Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

thecreg
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: RX480 Heat related issue?

Hi ambrose,

Yes I've left them a message. Worst case scenario I'll get it returned on warranty, and get them to replace the GPU.

Thanks for your help.

I'll keep you posted if I learn anything new!

0 Kudos
sanaell
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hi there,

Well I run an AMD FX8320E + RX480 MSI Gaming X 8G.

you could run CAM 3.0 (quite cool tools for monitoring fps, temps etc...)

the GPU can reach 65-77 when fully loaded (DOOM VULKAN FULL SETUP)

my tower is a mid tower with 1 exaust fan back, 2 exaust top and only 1 input front bottom (actually I do have a small one that blow on the back plate of the card)

0 Kudos
tynyt
Adept II
Adept II

Hi,

first of all, you completely missed a fact that the CPU itself has TDP of 125W which almost matches the TDP of the video card. Although the CPU is supported by the MB vendor (GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE ) it's clear that 125W TDP is the maximum the MB can handle (hence the MB operates closely to its maximum). This might be a bottleneck as well, because of the VRMs onboard and/or power distribution through the MB and not the PSU.

Second: I personally recommend to use AMD 990 chipsets with FX8xxx CPUs as well as use of 3rd party thermal solution (cooler). However I'd start with stress tests of the CPU and GPU (OCCT + furmark) and see if the temperatures and/or voltages are going over the specs and which component is causing the hangs. My guess is the CPU.

0 Kudos