cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ewki
Adept I

super slow boot time Ryzen 7 7700 , X670E ,64gb cl30 6000mhz EXPO .

so I have a system with X670E Taichi BIOS version 1.11 , R7 7700 , 64GB (2x32gb) CL30 600MHZ G.Skill EXPO memory , 6950XT Red Devil . and I experience ridiculous post times I've tried enabling and disabling the context restore option but it does not make any significant difference . does anyone have a similar system and what are your post/boot times or is there any other solution to this?

11 Replies

Hi, I have the same exact memory and motherboard with Ryzen 9 7900. My boot times are around 63 seconds to get into windows. From what I read having 2x16gb sticks is faster. It also seems that those with some other boards and 16gb sticks can get into windows as fast as 30 seconds, Not fast but better than 63sec. However, for Video and photo editing, some programs will use beyond 32gb so I wanted to be future-proof with my build.

I have spent nearly 4 days looking to see if there are solutions. Unfortunately, Asrock x670E Taichi is an amazingly built board with about the best power regulation on the market at any price. I have some serious USB DAC-streamer and speakers hooked up to it making the 8-layer board and power regulation really important for noise suppression. So I do not want to give it up for 20 seconds in boot times. Also, it could get faster with future Bios releases.

Yeah having 2x16 is way faster but still far from ideal post times, I've spent 1200 on the board and memory alone and it's ridiculous to be treated like beta tester and there is still not even a mention on this from AMD side is it ever going to get fixed. Like you said it's great board and I also bought it because of the feature set more than anything else but having to wait every time 2 minutes to start using my PC is ridiculous in 2023, AMD gone back to 90's with AM5 and I feel scammed because no one said anything about this, they said it's only going to be first boot but that is a lie, my next system is going to be Intel for sure. 

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Is it possible that it is running some analysis on the internet?  For example; connecting to Steam.

The first thing I would do is uninstall any and all software.  Then update chipset and GPU drivers.  Then disable Windows UPDATE.  See what happens when you boot to a cleaned system.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

I've said post times, " post " refers to when you press the power button until you get signal on your screen and from where you can enter the BIOS. (POST) A Power-On Self-Test. My boot times from there to OS are fine. But post itself takes about a minute alone which should not be more than 5 seconds really. 

If your POST is taking that long it sounds like a compatibility issue with memory or other hardware.  According to ASROCK your memory is supported and should not be an issue.  Now I'm not so sure about the LAN, WI-FI and Bluetooth.  Your board uses the Killer chip in those components.  I have that on one of my boards, I want to say an MSI 990FXA and it was constantly a royal pain.  I've since got 3 MSI boards that use the Intel chips for those devices.  I'm sorry 4 motherboards, my laptop is also Intel WI-FI and Bluetooth.  Have you tried disabling all networking just for curiosity.  I'm not sure if it will affect the POST or not.

Just a response to turning your back on AMD.  Intel has their issues also.  They are no better or no worse.  Problems will occur regardless of brand.  I'm certain that it is a compatibility issue in the hardware.  That is the major cause of long post times.  

My desktop is a Ryzen 5 3600 on an MSI MPG X570 board with a Radeon R480X gpu and GSKILL Ripjaws 32GB and post times are 26 seconds.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

Asrock Just came out with a Bios update today that cut my power on time from 63 seconds down to 23 seconds.

What BIOS Version, what board and memory configuration? 

0 Likes
simeongg
Adept II

Heya for everything about Asrock I recommend this forum https://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/index.php, it is german language, but this guy make a lot of oficial beta BIOSes for Asrock boards. Ask your problem there too. On my current build I have 2x 8 TB HDDs /normal HDDs for storage/ and this disks slow down my boot time, like 20-30 secs+ /I hear how they spin up, before windows begin to load/. You can say what is your storage config, NVME, SSDs, HDDs. 

Also can check this thread about BIOS updates:

https://shop.jzelectronic.de/news.php?kat=Bios

KamAMD
Journeyman III

Hey Guys,

I used Asus Proart X670E Creator with AMD RyzenTM 9 7950X3D in my build and as you may know, the slow boot time is the main issue. Does anybody here have some advice to set up bios for a much fast reboot time? I already set the Memory context restore to enabled, but any details it'll help!

0 Likes

The memory context restore (when it works) should do wonders alone. I have it off for stability with 21secs to post but with MCR on its 8secs to post. That is just about the same as my last AM4 platform. 

I guess you can cut down the time bios reserves to enter bios down from 5 to 1sec. I actually put 0.

The Englishman
0 Likes
dwaynek
Journeyman III

I have an x670e motherboard as well (Gigabyte x670e aorus extreme) and I think amd has really dropped the ball on the x670e architecture. I've had ridiculous boot times and complete hangs during memory training (no boot even after 45 mins).

its definitely not software related because this is even before the operating system is loaded and definitely hardware compatibility but this just shows amd really didn't do enough testing with 3rd party equipment before releasing this to the public.

even with just a basic nvidia rtx 4080 founders ed, a single gskill memory stick and an nvme, no usb devices except keyboard and mouse, my boot times to even start showing bios codes (not to full OS login screen) varies from 31 seconds to over 3 minutes. absolutely ridiculous!

0 Likes