cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

So I Got My First BSOD

So, I booted up my PC and got a BSOD shortly after entering my pin. How do I locate the dump files? It flashed so fast I couldn't read the error code.

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi

Ryzen 7 3700X - Stock

Corsair H100i Elite Capellix 240mm AIO

4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz

Gigabyte RX 6800 XT Gaming OC - Stock

Crucial P2 500GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD

WDBlack SN750 1TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD

Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD

Corsair RM850x 850watt PSU

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Have you seen if the event viewer can return anything useful?

That's how I traced some crashes and stuttering to a severe case of bad sectors and system corruption.

The Englishman

Thank you for the suggestions.  

I Ran SFC and DISM also CHKDSK. Nothing came up wrong. I looked in event viewer but I'm not too sure what to look for. I did notice it said my computer shutdown improperly last night when I went to bed.

Since the restart it hasn't happened again but I am looking at how to isolate the issue and find what happened. Looking at the DMP file right now. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA is what I found in the DMP file.

So, this can be a number of things. I am going to write it off as a fluke unless it happens again.  

This site just has a lot to look through and so far this PC has had two BSOD including this most recent one since I built it two years ago. I will run CHKDSK /F when I go to bed tonight and see what it finds. I really hope it isn't bad RAM or DIMM Slots because that is a hassle to find which slot and which DIMMS need replaced.  

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
Willjoe2442
Journeyman III

First thing you can do when you face this error is Update hardware drivers in Windows. Most Blue Screens of Death are hardware or driver-related, so updated drivers could fix the cause of the STOP error. Check the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for errors or warnings that might provide more clues on the cause of the BSOD.

Regards,
Willjoe

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

That PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA surely looks a memory error. Could be in the RAM modules, it sometime happens as we don't have ECC memory or in the virtual chunk (pagefile) that occurs in the boot drive. 

The latter could in some rare instances cause corruption or bad sectors, but its very very rare. I believe you have nothing to worry about. 

You can give it a go with memtest86 for a couple of hours just to double check. 

The Englishman