General Discussions

alcala94131
Journeyman III

Screen banding issues on Prime video player

Dell XPS 8500,Win 10 Pro

AMD Radeon RX 470, Radeon Crimson 16.11.3

BenQ XL2720Z

Issue occurs on Edge, Chrome, Vivaldi, and IE 11

Prior to upgrading from a AMD Radeon HD7570, I had no issues with video playback.

I upgraded to the Radeon RX470, and am now experiencing white banding across the screen during playback. This is manifested as white bands that extend across the screen, that shift position during playback (i.e., they move, usually starting at the bottom and move, apparently randomly, throughout the screen).

This happens in any browser I use (Chrome, Edge, IE 11, Vivaldi), and appears whether through auto or SD settings.

Looked around user forums, but not seeing anything about this, have also posted on Amazon forums.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
janagewen
Challenger

Re: Screen banding issues on Prime video player

Hello alcala94131,

This is a serious problem. I just wish to power off your machine right now! This question mostly happens when the power supply could not satisfy your hardware, such as GPU and so forth. Or something physically wrong with your graphics card or mainboard. I just wish that you could contact with the vendor(s) of your Radeon HD7570 first, to hear what they say.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
janagewen
Challenger

I am glad to hear you replies.

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

Have you disabled hardware acceleration in your browser(s)?

alcala94131
Journeyman III

Thank you for your very helpful response;

The card has been in the PC for over a month, and am not experiencing any issues which would lead me to believe the PSU is an issue.  Except for my reboots (and the ones instigated by Windows 10 for updates), the system has been rock stable for this time.  I've been watching the temps for all the devices on the PC, and nothing shows anything that would cause concern over the power draw and temperatures.

The Dell PSU which came with this PC is very reliable. Of the 455 watts that the PSU is capable of, about 380 are on the 12v rail.  GPU manufacturers overstate their power needs, and reviewing the relevant literature leads me to believe that this is not the issue.

Thank you very much however for your concern, and I always appreciate any response!

Warm regards;

Alberto

0 Kudos
alcala94131
Journeyman III

Thanks you for your response!

Disabling hardware acceleration did mitigate the frequency and intensity of the redraws, though they are still there in limited fashion.

Maybe the codecs Amazon uses are the issue?  No problems with Youtube, inline video from news sites, no issues with DVD playing on PC (Power DVD 14), Microsoft Movie, Quicktime, or VLC player.

Thank you again for your helpful insights!

Warm regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
janagewen
Challenger

OK, if you think that is not the problem I describe, everything would be ok.

0 Kudos