
  5. I am making PCs from a little kid (now i am 33 years old) and this is the first time i dont know what the problem is.
  6. I will try working only in linux (ubuntu) for a few days to see if the problem replicates there. If not, well then its a win 10 related issue. If yes, its a hardware failure.

What do u think about all these? Can anybody give me tip or anybody had the same experience?

Sorry for the long post and i am thankful for all the imminent answers.

0 Likes
4 Replies
PiLoT_88_Gr
Journeyman III

Any thoughts?

0 Likes

Hey Pilot. I've been having very similar issues to what you described, although my setup is fairly different. I made a post over on tenforums to see if I could get any help but so far none of the advice offered has helped me. If you want you can follow my post there in case someone suggests something that would help your situation: https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/173540-windows-10-freezing-how-fix.html

If you find anything that helps your issue I would greatly appreciate it if you could share what you did. Thanks!

0 Likes
Mozart
Adept I

You have probably already tried it but I had this EXACT problem and I disable global c-state and now it seems to be stable and I have this issue on a crosshair viii hero WiFi with a 5600x and 2080

0 Likes
caleb_cruze
Adept II

Reasons that cause your PC to hang or freeze:

1. Too Many Apps Running

Each application open on your system takes some internal and hardware resources to keep running. If multiple apps and programs are running, your PC may run low on resources as memory is used by a number of applications. To avoid this, it is advisable to run one program at a time to make sure that computer freeze is not caused due to running multiple apps at the same instance of time.

2. Driver Issues

Outdated or damaged drivers can also be the reason behind frequent computer freezes. If video drivers being installed on your system are not updated, the computer might hang up while you attempt to play a video or a game. Analyze Windows Device Manager to ensure no ‘Other Devices’ are connected. Also, examine the list of devices to check that no exclamation mark exists corresponding to a device driver or if there is any red X marked next to the device.

3. Operating System Issues

To ensure the smooth functioning of the machine, make sure that all updates are installed. To be able to keep the system updated, it is vital that you use a legal copy of the operating system. It is advisable to always run a legal copy of Microsoft Windows to be able to download updates. If you are using Windows 10, the update option is automatically turned on. Windows do not allow turning this option off for home users.

4. Excess Heating Up

If the temperature of your system processor is higher than usual, the chances are that the computer may freeze. The symptoms through which you can detect the higher temperature of your processor are abnormal noise on startup and high squealing.

Analyze the system when you turn it on and listen carefully to the sound generated by the fan. Also, monitor the RPM, enter CMOS setup and ensure that no error message is reported by the BIOS.

5. Hardware Misconfiguration

One major reason behind the computer freeze issue is hardware misconfiguration. This may have occurred due to misconfigured hardware component that you recently installed on your computer.

The hardware component you installed recently may be incompatible with the computer. Remove that hardware and then test whether the computer is running smoothly. Then look for the most appropriate alternative for the removed hardware mechanism.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Caleb

0 Likes